R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic
 
mudboger07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 939
Default Dog Bone pins

In a losi 2.0 buggy can the pins in the dog bones be replaced or do I need to get new axles after they wear down?
__________________
Proud Sponsor of a 10 year old.....
losi 8ightB 2.0/DX3S/VSpec* Revo-3.3*mod slash*blade-mcx*axial GC2
Team Nitro** F-14*Team Terribles/Answer-RC

Ken
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
shanty140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,279
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

If it's the part I think you are saying here is a part number for the pins. Comes with other pins for the whole vehicle.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA3518
__________________
Race Vehicles:
Mugen MBX6T - Ninja JX.21 with EB Mods Headbutton, O.S. 2060 Pipe, DX3R, Hitec 7955TG Servos on LiPo
HPI Cup Racer - Murfdogg Synergy 17.5, Tekin RS Pro, 2S 40C 4200mah, DX3R, Sav÷x SC-1251MG Servo
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic
 
mudboger07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanty140 View Post
If it's the part I think you are saying here is a part number for the pins. Comes with other pins for the whole vehicle.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA3518
I hope thats what those are for, I just ordered them along with a ton of other parts. Now to figure out what to use to press them out and the new ones back in.....
__________________
Proud Sponsor of a 10 year old.....
losi 8ightB 2.0/DX3S/VSpec* Revo-3.3*mod slash*blade-mcx*axial GC2
Team Nitro** F-14*Team Terribles/Answer-RC

Ken
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

That Kit DOES not include the Dog bone end pins....those large 3mm pins are for the wheel hex's....you need either mugen or Xray 3x12.8 and 3x13 for the bone's....and on top of that you need a pin press of some sort....there are multiple version's you can buy....i personally use a Chain breaker style available on ebay for 35$. Also YOU MUST use Red Liquid red loc tite when pressing in the new pins....they can walk if you dont. (ask me how i know)

any more Q's shoot
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Tech Lord
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 11,530
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudboger07 View Post
..... Now to figure out what to use to press them out and the new ones back in.....
I use a small 1/4" drive socket and a bench vise. Put the socket on one side and use the vise t push the pin into the socket, when pin is flush with the side of the bone, I use a new pin to push it the rest of the way out into the socket.

That gets the new pin started, time for loctite. Remove old pin from the socket, line it all back up and push new pin the rest of the way in.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,037
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
I use a small 1/4" drive socket and a bench vise. Put the socket on one side and use the vise t push the pin into the socket, when pin is flush with the side of the bone, I use a new pin to push it the rest of the way out into the socket.

That gets the new pin started, time for loctite. Remove old pin from the socket, line it all back up and push new pin the rest of the way in.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo oooo

I see. Thanks!
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
shanty140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,279
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Sorry about that. I thought you were talking about the pins that hold the pins that hold the CV drive shaft to the CV Axle. After I read it again I should of known what you were talking about. My bad.
__________________
Race Vehicles:
Mugen MBX6T - Ninja JX.21 with EB Mods Headbutton, O.S. 2060 Pipe, DX3R, Hitec 7955TG Servos on LiPo
HPI Cup Racer - Murfdogg Synergy 17.5, Tekin RS Pro, 2S 40C 4200mah, DX3R, Sav÷x SC-1251MG Servo
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
Tech Master
 
bgbelden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cleveland, TN
Posts: 1,980
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

I've been told that the Mugen pins were the pins to get.
__________________
''Life's tough ........
it's even tougher if you're stupid..''
-- John Wayne
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
Tech Champion
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,376
Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)
Default

rumor is the xray pins are a little better, I used the mugen ones tho, and if you want to find the chain breaker Integra was talking about, this is the one I got. It works,but it takes a little patience. I found mine at a local motorcycle dealer....
http://www.motionpro.com/tech/articles/chain_breaker/
flame56mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:42 AM   #10
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame56mx View Post
rumor is the xray pins are a little better, I used the mugen ones tho, and if you want to find the chain breaker Integra was talking about, this is the one I got. It works,but it takes a little patience. I found mine at a local motorcycle dealer....
http://www.motionpro.com/tech/articles/chain_breaker/

that one you linked is NOT the one i use.......the Motion Pro Knock off i use is 35$ on ebay...the genuine Motion Pro Unit is near 100$.....Dont go to your LMS looking for a 35$ breaker like mine as you wont find it....ebay's where its at.


this is the unit I use.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...motiveQ5fTools
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:30 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic
 
mudboger07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
That Kit DOES not include the Dog bone end pins....those large 3mm pins are for the wheel hex's....you need either mugen or Xray 3x12.8 and 3x13 for the bone's....and on top of that you need a pin press of some sort....there are multiple version's you can buy....i personally use a Chain breaker style available on ebay for 35$. Also YOU MUST use Red Liquid red loc tite when pressing in the new pins....they can walk if you dont. (ask me how i know)

any more Q's shoot
Integra, Do you by chance have a part number for those pins? I have the means of pressing them out and back in, I just hate the idea of buying new axles when i can just replace the pins...

How far do you run the pins before replacing them? Mine just started to get a small flat spot on one side.
__________________
Proud Sponsor of a 10 year old.....
losi 8ightB 2.0/DX3S/VSpec* Revo-3.3*mod slash*blade-mcx*axial GC2
Team Nitro** F-14*Team Terribles/Answer-RC

Ken
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #12
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudboger07 View Post
Integra, Do you by chance have a part number for those pins? I have the means of pressing them out and back in, I just hate the idea of buying new axles when i can just replace the pins...

How far do you run the pins before replacing them? Mine just started to get a small flat spot on one side.


Ill normally flip the bones side to side first pending on the CV end wear and or press a new pin in.....5$ for 10 pin is cheap enough to just scrap them when they show significant wear

center's
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...28mm-Joint-Pin

wheel bones
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...13mm-Joint-Pin
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic
 
mudboger07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Ill normally flip the bones side to side first pending on the CV end wear and or press a new pin in.....5$ for 10 pin is cheap enough to just scrap them when they show significant wear

center's
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...28mm-Joint-Pin

wheel bones
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...13mm-Joint-Pin
Thanks Integra, I just called my lhs and ordered both, I'll turn the old ones around till they wear a little more to get more use out of them also...
__________________
Proud Sponsor of a 10 year old.....
losi 8ightB 2.0/DX3S/VSpec* Revo-3.3*mod slash*blade-mcx*axial GC2
Team Nitro** F-14*Team Terribles/Answer-RC

Ken
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing CVD pins CaptCrunch Nitro Off-Road 27 07-13-2009 03:01 PM
CVD Pins Where to buy jbrow1 Nitro Off-Road 15 02-02-2009 08:15 AM
Jammin x2 dog bone pin hobdog Nitro Off-Road 8 01-23-2009 05:39 PM
squared pins and notched drives NitroWD Nitro On-Road 6 10-20-2008 07:36 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:39 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net