R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Krawlin Send a message via MSN to Krawlin Send a message via Yahoo to Krawlin
Default How do you mount your receiver in your nitro buggy/truggy?

I have a Futaba 2PL 2.4GHz system (FHSS), and I am running nitro offroad. I was wondering how you guys mount your receivers in your receiver box? I currently have mine packed with this memory foam stuff, and some have told me they just use double sided sticky tape. Is packing the radio box with memory foam around the receiver overkill? Would double sided sticky tape work well and not shake the hell out of my receiver and kill it? I kind of want to use double sided sticky tape for a cleaner look and easier access to the receiver, but I am afraid the vibration will ruin the receiver (Does double sided sticky tape absorb vibration at all?).
Old 10-18-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

use memory foam in your box it will protect it a lot better ,double sided tape really does protect the rec from banging etc
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I use a thick double sided tape and I lightly pack some foam around it. Just make sure it is secure and will not bounce around
Old 10-19-2009, 01:05 AM   #4
H9
Tech Adept

I just use a couple of foam sticky-back dots so its not plastic on plastic, otherwise its just sitting in there. The servo & transponder wires will stop it from moving around much.

I wouldn't worry too much about how to pack your radio box - after 6 years of racing buggys and truggys, I've not had a receiver fail on me yet (apart from an aerial wire snapping). They are built with the end-use in mind, so are pretty robust.

Most radio boxes today are so compact there's not much room for movement anyhow!
H9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Amoeba Send a message via MSN to Amoeba Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba

Having read about (but never experienced) heat failure-related issues with Futaba receivers I place all of my receivers standing upright in the box using velcro and do not wrap them. The box pad + velcro provides enough of a cushion for hard impacts & vibration and the velcro ensures that the receiver isn't going to move. I prefer velcro over sticky tape as it makes it very easy to pull the receiver to swap/move/adjust wires when cleaning or fixing things.

Do Not Taunt Happy-Fun Ball
Amoeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by H9 View Post

Most radio boxes today are so compact there's not much room for movement anyhow!
with rec. two servo leads, transponder lead and lipo regulator in my 2.0 no room for foam. or movement