R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   ENGINE BEARINGS (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/340327-engine-bearings.html)

THE GREEK FREAK 10-30-2009 12:22 PM

ENGINE BEARINGS

HELLO, I WOULD LIKE TO SOLVE A PROBLEM OF MY OWN. DO THE BEARINGS HAVE ANY ISSUE IN SEALING A NITRO ENGINE, BOTH IN AND OUT BEARINGS OF THE CRANK. DO WE HAVE TO CHANGE THE BEARINGS AFTER A CERTAIN PERIOD? DO THE BEARINGS IN ANY WAY SEAL THE ENGINE FROM ANY AIR LEAKS? THANK YOU.:confused:

Racecrafter 10-30-2009 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by THE GREEK FREAK (Post 6542513)
HELLO, I WOULD LIKE TO SOLVE A PROBLEM OF MY OWN. DO THE BEARINGS HAVE ANY ISSUE IN SEALING A NITRO ENGINE, BOTH IN AND OUT BEARINGS OF THE CRANK. DO WE HAVE TO CHANGE THE BEARINGS AFTER A CERTAIN PERIOD? DO THE BEARINGS IN ANY WAY SEAL THE ENGINE FROM ANY AIR LEAKS? THANK YOU.:confused:

If you have a front bearing with a worn seal you will experience an air leak.

bgbelden 10-30-2009 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Racecrafter (Post 6542668)
If you have a front bearing with a worn seal you will experience an air leak.

Even new bearings leak but a worn bearing will leak enough 2 cause idling issue's :tire::):):tire:

Frank L 10-30-2009 07:07 PM

I find that high end TKO ceramic bearings last about 5 gallons. I never replace bearings with stock and some engine builders will advise to replace the front bearing every gallon, that seems a little excessive to me but that's what I have been told.

THE GREEK FREAK 10-31-2009 09:29 AM

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR ADVICE. YOU GUYS WERE REALLY HELPFUL!!:nod:

houston 10-31-2009 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 6543756)
I find that high end TKO ceramic bearings last about 5 gallons. I never replace bearings with stock and some engine builders will advise to replace the front bearing every gallon, that seems a little excessive to me but that's what I have been told.

replace when they leak horribly .;), dirt goes in and out of front bearings :nod:

every gallon may seem excessive for replacement but if the bearing leaks , the bearing leaks .

new bearings can leak as soon as you start using them but that does not mean they are leaking bad enough to cause tuning issues :D

Frank L 10-31-2009 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by houston (Post 6546115)
replace when they leak horribly .;), dirt goes in and out of front bearings :nod:

every gallon may seem excessive for replacement but if the bearing leaks , the bearing leaks .

new bearings can leak as soon as you start using them but that does not mean they are leaking bad enough to cause tuning issues :D

That's exactly what I do when the front starts to leak I replace it. The rear will make strange noises and then I replace it as well.

THE GREEK FREAK 11-01-2009 10:31 AM

THANKS AGAIN GREAT ADVICE. LET'S KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!:nod:

houston 11-01-2009 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 6546452)
That's exactly what I do when the front starts to leak I replace it. The rear will make strange noises and then I replace it as well.

tell tale sign for rear bearing issue is a funny rattling reverberating sound that is amplified by the cooling head . if you touch the head and it quiets down you might have an iffy rear main bearing ;)

Cory Kerber 11-01-2009 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by houston (Post 6546115)

I've got a question Monty. My front bearing in my grenade seems to be leaking, but not tuning issues. After a dusty day of practice the bearing was coated in oiled dirt. Should i replace the bearing if it isn't giving tuning issues?

cheapskate.brok 11-02-2009 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cory Kerber (Post 6551760)
My front bearing in my grenade seems to be leaking, but not tuning issues. After a dusty day of practice the bearing was coated in oiled dirt. Should i replace the bearing if it isn't giving tuning issues?

i wouldn't ;)

I usually poke my fore finger and move it fore, aft, and sideways to check for play.

Talking about the rear bearing :p

houston 11-02-2009 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cory Kerber (Post 6551760)
I've got a question Monty. My front bearing in my grenade seems to be leaking, but not tuning issues. After a dusty day of practice the bearing was coated in oiled dirt. Should i replace the bearing if it isn't giving tuning issues?

Not necessarily

But if it is leaving a good puddle of engine poo around the flywheel then you probably should .

There is really an engine named a grenade ?

Racecrafter 11-02-2009 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by houston (Post 6553755)
Not necessarily

But if it is leaving a good puddle of engine poo around the flywheel then you probably should .

There is really an engine named a grenade ?

Agreed!

And yes.... "Grenade".......... Only this one you throw after it blows up... :lol:

Actually I hear they are pretty darn good engines.

Cory Kerber 11-02-2009 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Racecrafter (Post 6554494)
Agreed!

And yes.... "Grenade".......... Only this one you throw after it blows up... :lol:

Actually I hear they are pretty darn good engines.

Yup Caster Grenade. Awesome engine, with extremely cheap parts. Similar to a Go engine.

merdith6 11-04-2009 12:16 AM

TKO or Nova bearings?

So the TKO bearings are good compared to the stock nova bearings? I've wanted to have some ceramic bearings in my engines, but never had a problem with stock ones either. The double shielded front bearings don't leak a bit. the older one sided ones did just slightly and never had an issue, now the rear bearing rattle sounds familiar, never knew what it was...Oopps...