Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OFNA BUGGIES

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default OFNA BUGGIES

Are OFNA buggies crap or are they worth the time and money to start out in racing. You just don't hear about them in the pro racing scene very much.I have been in electric racing for years and want to make the switch to gas buggy. 1/8th scale can cost cost a fortune if you want it to but I have seen alot of the OFNA bugggies around the 300.00 RTR mark and was just wondering if they would be worth it or if my money would be better spent to save up for the pricier models. Does the average racer see that big of a difference in the buggy or spend the money on the other gear needed such as radios, servos,motors?
Old 10-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Tech Adept

Ofna and Mugen are the ones I looked at when I got my first 1/8 scale. However I went with Jammin for the price vs what you get in options(Alum. parts) and since Ofna makes Jammin....and your looking for a good kit give them a look also.

Really if your new youll break stuff so look for something like Ofna or Mugen to stand the test of torture :P Not taking away from AE - Losi - XRAY.

Ofna will be a good choice for budget minded people.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

The Ofna buggy's are good buggy to start out racing i started last year with a Hyper 7 and loved the buggy they are a good place to start.They are tuff all year long racing all i broke was one dog bone and one Wing mount. Now that i have some drive time and know how to work on one i have moved on to a Losi 8 but if you are looking for a good car to start racing i would say a Hyper 7or 8 is a good place to start.I have 2 Hyper 7 i will sale for 335.00 shipped I dropped the price from 375.00 one buggy i raced it is RTR and has lots of Hope up parts on it the other was my back up buggy and all it need to be RTR is a Motor and servos here is the add.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...0-shipped.html

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=438893
Old 10-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

how about the Jammin buggies...? how do they compare to the Hyper 7's and 8's...?
Old 10-04-2008, 10:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I raced a lot of Jammin buggy's and Hyper 8 with the Hyper 7 i raced and they are just about the same buggy the Jammin is a little lighter but not a tuff as the Hyper 7 and 8 buggy's i liked the Hyper 8 buggy's not much has changed from the Hyper 7 that is way i never got an 8 and just keep running my 7.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:12 AM
D8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OFNA is just the US distributor for HoBao Racing and Hong Nor (jammin) products. the Hyper7 and Hyper8/8.5 are HoBao Racing and Jammin is Hong Nor... The Hyper7 and the Hyper8/8.5 are two total different buggies from the ground up... as they also drive totally different.. I have both buggies the H7 & H8 but, once you run the H8 at the track you will never go back to the H7...
Hyper7 Pro

Hyper8/8.5 Pro

Old 10-05-2008, 01:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If you would like to wait til November, Ofna is supposedly 'shipping' their Hyper 9 then. There have been many delays to this car, but it's probably due to testing and tweaking.

the Hyper 9 is being raced in top level racing such as the Ifmar 08 Worlds.
Not too sure about the price either.

Right now, I have a Losi 8ight but I'm passing it on to my little nephew to jump into 8th scale racing and I'm looking at picking up a Hyper 9 or Mugen MBX6
Old 10-05-2008, 05:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I started in 1/8 buggy back in 1991 with a ofna Pirate M1 and it took all kinds of abuse and I never replaced a part, a great car to start the hobby and learn
Old 10-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Tech Regular

Definitly the brand that I recommend for a beginner. Classic design but durable and parts are common
Old 10-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

does OFNA not make their own buggies?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ESmith
does OFNA not make their own buggies?
No, Ofna is a distributer for Hobao, and Hong-nor, hong Nor is mostly the jammin stuff
Old 10-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Mister-T
Definitly the brand that I recommend for a beginner. Classic design but durable and parts are common
I would agree. I raced/bashed the Hyper 7 for years, and its still capable of winning, but if you are going to race, make sure you only buy one of the race worthy buggies. There are only 3! hyper 8.5, Hyper 9, and the Jammin, The rest are all basher buggies, not good for racing IMO
Old 10-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Tech Initiate

I raced my hyper 8.5 pro all summer, and never broke any parts-hard core buggy, I know some people with the older hypers and they are sticking with them still.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Adept

If you go with a Hyper7, make ABSOLUTLEY SURE you dont get the one with Pivot ball suspension (PBS). It was my first hobby grade RC car and i could "outdrive" the car so to speak in only a few weeks racing and practicing. There wasnt much steering in the car and it always seemed to have a push that made the car inconsistent to drive. I bought a 777WC and won my first heat race with it and placed 5th in the main against the same competition. Im 100% positive it was the car that was holding me back. The car was great for a begginer tho because it was as strong as a tank and im sure the other Hyper7 versions are the same.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by NCWC
If you go with a Hyper7, make ABSOLUTLEY SURE you dont get the one with Pivot ball suspension (PBS). It was my first hobby grade RC car and i could "outdrive" the car so to speak in only a few weeks racing and practicing. There wasnt much steering in the car and it always seemed to have a push that made the car inconsistent to drive. I bought a 777WC and won my first heat race with it and placed 5th in the main against the same competition. Im 100% positive it was the car that was holding me back. The car was great for a begginer tho because it was as strong as a tank and im sure the other Hyper7 versions are the same.
I didn't have any of the same problems you had with your Hyper 7. i bought the pro kit a few years back, and then I built it to PBS-PCR specs. I will admit that the pivot balls needed extra maintenance, but they didn't cause any kind of handling or stearing problems for me. I was meticulous about my set-up though, as I used a caliper for ackerman, toe, squat, and camber/castor. I'm wondering if you just had a bad Hub, which was not threaded properly, that would have caused all kinds of problems.

anyway, its all in the past, since I started racing avidly I switched to X-Ray, and there's a huge difference between racing an X-ray, and racing any Ofna/Jammin buggy out there, but then its just my opinion, we all have different driving styles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.