R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-23-2009, 04:54 AM   #16
Tech Elite

My Nitro is twice as much fun as my electric.
If I can find a competant pit guy its three times more fun.

Electric works fine, but its boring, and expensive. The E8 or an 809 conversion are my picks.

The Losi RTR is superior to the AE RTR. Except its throttle servo should not be used. Not even once.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:48 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch man View Post
You must be right. I guess the E guys we race with must not know anything about electrics.

I'll make sure & tell them that next time I see them.
If they can't make a 15 minute main, then they don't know what they are doing and they have an inefficient setup for the tracks they run on. 20 minute mains are also possible. I have been racing e-1/8s going on three years now and never had a problem making a 15 minute main and a few 20 minute ones without battery swaps. Neither do all the other guys I know that have been racing them.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
If they can't make a 15 minute main, then they don't know what they are doing and they have an inefficient setup for the tracks they run on. 20 minute mains are also possible. I have been racing e-1/8s going on three years now and never had a problem making a 15 minute main and a few 20 minute ones without battery swaps. Neither do all the other guys I know that have been racing them.

You're not factoring in the 2 most important aspects, track layout and driver skill. Obviously a battery will last longer with a smooth driver. Also their track could be a lot faster than the track you're running on. Faster track means more current draw from the battery, more current draw means less run time.
pickle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle311 View Post
You're not factoring in the 2 most important aspects, track layout and driver skill. Obviously a battery will last longer with a smooth driver. Also their track could be a lot faster than the track you're running on. Faster track means more current draw from the battery, more current draw means less run time.
I can do 20 on our track which is the same as yours
Old 10-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle311 View Post
No doubt that there are a lot of factors that come into play. However, I run at one of the largest tracks in the country (Leisure Hours where the ROAR Nats were this year) and if you can make 15-20 minutes on that track, it can be made practically anywhere.

The problem is that the mfg's are pushing rtr systems that are faster and less efficient and ROAR has antiquated rules in place that limit what lipos you can use. Combine this with crappy review articles praising junk in RC Mags you get a bunch of folks buying stuff not knowing the basics of how to set these cars up properly to run on larger tracks with longer mains.

what normally happens is people start off with high KV systems with lower voltage and then they quickly realize that the car is over powered and they aren't getting the run time needed to effectively race longer mains with nitros. Then they start reading up more and the motor KV gets dialed back to a reasonable level and the voltage starts creeping up so they can run more efficient.

Right now there are two types of electric racers. Guys that run on itty bitty 1/10 tracks for 10 minutes and guys that run on 1/8 tracks with nitros for 15-20 minutes. Depending on which camp you fall in determines how to properly set the car up.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #21
Tech Prophet

the way the driver drives on throttle really does detemen how the run time is reguardless , even in nitro if u blip the throttle to much coming out of the corners your run time gone to kind of bad,im a let it roll into the corner and point and shoot so i think my run time is pretty good
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I race nitro buggy/truggy and early this summer i thougth i wanted to try out a e-truggy. So i got a ready to go roller that just need the electronics. Well after going out last meet of the season ( 2 day event) and see some of the brushless 1/8 run, i thought it wasnt for me. I really like the sound of the nitro and even the mess they make. Seams more like real racing to me. But there were a few E-1/8 racing and they did have them set up right because they were quick! Of course any thing can be quick depending on the driver.

Right now there is a lot more help at most local track if your running nitro, in 3-4 more years there it might be about even. Plus not matter where you race there is always a class for buggy/truggy . At the club level you probably dont need to worry about switched batteries, untill the mains get longer.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
No doubt that there are a lot of factors that come into play. However, I run at one of the largest tracks in the country (Leisure Hours where the ROAR Nats were this year) and if you can make 15-20 minutes on that track, it can be made practically anywhere.

