R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #31
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch man View Post
I would say the last post by Maximo is key PERSPECTIVE is key in everything in life.

I like the Picco power that is what I compare all other motors to. As long as you know what you want then all is good. Every body thinks their motor is best but they almost never phrase it best for me. I usually tell people if they can to watch cars at the track to back up what I say then they can be the judge.

I have motors that will kill my Piccos at top rpm but thats not how I drive.I drive out of corners hard & usually pull almost every body I run with & thats where I make up my time on them as the faster the car is going(top speed) the worse I drive & this I why I like Picco.

As far as Piccos being a tuning nightmare that also is perspective.I can tune my Piccos with no problems & can pre tune in the pits for day to night changes with almost zero problems. When I tried a different brand recently it was a tuning nightmare FOR ME & that motor let me down in a big way.

My perspective is Picco = great price,long life,power where & how I want it & 2 pits in a 20 min main. Thats what I expect,what I get. I do like some of my other brand motors just not as much as what I'm used to,relative to my Piccos.

I modify these Picco's to suit guys like you !

the modded engine has a snappier low end, less peaky midrange and a much stronger top end runout..Because of the severe bottom end we usually run a 086 and as low as .9 springs on the clutch...The end result is a smoother stronger Picco with a very strong top end charge.... With pipe selection we can tune the powerband for the application... For all out power the 086 works awesome, for most tracks the JP4 works great, smoother power without too much loss of peak power, and on a slick track we run the JP6, the JP6 really tones the engine down, gives it a smooth crisp feel, but it definitely takes out a good chunk of power........ The modifieds also get better mileage then it would stock...... It may not be the perfect engine for everybody, but if your into Picco's I would say my modifieds would really hit the spot......
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #32
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
my point exactly

there is something called useable power
im a firm believer in usable power!

Last edited by crawldad91; 10-24-2009 at 08:20 PM.
crawldad91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #33
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
exactly my point , new mod ?? it is a public forum
I am aware it's a public forum Monty. Have you not noticed that almost every thread eventually becomes a fight! Don't you find that just a little bit disturbing? Wouldn't it be great if we could just get advice and help and opinions and facts without the rude comments and nasty comebacks and arguements that break out on ever thread!? How great would that be
Old 10-24-2009, 09:05 PM   #34
Tech Addict

I ran os for a long time and tried a vspec this year.IMO os engines wear out way to fast and are highly over rated.For the price of a speed you could buy two picco jpx .21.I mean os is wore out in like two or three gall.Crap rods bearings cases piston and sleeve wore out after two gall. and need a pinch soft cranks the crap heat insulator on the carb.All os is good for is run time thats it.A vspec should cost 150$ tops and a speed should cost no more than 300$ and that is pushing it.Dont hate JMHO.
BeefHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:51 AM   #35
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefHead View Post
I ran os for a long time and tried a vspec this year.IMO os engines wear out way to fast and are highly over rated.For the price of a speed you could buy two picco jpx .21.I mean os is wore out in like two or three gall.Crap rods bearings cases piston and sleeve wore out after two gall. and need a pinch soft cranks the crap heat insulator on the carb.All os is good for is run time thats it.A vspec should cost 150$ tops and a speed should cost no more than 300$ and that is pushing it.Dont hate JMHO.
OS engines last a LONG time if you maintain them. I have a V-spec that is about 8 gallons old now. I changed the rod at 5 and the bearings at 3 (changed to ceramics). I laugh when I pull it out of the box because it was my backup engine this year and still runs awesome. Some people say "well I got 10 gallons from my 7 min run time engine" But if you think about it an OS can get you 10 minutes on that same fuel. It eats less fuel for the same run time. If someone wants to measure life in fuel used that is all good and dandy but I would rather measure in run time. If I get 9 gallons from my v-spec vs someone who got 11 gallons from a 7 minute engine I still got more life measured in run time out of it. Ill do some quick math.

