R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #31
Tech Prophet

i was talking about the eight 1.0 dont know about the 2.0 on parts
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Its not "that much" worse, but its worse. Its acceptable. And the Losi is durable aside from whatever keeps killing y'alls throttle servos.

Losi, AE, and Hotbodies need to bring their molds back to the USSA, and do the plastic here so we can get it right.

And my RC8 was totally unacceptable. Watched a racer hit our chicane with his RC8b once and broke the front arm and c hub. I hit that 5 times with my 809 at crazier speeds, no damage other than a huge scratch in the diff case. I liked my RC8, but knowing what I know now...............

In fact, I've used so much less parts compared to my RC8 that I've broken even on the extra cost of the 809 allready.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #33
Tech Prophet

i put a radio tray stiffer on my so the servos last , yea the old rc8 i seen a lot parts break on it and this is from the guys who went the best drives but there was also a guy who was good and he broke usally the suspension arms and who knows what else and he upgraded it and put big bores and other hopups $$$$ but the new rc8 looks a lot better in the suspension department and the bigbores are a plus . yea losi and associated do need to make the parts in the usa but the problem with that they will charge more money for the parts but it creates jobs.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #34
Tech Prophet

i broke a radio box cover somehow weird , and bent a rear hingepin thats a weak point to me on the eight 1.0 and had to get titnuim pins and had the bottom of the shock come out and bent the cap on the bottom other than that no broke suspension parts or other pins bent .
Old 10-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #35
Tech Addict

Man i all most bought a rc8 when they first came out.Im glad i did not I never seen a buggy break so much s*&t.Hope its all fixed now cause its a shame ae put some junk out like that.Is that thing made in china or what?
BeefHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #36
Tech Prophet

oh yea the new rc8b is a lot better and yea im pretty sure the parts are maid in china just like losi etc
Old 10-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Nothing made in good ole usa any more.
BeefHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #38
Tech Prophet

yeah blame the mega rich and the govement for that one
Old 10-28-2009, 07:14 AM   #39
Tech Regular

Seriously, see what the local tracks you normally run at support in terms of parts/service.

No point in having the "best" car and not being able to get parts for it on race day or after breaking a key component the 1st hour of a practice day.

They're both/all good cars, the Losi & OFNA being the 2 most popular in my area.

My wife fell in love with the OFNA and so I got it for her; she drives slower than anyone else at the track, but she also crashes less often than aggressive newbie drivers.

I was told (kinda like "I read on the internet") that the Hyper 9 suits fast aggressive drivers better, and the 8ight is easier to drive for most people though I wonder if it has anything to do with the BL setup in the particular vehicles. One guy that owned both told me he broke 6 parts in the OFNA in 3 track days, but hadn't broken anything on the Losi in 6 weeks. He is much happier with the 8ight, but I wonder if the OFNA suffered the start of his 1/8 learning curve.

A very knowledgeable friend of mine is very pro Losi & runs an 8ight. He is VERY happy with it and is very, very fast.

The fast guys at one local track all run the Hyper 9, though I believe they would be able to drive ANY 1/8 buggy fast with some setup tweaks.
lusifur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

I have owned both and still have a Ofna or 2 floating around but it is all about the parts you will find Losi parts at every track you go to but unless your out west you better carry a spare Ofna car because parts are very limited.Both Ofna and Losi have great products but if you dont have the parts you can't race.
Answer RC USA
Werks Racing
323 R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #41
Tech Apprentice

I have installed the new B version. I compared the A and B this last weekend.
Both buggies had the same setup and the B proved to be much better.
More stable in the corners, no push on exit and the rear really digs in on power. I ran 2 deg anti-squat and the upper holes on the rear hubs, it was amazing through the ruts, everybody raved how how my buggy was planted. One thing though, the steering links pop off very easy, even when you adjust the steering. Was ok the whole day even in a 1 hour mains. The geometries look perfect in front ,check the driveshaft, in the center of the kingpin. GO FOR THE B
Attached Thumbnails
Which is better?? - HYPER 9 version A/B?   or   LOSI EIGHT 2.0 BUGGY?- NEED HELP FAST-img_1041.jpg   Which is better?? - HYPER 9 version A/B?   or   LOSI EIGHT 2.0 BUGGY?- NEED HELP FAST-img_1052.jpg   Which is better?? - HYPER 9 version A/B?   or   LOSI EIGHT 2.0 BUGGY?- NEED HELP FAST-img_1044.jpg   Which is better?? - HYPER 9 version A/B?   or   LOSI EIGHT 2.0 BUGGY?- NEED HELP FAST-img_1048.jpg   Which is better?? - HYPER 9 version A/B?   or   LOSI EIGHT 2.0 BUGGY?- NEED HELP FAST-img_1042.jpg  

Mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #42
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

it amazes me so many people have a negative opinion of the hyper 9 . Its one of the top buggies on the market performance wise hands down. best turning buggy i've ever driven. all the complaints have been addressed with the newer versions ( the hyper 9 2.0 / GL) and now its as long as the cheating length losi 2.0/ hb d8. of course you cant go wrong with any of the top buggies but my vote would be for the hyper 9 ( GL version if you can afford it).
dandrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #43
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Is the Hyper 9 2.0 the A version and the GL the B? I like the looks of the 9 but don't know how it will drive, I have owned the losi 8 2.0 but I was never consistant with it. I went back to the Z-Car and was more consistant and I was able to finish in the top 3 in every race. My only quenstion is if the hyper 9 is close to the losi 8 or the Z-Car? I did email nirtohouse and they said only Eroupe will be getting the GL.
Corey43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #44
Tech Prophet

i say proberty the same legeth of the eight 2.0 in chassis wise but its a lot norrow on the chassis compared to the eight 2.0 i sure u can make the hyper 9 drive a lot smoother with tunning , the 9 2.0 looks a lot more beefer than the oringal it looks like a really good buggy to me even though i havnt seen anybody run them at the track i go to i might get one just to test it
Old 10-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #45
Tech Rookie

jeremy kortz is very very fast guy with him hyper9

mayb cuz all tats
mp94u is offline   Reply With Quote