R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Nova N21BF Manifold Question

well apparently an 086 or 053 pipe will really bring this thing to life, but i have heard nothing about the manifold. so, if i have settled on the 086, do i want the dynamite one with the ) manifold or the ofna one with the ] manifold. what are the pros and cons of each? thanks!
Old 10-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Tech Elite

The 086 comes with a short round header. I found the 086 to be a little too peaky for my track. Header is just a tad too short.

I used a Novarossi long smooth header 41020 to bring the powerband down a little lower.

Worked really well. Eventually I dented the 086 beyond repair and got a Novarossi 9886 pipe (same thing). Actually sounded even better.

Im not sure what the point is to the double bend headers. I would think that a nice smooth curve would be best.

The 053 would be best in a truggy or a really slow, tight track. I think the engine would run out of steam up top with that pipe on med-larger tracks.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

im running a dynamite 086 and the medium round header that comes with it on my houston tuned n21bf. it rocks my socks
unsp0ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
The 086 comes with a short round header. I found the 086 to be a little too peaky for my track. Header is just a tad too short.

I used a Novarossi long smooth header 41020 to bring the powerband down a little lower.

Worked really well. Eventually I dented the 086 beyond repair and got a Novarossi 9886 pipe (same thing). Actually sounded even better.

Im not sure what the point is to the double bend headers. I would think that a nice smooth curve would be best.

The 053 would be best in a truggy or a really slow, tight track. I think the engine would run out of steam up top with that pipe on med-larger tracks.
ok so then i am wondering if the 053 with a short header might be best? or a 086 with a long header? generally speaking my track is relatively tight and technical with one or two places where the engine can really hit its stride. maybe it would help to say i run at the track where nats was held. also, it will be going in a rc8b. just trying to make the best decision possible, i really appreciate the input!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

what would a team associated efra 2035 do on this engine?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeltoedrver View Post
ok so then i am wondering if the 053 with a short header might be best? or a 086 with a long header? generally speaking my track is relatively tight and technical with one or two places where the engine can really hit its stride. maybe it would help to say i run at the track where nats was held. also, it will be going in a rc8b. just trying to make the best decision possible, i really appreciate the input!
Then 086 and long 41020 header.

The 086 comes with a short header so if you pick up a Novarossi 41020 you can go back and forth to see for yourself.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:

this motor runs out of steam really fast, the exhaust timing is really short. i modded this motor and its awesome bottom to top
randystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Then 086 and long 41020 header.

The 086 comes with a short header so if you pick up a Novarossi 41020 you can go back and forth to see for yourself.
I appreciate the help! I suppose i might as well just bite the bullet though and copy your setup. Nova N21BF Limited w/9886 & long manifold. I take it your happy with what you have?
Old 10-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
I appreciate the help! I suppose i might as well just bite the bullet though and copy your setup. Nova N21BF Limited w/9886 & long manifold. I take it your happy with what you have?
N21bf limited with dynamite 086hs. Killer 200$ combo for sure
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Very happy. Clears everthing the race engines will on the tracks I've been to. The 9886 isn't as fragile as I thought Novarossi pipes were supposed to be. I'm getting decent mileage as well. Fairly easy to tune with a #4 NR plug. Sounds funny on decel.

It took a gallon and a half allmost to get the engine to the point were it trusted me enough to start making power. This winter I'll probally cut a simple turbo cut in the N21's crank and "fang" the intake ports a little. Maybe open up the crank inlet a little. Just for fun, curious if it'll do much, not that it really has to.

I'm running on tracks that are plenty big, but are twisty and technical, not really horsepower tracks. I can't say what it would do on tracks with long run ups to huge jumps or really long straights. But for short runs out of a turn to a jump where you need good bottom to get enough speed. It deos quite well.

Especially for the price.

This engine/pipe deos fine, my lap times do not get better when I put my +4 in.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Very happy. Clears everthing the race engines will on the tracks I've been to. The 9886 isn't as fragile as I thought Novarossi pipes were supposed to be. I'm getting decent mileage as well. Fairly easy to tune with a #4 NR plug. Sounds funny on decel.

It took a gallon and a half allmost to get the engine to the point were it trusted me enough to start making power. This winter I'll probally cut a simple turbo cut in the N21's crank and "fang" the intake ports a little. Maybe open up the crank inlet a little. Just for fun, curious if it'll do much, not that it really has to.

I'm running on tracks that are plenty big, but are twisty and technical, not really horsepower tracks. I can't say what it would do on tracks with long run ups to huge jumps or really long straights. But for short runs out of a turn to a jump where you need good bottom to get enough speed. It deos quite well.

Especially for the price.

This engine/pipe deos fine, my lap times do not get better when I put my +4 in.
Ok sounds good!

Last edited by heeltoedrver; 10-21-2009 at 07:33 PM.
heeltoedrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:38 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gholt13 View Post
what would a team associated efra 2035 do on this engine?
NO...i tried it and took it off not even 10min later...
put a 053 on it and it was way better just no top end..

086 is what i would recomend
~MUGGIFIED Lst-xxl
reggie l. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
Fairly easy to tune with a #4 NR plug.
Two quick questions:
1. Do you use 25% nitro?
2. Why do you use a #4 plug and not the #6 Nova says to use? At least according to several sites selling the mill.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #14
Tech Prophet

#5 plug works real good for 25% i dont like the #6 plug its hard to me to get a good tune and i dont like the way it idles with that plug try to break in the engine with the #6 to get enough heat ha
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:46 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix357

086 pipe and ofna ] header like Monty said and also I use the odo #100 plugs no flame outs and easy to tune and cheap. I also use odo profuel 30% 11 and it just makes power all over the place. I also use the 053 and ofna ] header for a tight track with short run ups can you say huge launch.
phoenix357 is offline   Reply With Quote