7 min engine- 11 gallons = 41635cc/130 cc per tank = 320 runs = 2241min
11 min engine- 9 gallons = 34065cc/130 cc per tank = 262 runs = 2882min
Lets even try 8 gallons
11 min engine- 8 gallons = 30280cc/130 cc per tank = 233 = 2562 min

I am not trying to bash anyone hard. The original question was what are the best engines out. To me run time with useable power is more important the brute force. Also I always see the guys with the low dollar mills have tuning issues, and usually none of them can catch me on the straight either.
awdcameolsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:04 AM   #36
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Any engine will wear out fast if you dont tune properly and take care of your engines. I have 1 speed engine with just under 6 gallons on it and the compression is very strong. IDK why people seem to blow up os engines more than others, maybe there are just more os engines on the track so naturally there are going to be more issues due to engine tuning error. The speed engine is a fantastic engine, its at the top and thats why its priced accordingly.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #37
Tech Addict

If all you guys care about is run time the best engine out there is nova +4.Cost less than a speed and WILL out last a speed and gets same or better run time.Os fan boys flame away its just facts.
BeefHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Alot of it has to do with the guy behind the trigger. Give 1 local sportsman guy a 10 minute motor and give the same motor to a pro driver in the same conditions. Let me know what the results are. Thank you.
tech5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
If all you guys care about is run time the best engine out there is nova +4.Cost less than a speed and WILL out last a speed and gets same or better run time.Os fan boys flame away its just facts.
There's no doubt the Nova +4 can go 10+.

OS's V-Spec and Speed can go 10+ as well as the new kid on the block;

Alpha Plus

Both the F850 and Z852 will go 10+ in buggy and 11:00+ in truggy with an 8mm restrictor on 30% without turning the EPA down.

Street $$$

OS Speed $529

OS Pro mod $399

OS V Spec $299

NR+4 $299

Alpha Z852 $210

Alpha F850 $199

And other than bearings the P/S, rod and other spares are half the price of the OS and NR's....... Things to remember when purchasing an engine.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech5 View Post
Alot of it has to do with the guy behind the trigger. Give 1 local sportsman guy a 10 minute motor and give the same motor to a pro driver in the same conditions. Let me know what the results are. Thank you.
Very true! I wonder what a super fast pro could do with an Alpha?!

If I'm getting 10+ and 11:00+ could you imagine what a Drake or Truhe could do?

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Old 10-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #41
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
Very true! I wonder what a super fast pro could do with an Alpha?!

If I'm getting 10+ and 11:00+ could you imagine what a Drake or Truhe could do?
you really are shameless we gotta hang out sometime jimmy

as i said before , good to meet good people like you bro
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Quote:
you really are shameless we gotta hang out sometime jimmy

as i said before , good to meet good people like you bro

Hahaha! Likewise Monty.

You going to RC Pro Finals?

Old 10-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #43
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
Hahaha! Likewise Monty.

You going to RC Pro Finals?
ummmmm negative ghost rider , i got a family to tend to that is first priority

if i could make a living with the rc biz i would be there but haven't found a way to do it as anything but a side biz yet
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #44
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

These kinds of questions tend to lead to millions of replies, and for all one knows, they all could be correct. The real question is, how deep are your pockets, and how much do you plan on maintenance. Another question one could ask is, what are your using the car for. I've ran some high end mills, some midrange, and some bottom of the barrel. Yes, you get what you pay for, however some of those knockoff brands can be surprising. I would compile a list of possible engines that you like, or have gotten good reviews, and decide from there, based on what you're going to use the car for. Of course, a park runner, doesn't require a "spec'ed" engine (unless you like the bragging rights.") and vice-versa. I can say this, you're not gonna see that instantaneous power like with a brushless setup. (man those things haul....) good luck!!
boost_9jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:18 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default You guys

Novarossi makes the best engine, and that includes the RB concept engines. The p5, and the rb-9 should satisfy any racer on the track. Having the right power for the dirt, and track length is more important than having an engine that destroys a drivetrain. Don't get me wrong picco has been making engines forever, but I tend to see pro drivers driving whatever they can to get paid. Finally they are realizing that novas are the best look at that big guy with the ball cap turned around. hehe. he wears a losi shirt everyday. then there is europe racers that have been using rb motors for years. The os, ninja, grp, go, are fine, but I will buy more novas, and maybe an rb.
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote