Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Bearing replacement

How do you replace the engine bearings?
Twisted Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to supralative Send a message via Yahoo to supralative

Without the bearing replacement tools this is the method I used and it worked for me.

To remove bearings: first completely clean the outside of the engine. Then disassemble with only crankcase and bearings in it. Preheat the oven to 325 F and drop the crankcase in it for 10min. The rear bearing should fall out and the front should fall out with a tap.

To install new bearings, put new bearings in freezer for 10-15min. While chilling the bearings, put the empty crankcase in oven. Remove crankcase from oven and drop the front bearing in, it may take a few light taps, especially to mount it flush. To install rear bearing, mount it on the crankshaft, and drop the crankshaft in so that it self-centers.

This is what Rody from RB recommends, and I have done it quite a few times. It is very painless (as long as you use oven mitts!) Make sure the whole time that you keep every thing very clean. If you do happen to get some crud in while its all apart, use the only "clean" thing that you use in your engine to clean it out: nitro fuel. Using this method I can have the bearings changed out in 30-40 min. DO NOT stick anything in the crankcase to "hammer" the bearings in. It only ruins them. I do however use an old wooden spoon to tap the front bearing out when the crankcase is fresh out of the oven.
supralative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supralative View Post
Without the bearing replacement tools this is the method I used and it worked for me.

To remove bearings: first completely clean the outside of the engine. Then disassemble with only crankcase and bearings in it. Preheat the oven to 325 F and drop the crankcase in it for 10min. The rear bearing should fall out and the front should fall out with a tap.

To install new bearings, put new bearings in freezer for 10-15min. While chilling the bearings, put the empty crankcase in oven. Remove crankcase from oven and drop the front bearing in, it may take a few light taps, especially to mount it flush. To install rear bearing, mount it on the crankshaft, and drop the crankshaft in so that it self-centers.

This is what Rody from RB recommends, and I have done it quite a few times. It is very painless (as long as you use oven mitts!) Make sure the whole time that you keep every thing very clean. If you do happen to get some crud in while its all apart, use the only "clean" thing that you use in your engine to clean it out: nitro fuel. Using this method I can have the bearings changed out in 30-40 min. DO NOT stick anything in the crankcase to "hammer" the bearings in. It only ruins them. I do however use an old wooden spoon to tap the front bearing out when the crankcase is fresh out of the oven.
Thank you very much i will try that.
Twisted Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Tech Master

I have always done just like above mostly but,I do use a socket the size of both bearing outside diamiters to tap(lightly) them in on some motors with a small plastic hammer. Some times thats the only way to fully seat the bearings some times. It wont hurt the bearings or case if done with a little common sense. I do install the crank before the block cools just to make sure the bearings are perfectly in line.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhpwsjYoxM0

I have used this method with good success. Got a hot plate at Wally world for less than 20 bucks. Someone posted this in another thread.
scapbell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

If these methods don't work for you or you are not comfortable with trying it hit us up.

We offer a very reasonable price to remove bearings and install brand new TKO's with the proper tools.

PM or email @

trackstarrc@gmail.com

Jimmy Wright

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:47 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supralative View Post
I do however use an old wooden spoon to tap the front bearing out when the crankcase is fresh out of the oven.
yup, same her, with the crack down the middle right? this method works as long as you are fast. do the front bearing first and tap it so it is at least 1/2 way in. i put the main bearing on the crank and freeze them together. put them in next and use the clutch nut then clutch nut/flywheel to tighten them together. on ce its all tight i bake the whole thing another couple minutes so any condensation is gone.
AKA, Proline, Hotbodies Rubber
Elite Performance - HORRC.com
j_blaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote