R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-30-2009, 03:11 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

cool i haven't heard of the acetone method. so you just put an inch or so of acetone at the bottom of a coffee tin, have the wheel propped up above the liquid and seal 'er up for a day or two?

i forgot to cut my foams and my rear tires wobble like crazy, so would all three parts (tires, foam, and rim) be ok after using the acetone method? i ask because i used the boil method once and it was a huge pain in the butt and ended up warping/ruining the tires (probably my fault for trying to peel them away too soon ).
Old 10-30-2009, 06:53 AM   #17
Tech Lord

Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunchboX3904 View Post
cool i haven't heard of the acetone method. so you just put an inch or so of acetone at the bottom of a coffee tin, have the wheel propped up above the liquid and seal 'er up for a day or two?

i forgot to cut my foams and my rear tires wobble like crazy, so would all three parts (tires, foam, and rim) be ok after using the acetone method? i ask because i used the boil method once and it was a huge pain in the butt and ended up warping/ruining the tires (probably my fault for trying to peel them away too soon ).

you got it bud.....give it time and they will come off.....Different glue's have different holding strength...some are a Biatch to get off....some pop off like they weren't even glued on....take your time and you'll be impressed with the results.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:01 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

So do you guys cut your AKA foams out before using acetone?
bphil49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:12 AM   #19
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphil49 View Post
So do you guys cut your AKA foams out before using acetone?

depends what your trying to save.....if the tires are Toast ya just cut them off.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 10-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarynut View Post
hey guys FYI, we are all using the primary solvent for CA glue and don't even know it, look @ this link and read under "uses", I little info goes a long way
someone give it a try and report the outcome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitromethane
Sweet
Ofna Nitro DM1
offroad racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

I just removed 3 sets of rims that were soaking for about 3 weeks in a $7.00 plastic sealed bucket. The acetone was already old, brown and dirty. Rims that were not even in the acetone, the tires came right off with NO glue residue.

I reuse my AKA foams, you save like $20 on a set buying new AKAs' without the foam inserts.
aaron joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:32 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Has anyone tried the nitro way yet? I want to hear how it works out for you.
Ofna Nitro DM1
offroad racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:52 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

What I meant was will the acetone hurt the AKA foams?
bphil49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:56 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

what would be the bestt way to save the tires and foams, i got a set of aka cityblocks and the wheel hexes are stripped on two of the wheels but the tires have maybe one run on them so i want to save the tires and foams, rims are junk.
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:37 PM   #25
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider313 View Post
what would be the bestt way to save the tires and foams, i got a set of aka cityblocks and the wheel hexes are stripped on two of the wheels but the tires have maybe one run on them so i want to save the tires and foams, rims are junk.

Acetone but not submerge...let the fume's do their work.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:53 PM   #26
Tech Elite

k thanks. i will let them sit for a few days.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:42 AM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider313 View Post
k thanks. i will let them sit for a few days.
I cut the tires, and remove the AKA foams before i throw them in the acetone. Over night should do the trick.
I cut the rubber off only leaving the bead attached to the wheel, then fit as many as I can in the container im using, and soak overnight. Normally the rubber ring will just come right off.
If your using a molded foam, the acetone will more than likely eat up the foam. The tires will be OK though.
Hot Bodies/HPI - Track Star Services - Triton R/C - Alpha Plus Engines - Radiopost - Hemet Competition Raceway (HCR) - Hemet R/C (R.I.P)
itsshemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #28
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsshemp View Post
I cut the tires, and remove the AKA foams before i throw them in the acetone. Over night should do the trick.
I cut the rubber off only leaving the bead attached to the wheel, then fit as many as I can in the container im using, and soak overnight. Normally the rubber ring will just come right off.
If your using a molded foam, the acetone will more than likely eat up the foam. The tires will be OK though.

he is wanting to save the tire's and foams...the hex's he said are stripped out...IF the tire was gone and all you wanted was the foam and rim then by all means cutting them off is a lot easier then not.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

OK, the acetone fumes worked great, but what's the best way to clean the glue off the rest of the rims?

Thx.
JodyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyJ View Post
OK, the acetone fumes worked great, but what's the best way to clean the glue off the rest of the rims?

Thx.
if it dries take a dremel with a wire wheel to it.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"