R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

What you guys are forgetting is the pin is a floating pin, it is not pressed into the rod or piston like some 1-1's are witch means as the piston pin moves so it will move the clip also........imo it doesnt matter what position it's installed.

Ken
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
Thank you for explaining that.

Otherwise we would have to have to tried to figure out E=MC2 vs. kgm/s2
Just doing my part to try to eliminate confusion Sometimes it's amazing how much 8th grade physics one remembers...even it if was over 30 years ago.

On an application note, I have seen clips come out regardless of orientation. However, I can't say I've seen enough of them to determine an orientation-based trend. Not saying there wouldn't be one with a large enough sample.
rstnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #18
Tech Adept

OK guys, thanks. I'll never think that my post will be so popular
But in reality, on 2 strokes motocross engine, the orientation of this pin have an influence, and should be install in the right position.
And it is for this reason i've ask this for r/c nitro engine.

thanks
dakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:46 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakamat View Post
OK guys, thanks. I'll never think that my post will be so popular
But in reality, on 2 strokes motocross engine, the orientation of this pin have an influence, and should be install in the right position.
And it is for this reason i've ask this for r/c nitro engine.

thanks
Of all the engines I have ever built (30+ years worth) 2&4 stroke, Gas, Diesel, Methenol, Nitro, Super Charged, Turbo'd and even Steam powered the only "rule" about wrist pin clips has been to turn the ends of the clips 180* away from the removal slot. As stated above this is only temporary in some cases as side loading on the piston will rotate the clips. Some pistons (higher quality such as JE, Arias etc) have a dowel pin to keep this from happening.

Also to clear up any of my "narcissistic posts" where "I'm right, you're wrong". I just want to point out that many people read these posts. Most of which are new to R/C or new to Nitro or engines in general. If misinformed information is given and only one poster backs that up in the eyes of someone new that can relate to being the gospel. Then guess what happens? The LHS or manufacturer gets a call.... "My wrist pin clips aren't in the right direction, my engine is defective." When the more informed try to explain it, the customer thinks they are being lied to to save the sale and the snowball keeps rolling downhill from there.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:47 AM   #20
Tech Elite

If the effect of inertia could squeeze the clip to get it loose. Then it should be happening.

There is an incredible amount of force inside these mills at 40K rpm. Even though the stroke is tiny so piston speed is very slow, its still changing direction allfully fast.

Deos the pin still float, and can the clip still be moved if we heat the piston to 260 with a heat gun?

I was under the impression that these clips get harder to remove the hotter they get.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

WoW! All this talk of clip position and yet none is here saying they actually have had a clip fail due to being "clocked" incorrectly. I have built many 2 stroke engines and have never ever had a clip failure. To say that the inertia will cause failure at 40k rpms is not really an issue. If your running your r/c car at Daytona where your punched for 2 miles, then yes maybe. These motors rarely see that kind of rpm. Just install the clips secure in the provided groves and go out and drive.
tech5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Good, thanks!
I ask this question because i have a picco P3 28 here who need a new conrod, and before to change it, i just want to be on the safe way.
I have check the clip in my brand new Jammin JPX, and only want have other input.
But my JPX have been completly disasemble, moded and re-assemble by a pro engine modders (Adam at AB Mods) and if something would be wrong with my engine, i'am sure that Adam would be solve the problems before shipping it back to me.

But, i am this kind of guys that ask too much questions, and sometimes, this is worst than good
dakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #23
Tech Addict

I have had one fail... 93' Honda Cr125, I put the circlip in with the opening at 9:00 it should have been at 12:00, it failed, a top motocross mechanic explained to me that the piston is changing direction so fast that it can and does deform. I wasted an entire top end because i thought it did not matter. But if you guys say it really don't matter then you won't be disappointed if I put mine in with the opening at 12:00 ...right ???
Joey Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomatt View Post
It DOES matter.
when that engine is going 40,000 rpm, that little clip is: moving in one direction, stopping almost instantly, then reversing direction 80,000 times per minute. That's a lot of inertia. It's own mass can cause the clip ends to "close towards each other" more freely if the gap is at the 3 or 9 o'clock position. I ALWAYS assemble with the gap at the bottom or top. ( 6 or 9 o'clock)
........doesn't matter.......
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #25
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Platinum View Post
I have had one fail... 93' Honda Cr125, I put the circlip in with the opening at 9:00 it should have been at 12:00, it failed, a top motocross mechanic explained to me that the piston is changing direction so fast that it can and does deform. I wasted an entire top end because i thought it did not matter. But if you guys say it really don't matter then you won't be disappointed if I put mine in with the opening at 12:00 ...right ???
..........a CR125 motor is a different animal........those pistons have a slot where you are able to get a screwdriver under the clip to get it out.......and the clips DO rotate during use.........and can/could occasionally hang a clip on the opening....my buddies KX125 threw a clip and killed his top end also........sucks puttting hundreds into a motor because of a .50 clip......

http://www.pjme.co.uk/acatalog/RS125...O%20PISTON.jpg
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:31 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

if you are lucky enough to get it in be happy. if possition was an issue this kind of failure would be more common as NO ONE checks their g-clips on a regular basis. ans since they are loose in there anyways what would keep them from rotating around with all those rpm's anyways? i did have a g clip pop out but i never checked its seat, about 4 tanks later it let me know i did it wrong.
AKA, Proline, Hotbodies Rubber
Elite Performance - HORRC.com
j_blaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote