Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th Gas vs Electric

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Adept

Default 1/8th Gas vs Electric

Ok guys I am really starting to like the 1/8th scale truggies and buggies noticing that I can pic up a rtr version in nitro not electric. My qwestions is.
1. what is the diffference between gas and electric.
2. For the rtr versions (associated) truggie or buggy how good would they stand up while racing?
3. If the rtr version is not so good out of the box for offraod racing what will I all need to add to make it so. and any other things that could be helpfull would be great
Old 10-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpedersm
Ok guys I am really starting to like the 1/8th scale truggies and buggies noticing that I can pic up a rtr version in nitro not electric. My qwestions is.
1. what is the diffference between gas and electric.
2. For the rtr versions (associated) truggie or buggy how good would they stand up while racing?
3. If the rtr version is not so good out of the box for offraod racing what will I all need to add to make it so. and any other things that could be helpfull would be great
I've been racing the Losi RTR for the last month (4 races now). I qualed #2 twice, finishing 4th both times and had a DNF due to bent throttle linkage. Last weekend I had a TQ and win (Sportsman class). The car is more than capable of being competitive. I replaced the servos with some quality units at the time of purchase and that would be my only recommendation for "upgrades" until you get your driving under control.

I went with the Losi because it came with a starter box and a nice radio so I didnt spend much time looking at the Associated (I'm sure the vehicle itself is of similar quality).
Old 10-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Already discussed here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ht=electric%2A

And here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ht=electric%2A

Hope it helps.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

On the electric vs. nitro

We just had this problem last week at one of our club races. It was just for fun, no points since it was the last harrah for the year. 11 nitro guys wanted to run 20 minute heats and one electric guy wanted every one to run 10 minute heats. Well we ran 20 min heats and he decide not to race. Moral of story...........RUN TIME.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Tech Prophet

eventelly during next year or later on there would be that problem there will proberty be enough to have a class for 1/8 electric,but i sticking to nitro nothing like it,he should still race thuough i mean come on,i just deal with it
for \now
Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

If I was that guy I would have just ran as long as I could and had the vehicle pulled when it died, that simple. I have run w/nitro and I don;t care I am not out to win I just want to race and I have chosen to run E instead of nitro.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Tech Addict

Elec 1/8 scale sucks.Sorry did i just say that?
Old 10-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Tech Prophet

i was gone to say that but everybody has there prefreces lol all for fun man
im a used to be a electric guy turned in.but to nitro andlove it, yea i mean there was no points in the race so i dont why he dint run i guess he wants to win everytime he goes out sorry doesnt work that way all the time.even in a points race just run your not spondsered or anything
Old 10-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Where I race the E run with the gas. If the E's cant make run time they pull off when done including me & nobody crys.

As far as the cars go its basicly the same car gas or electric. As far as racers go their basicly the same to just different what makes them tick. Saying electric sucks is the same as saying electric racers suck but what ever I guess everyone has their opinion just like something else.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

The new brushless systems make WAY too much power for the average racer. I raced 1/10th scale electric for a long time. I ran nitro before that and I'm running nitro again now. They both have their pros and cons which has been debated to no end. I will say that I don't miss most of the aspects of electric, especially when a $200 ESC goes up in smoke for no reason. Atleast nitro mills are rebuildable when they blow.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

There are a number of them running at our track with the nitro cars and they arent having trouble making runtimes. In the 20 minute mains one of them came in to pit and swap batteries. Got back on track and placed 3rd I believe. A few people said they can make 20 minutes. Everyone makes the 15 minute mains no problem but are required to come in for a 5 second mandatory stop and go.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sounds like most of the E guys you guys race with don't know very much about E's. 20mins is no prob with zero batt swap.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

You must be right. I guess the E guys we race with must not know anything about electrics.

I'll make sure & tell them that next time I see them.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BeefHead
Elec 1/8 scale sucks.Sorry did i just say that?

Little Jealous maybe.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
Little Jealous maybe.
It was only a matter of time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.