Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Removing glued tyres >

Removing glued tyres

Removing glued tyres

Old 11-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Tech Regular

O.K. man this is what you do....

1. Set oven to 425

2. Wait until it reaches temp then "TURN THE OVEN OFFFF" yes!

3. Put your wheels in for 25 min. (check in if you want during)

4. After 25 min. pull them out to cool off.

5. When they're cooled use your thumbs to crack the old glue beads and your done.

6. Safe for tires, foams, and wheels to all be re-used....
Old 11-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rider313
if it dries take a dremel with a wire wheel to it.

i would not use a dremel.....Put it BACK in the acetone for a day and the glue will MELT off and dissolve in the acetone.....I tried the dremel trick a long time ago when i removed tires with the baking method and as i explained earlier that isn't a smart way to go about it as the glue is still bonded to the tire or the rim and pending on what your trying to save that might be a pain in the rear.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by xBRxSAIGON
O.K. man this is what you do....

1. Set oven to 425

2. Wait until it reaches temp then "TURN THE OVEN OFFFF" yes!

3. Put your wheels in for 25 min. (check in if you want during)

4. After 25 min. pull them out to cool off.

5. When they're cooled use your thumbs to crack the old glue beads and your done.

6. Safe for tires, foams, and wheels to all be re-used....

what about all the dried up Rock Hard glue that's left behind ?
Old 11-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a big lathe at home and i cut most of the rubber off the wheels 1st then lathe off the rest of the rubber and glue and it also roughs up the plastic bead just enough so when i reuse the wheels the glue sticks better.

I can do up 60 wheels an hour.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

will the acetone method ruin the tires in any way, like drying the oil out of the rubber?? i know it works great on rims, i just wonder about the tires??
Old 02-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by badjams
will the acetone method ruin the tires in any way, like drying the oil out of the rubber?? i know it works great on rims, i just wonder about the tires??
i didn't have ANY problems with my losi red compound step pin tires. keep in mind that I raised the wheels/tires above the acetone so they weren't actually touching the liquid. the only issue i ran into was glue residue after taking them out of the can. It wasn't that bad so i just mounted them again as i was replacing foams, not tires or wheels.

if you're saving the tires, let them soak in the fumes once to get the tires off the rim, then fumigate them again and be ready to wipe off the glue residue when you take them out of the container so the old glue doesn't dry and crust up like mine did :P
Old 02-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 271 (100%+)

For all of you using the acetone method I have some good news about the AKA tires and foams. I did not have 3-4 days to let the fumes do the work so I took a risk and submerged a full set of SS Gridirons.

I took an old kitty litter plastic container and a gallon of acetone and submerged the wheels for 12 hours. I took them out and the tires and foams came right off the wheel with just a small amount of glue left on the wheels and tires. I stuck the wheels and tires back in for just a minute and cleaned the rest of the glue off. The wheels were perfect as I knew they would be. I let the tires and foams dry for a few minutes and the foams were like new. Needless to say I glued a new set of tires with the same foams and wheels I had just acetoned and they glued up and felt just like they were all new again.

I would not suggest trying this with any other foam but if you want to experiment and let us know that would be awesome.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Tyres can be removed within 3-5 mins by using a heat gun,just warm them up and start breaking the bead.I use gloves as it will burn you.
It will not damage anything unless you hold the heat on it for too long.

You should do one side at a time and depending on glue strength it should only take 3-5 mins per wheel.

The other method is dunking them into almost boiling water.Take them out and try removing the tyres,if it won’t come off put them back into the water.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Tech Lord

Ive tried every method and Acetone is By far the best way....baking is imo one of the most annoying ways and never gets all the glue off the rim or tire...it just breaks the bond between the 2.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

When you use the acetone method, you put the acetone into a can then suspend the tires above it and let the fumes work. Do you put a lid back on the paint can while letting the fumes work or do you leave the lid off ?
Old 02-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MGT Fan
When you use the acetone method, you put the acetone into a can then suspend the tires above it and let the fumes work. Do you put a lid back on the paint can while letting the fumes work or do you leave the lid off ?
yes and yes. i only used maybe an inch to an inch and a half in a 5" diameter paint can, then made a ghetto tire stand from a clothes hanger to hold them up. Seal that sucker up and put it far away from ANY heat or flame.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

I just throw my truggy tires in a pot of boiling water. With in a hour i can peel them right off.

I do it cause I love the hobby and new tires, wheels and foam every week cost alot. So this is the best method I have tried...
Old 02-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Tech Lord

I use an Older style MT Rim to prop the tire up and do the inside first then peel the foam out then worry about the face edge.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

perfect timing i just cracked a AKA wheel last weekend will give the acetone method a whirl.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
perfect timing i just cracked a AKA wheel last weekend will give the acetone method a whirl.
I had the same problem but with a spripped wheel hex. The tires were 1 run old. so i just took fishing line and sent it threw the wheel and tied it to the handle of the bucket on each side, so it was suspended above the acetone. Put the lid on tight and forgot about it for 48+ hours and they pealed right off. the tires or the foams showed no dammage or warpadge and worked like new.

best method out there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.