R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The Nova N21BF really is a good, bargain engine.

There's nothing "cheap" about it's construction or sleeve fitment, it's just an inexpensive engine.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

i like the os vzb can be found for 225 shipped to you from the cheese bay little more money alot more performance also when hobby people gots them on sale the sh engines are great practice motors faster than n21bf in my opinion but dont last as long as the nova
jewn_beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #18
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

what engine do you use to race ... I see you live in apple valley what track do you race at
Old 10-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Novarossi BF

the bf is a great engine, it is reliable, meaning it is easy to tune, and will last 10 gallons if cared for, just as long as any other engine by novarossi or rb. I know the nova has great torque, but I would be skeptical about the rb. JMO. You can get it for 150 easy. Give it time to break in though, I thought mine was slow until if finally broke in....
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:04 PM   #20
Tech Prophet

if u run a eight b atleat put a 15 tooth bell on the nova bf on a larger track it has just enough top end
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Dont think twice about running the bf21, it is a top notch motor. No need to change cb's or any thing else. When this motor is tuned correctly, it is very fast. I run a NR 9853 pipe with the NR short header. I make 9 minute run times (buggy, in the truggy im getting 12+) all day and am getting 8-10 gallons out of them.
818Designs.net - TKO
sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #22
Tech Prophet

i forgot to add put a dynamite 86 pipe on the nova bf its a high speed pipe cause this engine will have to much low end if u use a mid ridge or a low end pipe trust me
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:10 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcboxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by race raider View Post
what engine do you use to race ... I see you live in apple valley what track do you race at
I run the Mugen ninja 21. I usually race at green flag in hesperia but they just had there last race until they start racing again in feb. Thanks for all your replies guys.
rcboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #24
Tech Elite

I use the N21bf for practice and "club racing". The RB Junior 9 is similar, about $30 better. (rod & bearings)

I'll agree that its best to practice with the same engine your going to race. But at the tracks I've been to, they are not groomed on open practice days. The track is totally different to drive on when it isn't groomed. So it really isn't going to matter that your running a different motor.

I'll agree that cheap motors don't last as long. But the exception is the RB Junior9 (S3). That engine should out last a V-spec/ Ninja easy. I think it uses the same bearings and conrod as RB's race engines. It just deosn't have the expensive milling on the crank and sleeve that its big brothers have.

The N21b isn't exactly junk either. Decent bearings, conrod, and the piston sleeve are as good as any race engine. Put a 9886 and a 41020 long smooth header on it. Runs best with Byrons Gen 2 25/9 and NR #4 and #5 plugs.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
I use the N21bf for practice and "club racing". The RB Junior 9 is similar, about $30 better. (rod & bearings)

I'll agree that its best to practice with the same engine your going to race. But at the tracks I've been to, they are not groomed on open practice days. The track is totally different to drive on when it isn't groomed. So it really isn't going to matter that your running a different motor.

I'll agree that cheap motors don't last as long. But the exception is the RB Junior9 (S3). That engine should out last a V-spec/ Ninja easy. I think it uses the same bearings and conrod as RB's race engines. It just deosn't have the expensive milling on the crank and sleeve that its big brothers have.

The N21b isn't exactly junk either. Decent bearings, conrod, and the piston sleeve are as good as any race engine. Put a 9886 and a 41020 long smooth header on it. Runs best with Byrons Gen 2 25/9 and NR #4 and #5 plugs.
So Ur saying the rb isn't to much different from the n21 just better bearings n rod?
jeff alessi 801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Unless things have changed. RB used to have a real informative website. I think all of their bearings and conrods were top shelf. I think they used the same parts as much as possible, only adding ports or turboheads, and turbo cranks.

I'm fairly certain that the N21 has a different rod than the Toro/+4/FMS. Probally still better than a V-spud rod.

I think the rod is why the S3/Junior9 cost a little extra. its got a real nice low cooling head great for low profile bodies. (Xray/ Losi/ AE)

I'm running the N21 and love it. Half the price of a spud and keeps up fine on the tracks I run.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #27
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I can never understand why you would want to practice with an engine other than you race with. The car/ truck will behave differently, some throttle happy drivers will actually drive faster and more consistent with a slower engine. So can someone explain to me why you would want to practice with a different engine other than the one that you race with?
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #28
Tech Elite

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

My +4 sits in its box with a new clutch and bell on ready to go. Rarely is it needed for raceing other than my N21. The little 3 port works as well on smaller tracks and still has the mileage needed.

I can buy 2 N21's for the cost of one +4 or Vspud. 3 and some plugs for the cost of one of your Speeds. So if you don't really need the big race engine, pop in something more economical.

On practice days the track isn't groomed as well as race days anyway. And the learning curve from one engine to the other takes about half a tank to get used to.