R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-26-2009, 10:38 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Unless you are a very careful driver this buggy will break guaranteed. All buggys will break sure if they are beat hard enough, but the hot bodies seems a little more fragile than most. I believe that you get what you pay for. If price is your concern then pick up a used losi 2.0 they seem to go for about 350 and beat the hell out of it. Just what I have seen.
sure if you want a really sloppy car go for losi... if you want a high quality car go for xray...
smokinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:05 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Unless you are a very careful driver this buggy will break guaranteed. All buggys will break sure if they are beat hard enough, but the hot bodies seems a little more fragile than most. I believe that you get what you pay for. If price is your concern then pick up a used losi 2.0 they seem to go for about 350 and beat the hell out of it. Just what I have seen.
I have to disagree to this as well! I have 3 D8 kits and lucky enough i haven't broken too much (anyway less than with other cars I had before ). One of these kits has done a full race season now and as from now on I will be using it only for practice, so last race i deiced to attempt some triple jumps and stuff like that, i crushed it so hard that it is unbelievable and the car it is still perfect!
The D8 it is a very very good car!
Poltro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:20 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Make sure, that if you choose the Losi that you buy a handful of spare servos for the throttle/brake.

If it makes you feel better, D8 designer Josh Alton worked for Losi when the
8ight was being designed.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:04 AM   #19
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Man did I strike a nerve with the fragile comment. But come on guys look at the picture of the shock tower on page 1 have you ever seen any other race worthy car do that to a cnc piece of alum? I don't think im that far off.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:09 AM   #20
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Send a message via MSN to clinttredway

yes I have seen numerous losi 2.0 break front shock towers like they were plastic. dude this car is not fragile.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:12 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I've seen the Losi front tower snap.. Both are good vehicles.
underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:24 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Last winter I raced a D8 and dnf'ed 5 out of 12 main events. I switched to the losi 2.0 and raced it all summer without 1 single DNF, A kingz headz tower has been on my 2.0 from day one. But losi did update the front tower just like hotbodies did. I dont know about the "handful of sevos" comment. I have been using the same KO 2368 sevos for over a year now, with the d8 then the 2.0.

Scott U.
RacerScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:34 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerScott View Post
Last winter I raced a D8 and dnf'ed 5 out of 12 main events. I switched to the losi 2.0 and raced it all summer without 1 single DNF, A kingz headz tower has been on my 2.0 from day one. But losi did update the front tower just like hotbodies did. I dont know about the "handful of sevos" comment. I have been using the same KO 2368 sevos for over a year now, with the d8 then the 2.0.
Curious what was the cause of your DNF's?
underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:41 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Mainly driveshafts and rear hubs, I understand the early cvd issues were taken care of. Seem like the rear hubs were to hard and they were fragile in cold temps. I was one of the early adapters to the D8, I ran it until March. At the end I used OD rear hubs and OD rear driveshafts, with new updated shafts in the front every race. I did finish my last race with the car.

Scott U.
RacerScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:06 AM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Man did I strike a nerve with the fragile comment. But come on guys look at the picture of the shock tower on page 1 have you ever seen any other race worthy car do that to a cnc piece of alum? I don't think im that far off.
About 3 out of every 4 towers I seen break this year where losi. Yes the losi is a race worthy car but how can you call the D8 fragil when other cars destoy things in crazy accidents as well.
awdcameolsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #26
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I ran Losi till the week after the nats this year (luly) and now I run HotBodies and could'nt be happier. Both cars are good. I think the D8 is alot easier to drive faster. Travel with a group of guy's and they all run for Losi, but they have drove my car and the first thing they say is, Wow, your car is good. I just smile and say, I know. lol. Its all personal preference, but Im telling you the D8 is a awesome car.
C Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #27
Tech Addict

Ive been running d8 all year and had one dnf.Hit a steel spike at about 20 mph and broke a hinge pin thats it.I think losi and d8 are the same quality of car.But d8 is much cheaper to run money wise.If the losi was same price as d8 i would try one.
BeefHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:31 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

Quote:
i broke mugen shock towers as well bent the crap out of a few front ones.

only other thing i broke other then the rear tower was a bent hinge pin
now have lock nut ones and have not had a problem since i put them on the front.

the rear hubs i am having a problem with loosing some pins but i picked up some heat shrink and i am going to do that plus pack them with grease.
smokinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #29
Tech Addict

I've taken some serious hits and tumbles w/ my D8 and have only broke 1 shock tower. Since then, I tend to be a little bit better driver. I'm very happy w/ this buggy. First time I drove it, I was faster than I ever was w/ my old buggy. The D8 is SO easy to drive, and very forgiving when you do get out of shape.

One thing you do have to do is either put a lock nut style hinge pin on the front or drill and tap the lower caster block to the chassis.
Team Trinity
Miniracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I've said it before and I will say it again. Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

I chose Hot Bodies above all else simply based on my driving style and what I liked. I based this decision after racing them all ! Price was not an issue. If I wanted another Losi I would simply get one.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote