Wiki Posts
Search

Good Gear Ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Good Gear Ratio?

I've got a question about gear ratios and how my pinion/spur will mesh with these combinations. It is for an SC8. I had been running a 17/46 with my stock motor and that seemed to do well. However, the new mill I've put in it (LRP 30x comp, am breaking it in now) will be too much for that ratio. I was told I am probably going to go with a 18/44 but I want to try a few other ratios first as that seems to be a huge swing.

So my question is between these two choices, which do you think would be a better gear-ratio selection, and do you think there would be any issue with gear mesh?

18/46

17/44

They are fairly close in their final drive ratios however I'm not sure if one would be more beneficial than the other. Does one have a better application over another? I'm looking to have enough umph to throw the truck around through the corners but still be able to stretch it out on the straightaways.

Thanks for your help.