R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-21-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default 1st buggy/truggy - needs opinions.

Hey guys,
Having been bashing my Tmaxx for a year or so, Im now looking at dipping a toe into racing with either an 1/8th buggy or truggy.

The contenders that I have found are below.

Quote:
HONG NOR CRT-X2 TRUGGY
Rolling chassis, 1 season old (used as a spare car).
King heads engine mount.
Upgraded Alloy upper / lower hinge pin braces, CNC front top plate
Craddock anti lock discs, alloy radio posts & wing spacers.
Part worn Hong Nor X tires
Or

Quote:
Losi 8 Roller.
I bought this to race but never got round to running it. Well, I ran it once and blew the engine because failsafe or electrics failed so you will need radio gear as the one in this could be faulty or it could be the failsafe? Anyway, whats in it now comes free.
The X2 is 90 and the Losi is 65.

I need opinions on which is going to serve me better for a first go at racing, ease of set-up, spares availability, toughness etc.

Cheers,

Beddo.
Attached Thumbnails
1st buggy/truggy - needs opinions.-x2.jpg   1st buggy/truggy - needs opinions.-losi.jpg  
Beddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
Tech Prophet

for ease of setup i would go with a truggy,and if u like to drive harder truggy is your calling buggy u have to drive smooth to be fast although buggy does teach u to drive better.the only bad thing about truggy is that the tires arent cheap but they do last longer than buggy tires though
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Things to consider- Which class is more popular at your track? Which car has more readily avaliable parts in your area? The truggy will require a more expensive steering servo and probably a more expensive engine since it's a bit heavier.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:57 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

The truggy by far is easier to setup and drive. It is much more forgiving and the x2 is a great quality truggy. I had an x2 buggy that I wrecked over 50 times before the first part broke on it. With that being said make sure that you have a good truggy class in your area, you don't want to be the only one.
MBX7R. RC8B3
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #5
Tech Elite

I like them both, I run truggy tho - Go Losi...... truggies are faster, and easier to drive - tires cost more than buggy - set up is less senstive than buggy
Old 10-22-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
Tech Prophet

i drove a guy truggy that had a nova .21 bf 3 port in his and it was alsome and had a lot of power,the best servo for the money is a hobbico dingal servo it has tiatuim gears and the toque is 300 and some at 6 v its at tower hobbies i heard its a good servo and the price u cant beat at $90 and it has a cordless motor i defiely get one for my truggy next year. and yea setup on a buggy is defiely more sensitive .
Old 10-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
i drove a guy truggy that had a nova .21 bf 3 port in his and it was alsome and had a lot of power,the best servo for the money is a hobbico dingal servo it has tiatuim gears and the toque is 300 and some at 6 v its at tower hobbies i heard its a good servo and the price u cant beat at $90 and it has a cordless motor i defiely get one for my truggy next year. and yea setup on a buggy is defiely more sensitive .
hobbico dingal servo - no I would not get this for 90 bucks - spend the extra 30 or so and get the hitec........7955

Real talk.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
Tech Prophet

whats wrong with the hobbico i looks pretty good
Old 10-22-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
whats wrong with the hobbico i looks pretty good
I have seen them burn out pretty fast
Old 10-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
Tech Prophet

oh is that cause the people that had them over stressed them or overstandin the steering throw or they just burn up
Old 10-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
oh is that cause the people that had them over stressed them or overstandin the steering throw or they just burn up
I have just seen the burn up - now the 2 guys I have seen this happend to are pretty good RC guys - know their stuff - just get the Hitecs.......
Old 10-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #12
Tech Prophet

figures that they put a cheap motor in the servo , and the specs are good on them and its a servo that anybody can afford and they put a cheap motor in them guessing thats what burns up in them
Old 10-22-2009, 11:57 PM   #13
Tech Adept

I went for the Losi in the end, mostly because I can get it on the track cheaper than the X2, but also because spares are much more readilly available than for the truggy.

Ive bagged a few sets of wheels, some decent servo's and a new shell all from the UK too. Just on the lookout for a cheap motor now.

Thanks for your help fellas.
Beddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:55 AM   #14
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beddo View Post
I went for the Losi in the end, mostly because I can get it on the track cheaper than the X2, but also because spares are much more readilly available than for the truggy.

Ive bagged a few sets of wheels, some decent servo's and a new shell all from the UK too. Just on the lookout for a cheap motor now.

Thanks for your help fellas.

Awesome im glad your happy......On a side note.....for a Bomb proof servo...spend the $$ now....or you will end up spending it in the end.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Awesome im glad your happy......On a side note.....for a Bomb proof servo...spend the $$ now....or you will end up spending it in the end.
100% agreed. Electronics are the last thing you wanna cheap out on. I have been running the same servos for 5 years now and no issues.