I know a guy

Old 10-27-2009, 05:31 AM
Tech Addict

Default I know a guy

I know a guy who had a friend use a brand new Hudy set-up station to dial in his car. Well the next day they went out of town to Fun Hobby R/c to a race.The car would not handle he could not make 1 lap without crashing it was the weirdest handling thing i have ever seen.Well a week or so later his buddy told him he had dialed in positive camber instead of negative and that was the issue, something about it changes when the wheels and tires are off/on and you need to compensate for that at the time of set up while the wheels are off. i swear , I could not make it around 1 time without crashing, i was so baffled i thought it was tires and I know I suck but dam..... it was the craziest handling thing i have ever seen.....it was like driving a school bus while drunk..... but you know what, I am not up tight about it, I had fun that day anyway and it was a buddy doing me a favor and to me that is more important than winning.I also learned something.My buddy had his car set up i dentical and he kicked butt, just goes to show you a dam good driver can quickly adjust to things.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This has happened to many people who have set their 1/8th buggies up using a set-up station. I personally had this same sort of experience but I immediately remedied it by readjusting the car with a simple camber gauge. The set-up station was sold the following day and the problems went with it
Old 10-27-2009, 06:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I bought a team magic setup station and since the first time i put my buggy on it,it handles better then ever!!! I think the problem is that people dont make sure the station is setting level and that you have to make sure the ride hight is were its suposed to be before adjusting things or your setting will be off. Maybe the guy didnt check were you run your ride hight and it messed up your camber settings.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Champion

Thats awesome! Dialed the camber the wrong way! LOL!

I love my setup station. Every tune and every setup I use is perfectly repeatable. When I was without it I was allways chasing a tune. Now I know what setting is doing what. Can feel a huge change every time to the track.

It's nice having my steering EPAs set nearly the same with even throw and very little trim needed.

My car goes into its SS before every practice day or race. And sometimes after the practice day/race to record the changes I made at the track.

You can't dial in camber useing a gauge and wheels when your wheels have 2 degrees of wobble. Nothing like setting toe and camber to a warped wheel to mess up your tune.

Its surprizing what adjusting the rear camber can do to a Nitrobuggy.

You have to lock the car down on the 30mm Hudy blocks so that you can get consistant readings to record. The camber will be different at ride ht.

Also you need to set camber, toe, camber, toe , camber. Your camber changes when you adjust toe and vice versa so you have to double check both after adjusting either.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PTP Racing
This has happened to many people who have set their 1/8th buggies up using a set-up station. I personally had this same sort of experience but I immediately remedied it by readjusting the car with a simple camber gauge. The set-up station was sold the following day and the problems went with it
+1
Old 10-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Thats awesome! Dialed the camber the wrong way! LOL!

I love my setup station. Every tune and every setup I use is perfectly repeatable. When I was without it I was allways chasing a tune. Now I know what setting is doing what. Can feel a huge change every time to the track.

It's nice having my steering EPAs set nearly the same with even throw and very little trim needed.

My car goes into its SS before every practice day or race. And sometimes after the practice day/race to record the changes I made at the track.

You can't dial in camber useing a gauge and wheels when your wheels have 2 degrees of wobble. Nothing like setting toe and camber to a warped wheel to mess up your tune.

Its surprizing what adjusting the rear camber can do to a Nitrobuggy.

You have to lock the car down on the 30mm Hudy blocks so that you can get consistant readings to record. The camber will be different at ride ht.

Also you need to set camber, toe, camber, toe , camber. Your camber changes when you adjust toe and vice versa so you have to double check both after adjusting either.
Tell me, and I'm not trying to be a smart azz, do you have a real job? I mean after I clean it, check it close, and put everything away Sunday is shot out. I just use a camber gauge and dail calipers and put everything back the way it started. Time well spent on weekends. The ole lady gets the rest. I'm just saying...
Old 10-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

If you know the buggy 4-5 hours should clean and rebuild it. Maybe less.

I really liked the Hudy Set-up. I didn't think it mattered till I lined up everything on my RC10 B3 years ago. It opened my eyes.

TC same thing.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

im not trying to be a smart ass either or captain of the obvoius but i really find it difficult to beleive that because you set your car up on a setup station that it caused the car to be as bad as you say. if you do it right you should be pretty darn close but i only use the setup station after a complete fresh rebuild to get it close other wise i use a can of motorspray to set my camber (poor mans camber gauge) but really if someone has you beleiving that then i dont know what to tell you
Old 10-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by The Working Man
Tell me, and I'm not trying to be a smart azz, do you have a real job? I mean after I clean it, check it close, and put everything away Sunday is shot out. I just use a camber gauge and dail calipers and put everything back the way it started. Time well spent on weekends. The ole lady gets the rest. I'm just saying...
Actually I leave it in my cars trunk after racing. I get around to cleaning it and throw it downstairs another night.

The setup station is quicker than the camber gauge methods. I have the car realighned and ready for the next race in about 30minutes. I shot my TV so I don't waste much time with that ,and my last girlfriend got eaten by a sea monster.

Then again I usually fly closer to the center of your Milky Way Galaxy where intense gravity makes time hard to measure.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Actually I leave it in my cars trunk after racing. I get around to cleaning it and throw it downstairs another night.

The setup station is quicker than the camber gauge methods. I have the car realighned and ready for the next race in about 30minutes. I shot my TV so I don't waste much time with that ,and my last girlfriend got eaten by a sea monster.

Then again I usually fly closer to the center of your Milky Way Galaxy where intense gravity makes time hard to measure.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OK Now I understand. And feel for you, brother.....Joey I need some help here. Way over me head.

Last edited by The Working Man; 10-27-2009 at 09:16 AM. Reason: why not?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I love my hudy setup station like it was said above very repeatable and its perfect every time, + its fast and easy. I use the quick camber guage when I am in a rush but the set up station does the job easier and is more accurate.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

i found when i used the set up station that i would have to set -4 to achieve -2 on a standard camber gauge. also found once i stopped being anal about checking that stuff all the time i got faster
Old 10-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Joey's just having a good time
Old 10-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cjm1126
i found when i used the set up station that i would have to set -4 to achieve -2 on a standard camber gauge. also found once i stopped being anal about checking that stuff all the time i got faster
+1 i think they are a waste of time for off road.I have not used mine in years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.