The problem is that the mfg's are pushing rtr systems that are faster and less efficient and ROAR has antiquated rules in place that limit what lipos you can use. Combine this with crappy review articles praising junk in RC Mags you get a bunch of folks buying stuff not knowing the basics of how to set these cars up properly to run on larger tracks with longer mains.

what normally happens is people start off with high KV systems with lower voltage and then they quickly realize that the car is over powered and they aren't getting the run time needed to effectively race longer mains with nitros. Then they start reading up more and the motor KV gets dialed back to a reasonable level and the voltage starts creeping up so they can run more efficient.

Right now there are two types of electric racers. Guys that run on itty bitty 1/10 tracks for 10 minutes and guys that run on 1/8 tracks with nitros for 15-20 minutes. Depending on which camp you fall in determines how to properly set the car up.
Bingo. The RTR motors being used are plain junk and are the main reason why people can't make long mains. Unless its a NEU, Tekin, Lehner or Pletty, your wasting your time. Same with batts....Maxamps seems to be the most pushed brand, but yet they are the crappiest batts you can buy...lol.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #24
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Electric vs Clockwork Nitro !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr7vp8P9IqY
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #25
Tech Master

I didnt mean to sound like I was talking about 10 min mains. All the E guys at our track can do 15 min main no problem 20 min mark is where the problems start coming in. I have gone 18:40 before but 18:40 is not 20 min & thats with 1 lap warmup. Nitro guys want more than 20 min mains when they can get them. I as a gas & E racer will not ask the nitro guys to have shorter mains just because in a perfect world 20 min is iffy for me. We do have a couple guys that have a batt syst that does 5 sec batt changes in truggy but I dont have that yet & I dont have the balls to draw my batts down to the low levels required for a 20 min main but if 20 min is no prob for you then in the future it should be no prob for the rest of us.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefHead View Post
Elec 1/8 scale sucks.Sorry did i just say that?
+1
MFigueroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Guy shows up at the track wit his new e buggy and says "hay man check out my new ride It runs off batteries tou like"(you just look at him and smile but your thinking WTF.)
BeefHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Driver skill and chassis prep account for how well a vehicle does. Electric vs. Nitro: what's the discussion here? Which one is faster---driver dependent. Same driver means the electric is faster. Both are awesome "in my opinion." Simple as that. So I ask again, what's the discussion here?

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

My POV, I used to be a nitro head. Still love the thought of such a small motor zipping around the track. But then it began to get too expensive. The glow plugs, the fuel, the clutch shoes. Having to carry around the starting equuiptment and a gallon of fuel was no fun eather. There was the fuel residue when ever it got tipped over and it leaked out the stinger...UH! at the track I didnt have a pit guy so at practice, having to run down to re fuel it every 10-12 minutes or so sucked!!

To me 1/8 scale electric is where its at. The initial cost is more than nitro but when you consider how in expensive high voltage LiPos have gotten it makes sense to invest in 2 LiPos from Hobbycity.com for the cost of a case of fuel. The motor and ESc combo will cost the same as a top quality nitro motor.

At the track I can clear jupms from a closer starting distance than the nitros. I can zip by most of them down the straight with little efort. And best of all no run aways and no flame outs!!

When I show up to the track now I take my tool box but dont even take it out of the truck anu more. I grab my DX3R and my 8E and hit the track with 2 charged 5S LiPos. I can easily get 20 minutes of run time with my low KV/High voltage setup. I can charge my LiPos at a high rate and get them charged 1 allmost as quick as I can drain the other.

So for me, nitro is just a novelty now. I will be getting a 10T when it comes out and that will be the other Nitro I will own other than my BJ26 boat.
losifiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #30
Tech Addict

I dont have the cash to race the real thing so for me nitro is were its at.I like racing elec but i dont think you can compare the two.To be really good at racing nitro takes a lot more skill than just pluging in your batt and throwing your car on the track.I mean think about it there is a real engine in that toy car.And like real racing you have to be able to tune that thing.There is a level of realism you cant get with elec.Dont flame me for keepn it real JMHO.
BeefHead is offline   Reply With Quote