Originally Posted by Nitro F150
any advice for a rookie?
Practice , Practice , and more Practice
Old 10-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

any advice for a rookie?
Drive with patience. Don't get to excited, you end up making mistakes. Sometimes slow is fast....

This is my first year in RC racing and I have had good luck by running slow and steady sometimes over going balls to the wall.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

club racing= lots
big races=0 (only made 2 A mains in three years)

"Just roll every jump untill your in first" Quote by Yuuchi kanai
Old 10-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Prophet

i won quite a few in 2wd gas and slash but in 1/8 buggy once but it is my first year of 1/8 and getting improved just drive smooth and be lucky and pass on the strights if u can
Old 10-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

My first season of racing....I only won 1 Spec Slash race. All my Nitro stuff kept having issues of varying sorts ;-)

Like everyone else has said...sometimes slow is fast....but sometimes fast is fast. It's all in your track layout and your driving skill. Just be patient...don't force anything....and race the track...not the other drivers. Once you can race the track effectively....then step up and try to race other drivers.

I've found myself out front a number of times...and by pushing things...I ended up losing spots. Rookie mistake in my rookie season. We all do it ;-)
Old 10-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

any advice for a rookie?
Buy the best equipment you can afford.Even if you have to buy second hand.Radio eqipment will make or break you.Paint your own bodies.Don't buy a cheaper copy of the car you want.Get the original.Use air filter oil every time.Don't be afraid to ask the pro's for help.Use the tires the fast guys use..Rebuild your clutch at least every two races..Brake only in a staight line and roll the corners off the gas.Get your engine properly tuned and leave it alone..A beginner does not need a $500.00 race engine...Practice with guys that are faster than you. Marshal like it's your car.Race where the fast guys race and not where only 10 people show up just so you can win...If you crash on a jump twice in one race, roll it.When you start winning in the novice class move up.Don't be embarrassed of your mistakes. Everyone started somewhere.Don't sweat it.No one is watching your car anyway. The most important thing in this hobby is HAVE FUN.

I am a midpack pro. I race with the fastest guys on the Eastcoast at the best tracks in Florida where I volunteer my dirt working skills to make the tracks better.I don't win alot but make the A main about 50%of the time.If it were a contest of who has the most fun I would be the World Champion.Thats all that really matters...Hope this helps.Race hard race often. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Addict

I won back to back races in the North Ga. Summer Nitro Series this year. First at Battlefield, then the second at Dalton. There was about 20-30 races in my class at both races I won. I haven't won a big race yet, I broke running 3rd in the B at the SIC in Cullman AL.

I hope to add a third to my resume this Saturday

-NuthinFancy91
Old 10-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Tech Prophet

i dont know about rebuilding your clutch every two races as long as u take care of it it should last longer than that ,thats kind of expensive doing that to me.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tc5 man
i dont know about rebuilding your clutch every two races as long as u take care of it it should last longer than that ,thats kind of expensive doing that to me.
I didn't say replace it.I said rebuild it.Fresh bearings and deburr the shoes.An hour of practice,two qualifiers and a 45 minute main.Times two that is four hours on a clutch.Time for a rebuild....Where I race the A main will have 4 or 5 guys that race at the worlds.I f you don't maintain your equipment you will not be competitive.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

ive only won one 1/8 scale buggy race (club race) and one monster truck race (which was actually my first ever nitro race). this is my first year of racing. ive learned a lot through out the year on how to race.. going slow and being patient is the key really. both times i won i only wreck just a few times. just be patient and stay consistent. but it really doesnt matter how u finish as long as u have fun and didnt break anything. as much as i enjoy winning i still liked the couple of battles where me and another guy was side by side over a lot of the jumps. never once took eachother out but i ended up wrecking and he won. but it was just as much fun battling with him than winning. but winning is still way cool lol
Old 10-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Briguy
Practice , Practice , and more Practice

a Big X2.

there's no replacement for Hours and Hours spend behind the wheel.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pete 26
I didn't say replace it.I said rebuild it.Fresh bearings and deburr the shoes.An hour of practice,two qualifiers and a 45 minute main.Times two that is four hours on a clutch.Time for a rebuild....Where I race the A main will have 4 or 5 guys that race at the worlds.I f you don't maintain your equipment you will not be competitive.
I had a clutch get a bit soft on me this weekend during practice so I took it apart for a peek. The shoes were toast! I was kind of surprised as it only had 2 races on it (with a number of practices laps run both days). The outer bearing was dry as well. I'll definitely be taking a look at it after every race day from now on.

I'm running 2 lightened aluminum shoes with gold springs and 2 composites with greens.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I only don 5 races this year and I won 2. My best advice is to get a decent car with a good set up and practice and practice and practice. You don't need to have the fastest car on the track you just have to have the right technics and driving skills.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.