R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

ya i shaved 1.394 seconds off my lap times by only putting one very light coat on my body. lol I dont think that body paint is going to make a noticable differnce.
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #62
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by H9 View Post
Yeah I don't disagree with that. But I do quietly laugh at racers who try and save weight in all sorts of various ways, whereas if they spent as much time learning how to drive better....! One crash or rollover loses all the time you might have gained with a truggy that is 100gms lighter than the heavier one that passes you while on your roof!
...my intent isn't to save weight with that body, but rather, to lower it. Personally, I have never paid attention to how heavy my truggy is because my engine has more than enough power, but I do care where the weight is on my chassis. I agree that driving better and staying wheels down is the only way to be fast.
**M2C**Hitec 7955TG Servos**Buku Clutch
www.apaarchery.com www.skoffroad.ca www.youtube.com/nitrofreakmanho
NitroFreakManHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:14 PM   #63
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H9 View Post
Looks-wise, I still reckon Hobao got it right with the ST Pro

The rails on the back break up the 'flat deck' look, which in my opinion looks ugly on the Losi - functional or not!

And I find it hard to believe that the shape of the shell will make that much of a difference to the handling for 95% of us! If it did, why is it that I can still qualify so well against the current crop of truggies (and similarly skilled drivers) with my ageing ST?
The Hyper pro Lid makes the Hyper Truggy the best looking one in the lot, but I will tell you from owning one, its the heaviest damn lid I ever felt. That lid alone is close to 1/2 pound. Coupled with the fact the Hyper iteself is one of the heaviest truggies out there, it dont make for a good racing combo
Old 10-21-2009, 11:40 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo View Post

That doesn't look at all like a truggy to me...where's the pan chassis, and the extra wide arms, independent rear suspension and oversize rims and tires ? Again, a truggy did not spawn from full scale racing, it spawned from RCs, so comparing it to a full scale race truck makes no sense at all. Besides, the full scale version doesn't really resemble a production truck body either.

Look again real buggies and truggies while being tube framed all carry a flat pan bottom, the arms are massivly wide on a desert car as well(upwards of three and a half feet long or more) with well over 20 inches of front and rear travel(35+ in TT and class 1). class 1 buggies do use independant rear suspension wich you can clearly see. most trophy trucks and truggies also have wings right overtop the spare rear tires.

Oversized rims and tires? most desert rides(tt, truggy) roll on a minum of 35 inch rubber.

The name truggy WAS lifted from desert racing 100% without a doubt where it was as stated before a combination of the two fastest classes. Rc "truggies" are simply 1/8th scale trucks and its about time people stopped refering to them as truggies. No one ever called 1/10ths truggies when the truck convesions started showwing up, simply 1/10th trucks.
HaulinBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:25 AM   #65
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I thought the term truggies came from when r/c companies were combining the drive train and chassis's from buggies with longer suspension arms. TRUCK + BUGGY = TRUGGY

IMO, when the 1/10th stadium electric trucks came out, there really wasn't a "truck" racing class yet. I remember when the RC10 "truck" came out along with the JRX-T. Those trucks really started the truck racing craze IMO. I had to get one of those RPM conversion RC10T's. It weighed a ton, but it was cool to be different. I wish I never sold that truck!
HB D8T with BCE Chassis, ACE Shock towers and motor mounts, M2C Rear Suspension system, KH front steering plate and chassis braces, Lunsford Ti-turnbuckles & hinge pins, OS Speed motor, Hitec 5995TG steering, Futaba 9351 throttle/brake, OS 2060 pipe, and J concepts Punisher Body.
HB D8: CEO Mods Novarossi P5K with JP4 tuned pipe, JR 9000T steering, JR 8800T throttle.
gotspeed_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:57 AM   #66
Tech Fanatic

The genesis of the truggy name is only loosely based on name from desert racing in that an RC "truggy" is a truck based on a buggy - the same logic that lead to the desert racers being called a truggy - but theirs is a buggy based on a trophy class truck. An RC truggy was never intended to be a scale version of a desert racer, but it is a truck based on a buggy design.

As far as the rest of the discussion is concerned, I agree that the current crop of trucks look like ass. I'm a fan of something that more closely resembles the form of real truck, and these "cab forward" designs that are smashed flat and sawed off at the rear are the most offensive interpretations of what a truck is. It's just one of many opinions, but it's my story and I'm sticking to it.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 AM   #67
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Arguing about body's.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:20 AM   #68
Tech Elite

Why do people keep comparing the 1.1 buggies to toys?

IMO the toys are not designed after the 1.1 at all
Old 10-22-2009, 07:42 AM   #69
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I chuckle at the "weight of paint" concept, because lots of racers take the bodies I paint and then smear a heavy coat of ShooGoo over the entire inside, adding way more weight than more paint ever could.

I guess they figure overall body weight is not an issue in being effective at racing.

Colors By Dave - I love to paint
Colors_By_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #70
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colors_By_Dave View Post
I chuckle at the "weight of paint" concept, because lots of racers take the bodies I paint and then smear a heavy coat of ShooGoo over the entire inside, adding way more weight than more paint ever could.

I guess they figure overall body weight is not an issue in being effective at racing.
I'm guessing that you're much better at painting than I am. I know that when I have an unpainted lexan body, it feels like it weighs considerably less than one that I paint up. I have never weighed it before and after to see the difference, but I can the next time. I'm also one of the racers that uses Shoo-Goo on my shells, therefore adding more weight up high.

Now, I'm not telling anyone to reduce the weight of their vehicle by using lighter paint, what I am stating is this( and don't twist it up again ): the body of my RC8T sits nearly 2 inches above the head of my engine..you can't tell me that moving that weight down on the chassis won't have any positive effect on handling. Give me a break LOL. Even if it wasn't painted, you are still lowering your COG with a low profile body. These new bodies aren't lighter, just lower. It makes no difference to me if you agree though.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #71
Tech Elite

with all the modded 7hp engines people claim to have, why does it matter. and I dont care what no one say, a clear body will not be faster or produce more power or get better grab,or jump, or handle better or produce gold smoke or make tires last long than a painted body with 10 colors or a wrap. If that was the case all of the PRO drivers would not paint the bodies or use wraps.

1.394 seconds That is ALOT of time saved per lap
Old 10-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #72
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
with all the modded 7hp engines people claim to have, why does it matter. and I dont care what no one say, a clear body will not be faster or produce more power or get better grab,or jump, or handle better or produce gold smoke or make tires last long than a painted body with 10 colors or a wrap. If that was the case all of the PRO drivers would not paint the bodies or use wraps.

...again, I'm talking about COG
Old 10-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #73
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post

All the more reson to use very little paint
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #74
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo View Post
...again, I'm talking about COG
And Im talking about the weight of paint
Old 10-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #75
Tech Elite

Quote: