R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   1st buggy/truggy - needs opinions. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/337882-1st-buggy-truggy-needs-opinions.html)

Beddo 10-21-2009 11:11 PM

1st buggy/truggy - needs opinions.

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,
Having been bashing my Tmaxx for a year or so, Im now looking at dipping a toe into racing with either an 1/8th buggy or truggy.

The contenders that I have found are below.

HONG NOR CRT-X2 TRUGGY
Rolling chassis, 1 season old (used as a spare car).
King heads engine mount.
Upgraded Alloy upper / lower hinge pin braces, CNC front top plate
Craddock anti lock discs, alloy radio posts & wing spacers.
Part worn Hong Nor X tires
Or

Losi 8 Roller.
I bought this to race but never got round to running it. Well, I ran it once and blew the engine because failsafe or electrics failed so you will need radio gear as the one in this could be faulty or it could be the failsafe? Anyway, whats in it now comes free.
The X2 is £90 and the Losi is £65.

I need opinions on which is going to serve me better for a first go at racing, ease of set-up, spares availability, toughness etc.

Cheers,

Beddo.

tc5 man 10-22-2009 06:09 AM

for ease of setup i would go with a truggy,and if u like to drive harder truggy is your calling buggy u have to drive smooth to be fast although buggy does teach u to drive better.the only bad thing about truggy is that the tires arent cheap but they do last longer than buggy tires though

Davidka 10-22-2009 06:52 AM

Things to consider- Which class is more popular at your track? Which car has more readily avaliable parts in your area? The truggy will require a more expensive steering servo and probably a more expensive engine since it's a bit heavier.

JoeC 10-22-2009 06:57 AM

The truggy by far is easier to setup and drive. It is much more forgiving and the x2 is a great quality truggy. I had an x2 buggy that I wrecked over 50 times before the first part broke on it. With that being said make sure that you have a good truggy class in your area, you don't want to be the only one.

token 10-22-2009 07:08 AM

I like them both, I run truggy tho - Go Losi...... truggies are faster, and easier to drive - tires cost more than buggy - set up is less senstive than buggy

tc5 man 10-22-2009 09:32 AM

i drove a guy truggy that had a nova .21 bf 3 port in his and it was alsome and had a lot of power,the best servo for the money is a hobbico dingal servo it has tiatuim gears and the toque is 300 and some at 6 v its at tower hobbies i heard its a good servo and the price u cant beat at $90 and it has a cordless motor i defiely get one for my truggy next year. and yea setup on a buggy is defiely more sensitive .

token 10-22-2009 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by tc5 man (Post 6506619)
i drove a guy truggy that had a nova .21 bf 3 port in his and it was alsome and had a lot of power,the best servo for the money is a hobbico dingal servo it has tiatuim gears and the toque is 300 and some at 6 v its at tower hobbies i heard its a good servo and the price u cant beat at $90 and it has a cordless motor i defiely get one for my truggy next year. and yea setup on a buggy is defiely more sensitive .

hobbico dingal servo - no I would not get this for 90 bucks - spend the extra 30 or so and get the hitec........7955

Real talk.

tc5 man 10-22-2009 09:41 AM

whats wrong with the hobbico i looks pretty good

token 10-22-2009 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by tc5 man (Post 6506648)
whats wrong with the hobbico i looks pretty good

I have seen them burn out pretty fast

tc5 man 10-22-2009 10:07 AM

oh is that cause the people that had them over stressed them or overstandin the steering throw or they just burn up

token 10-22-2009 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by tc5 man (Post 6506733)
oh is that cause the people that had them over stressed them or overstandin the steering throw or they just burn up

I have just seen the burn up - now the 2 guys I have seen this happend to are pretty good RC guys - know their stuff - just get the Hitecs.......

tc5 man 10-22-2009 10:19 AM

figures that they put a cheap motor in the servo , and the specs are good on them and its a servo that anybody can afford and they put a cheap motor in them guessing thats what burns up in them

Beddo 10-22-2009 11:57 PM

I went for the Losi in the end, mostly because I can get it on the track cheaper than the X2, but also because spares are much more readilly available than for the truggy.

Ive bagged a few sets of wheels, some decent servo's and a new shell all from the UK too. Just on the lookout for a cheap motor now.

Thanks for your help fellas.

Integra 10-23-2009 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Beddo (Post 6509683)
I went for the Losi in the end, mostly because I can get it on the track cheaper than the X2, but also because spares are much more readilly available than for the truggy.

Ive bagged a few sets of wheels, some decent servo's and a new shell all from the UK too. Just on the lookout for a cheap motor now.

Thanks for your help fellas.

Awesome im glad your happy......On a side note.....for a Bomb proof servo...spend the $$ now....or you will end up spending it in the end.

portyansky 10-23-2009 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 6510382)
Awesome im glad your happy......On a side note.....for a Bomb proof servo...spend the $$ now....or you will end up spending it in the end.

100% agreed. Electronics are the last thing you wanna cheap out on. I have been running the same servos for 5 years now and no issues.