Wiki Posts
Search

Most informative RC "Racing" Magazine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DerekB
We had such a spam issue i have to approve all members and if your screenname or email looks random I don't notice it. Tell me what the screen name is and i'll approve it if you do it today.

ill get on it later...thx.

email isn't random its my last name.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Integra
ill get on it later...thx.

email isn't random its my last name.
Well your last name mixed into a sea of 100 spam accounts doesn't stand out.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Lord

Well your last name mixed into a sea of 100 spam accounts doesn't stand out.

Gotcha
Old 10-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

Hey Derek, GREAT JOB on the Magazine. I have had a subscription now for 4 years or so specifically for the content you provide, plus the girls! It is in my opinion the most informative source out there. I had a subscription to Car Action but cancelled when I started not recieving issues and they started a 30 page advertisement for TRAXXAS.

As far as forums for information, when a question is asked, 9 times out of 10 you receive an answer which is influenced heavily by ones opinion! Kinda like this thread.

Again, GREAT JOB Derek and all the staff and thank you! And Derek, if you have a chance swing over to the Altoona Raceway thread in the Track Locator forum. We're recently under new ownership and our thread has kinda gone stale.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Who directs a Kyosho toward a new person? All race cars we test are listed as "intermediate to advanced," which ironically most people think they are really good drivers (I've seen most drive and I'd say they are not really that good )

Also we've rated things lower than a 7. And what have you driven that was a "4" in something? Everybody always thinks this but actually when challenged to tell why...they don't. And more so they may be emotional over something they bought didn't perform well for them. But think about it...a 70 is passing is school and average, but when I was a kid that average was much harder to get. Now they give kids more points on their SATs just because...everybody gets Bs and that's really what the average is. So if you can't figure out that 8 is average, 9, is above and 10 is awesome...what does it matter really. That doesn't take into account that if something is terrible we don't need to review it...there are more good kits on the market today than ever...and for cheap.

Also remember, reviews aren't shootouts. THey are not a comparison to another car. It is unfair and wrong to compare cars that aren't on the same track with the same conditions..and why shootouts are so good.

As for your Servo comment, you're getting a full race car for hundreds less than the kit car...that crappy servo is pretty average...I don't think we've ever said "these RTR" electronics are awesome...because all are price point items.

But every time I challenge somebody to defend their statements...they seem to not come up with anything. Dont' forget you can't judge a car intended for bashing to be held to race standards...everything is judged on intended user.
I'm not saying your wrong and i'm right, it just seems like there is less truth to things sometimes. Personally i know a 10 means great but i also feel an 8 or 9 means top of the line too so when i see 6 reviews and they all have 8-10 on thier scores i'm still confused.
I pre-ordered the 8ight 1.0 months in advance solely off reviews (1st car) and loved it. After a year i went to the Matrix FRE because of friends and family. But at the time i didn't know the only way to keep it competitive was to upgrade EVERYTHING. Clutch bells snapped like twigs, towers bent constantly, gas tanks broke just looking at them, heavy as heck, etc... So i built a CEN that had 50% Mugen parts on it and got it raceable. Now i'm back with the 2.0 but that is because every mag said it was the shizz...
Mugen drivers swear by Mugen, Xray by Xray and so on but i assume mags don't pay for your cars so you guys could be more impartial and say hey "This car is fun because all RC is fun but don't bring that (xxxx) to the track because it won't win.
The D8 won the Worlds but i heard it was with a lot of stuff that isn't on the car that comes out of the box. Where is the truth in that ?
Just my Opinion.
Like i said keep writing and i'll keep reading.
And i don't want the $60.00 subscription, so i'll stick with the insert card price.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Derek, I gotta hand it to you man, you are dedicated to XRC! Anytime there is a magazine discussion your here, in the trenches, gunning down the haters with shots of reality. That's pretty cool. You guys do a good magazine too, and I love the fact you don't put boats or helis in it, because that is just ridiculous.
Having said that, I don't actually buy the mag anymore. After 9 years of reading magazines you eventually get pretty accustomed to the standard format. Not to mention the fact that we've become so spoiled by the internet now. Our hunger for instant gratification just can't be satisfied by magazines. News that is 2 weeks old now is, apparently, way to slow. That thought now, actually, that leads me off on a bit of tangent. Derek, what direction do you think print magazines are going in the future? With competition from the internet growing stronger I've heard that print sales are down, so what can the magazine industry do to bring people back? Or, maybe not so much "the industry", since that would involve suppliers and retailers too, but what kind of innovations can the editors bring to the table?

My take on the magazine situation: The thing is with magazines is that they can't offer the same kind of depth of content that online articles can because of space constraints and the fact that they are constrained by what a very broad and diverse readership demand. It's tough to sell magazines to every country in the world, but every website can be seen from any country in the world. Websites can cater to niche markets a lot easier than print media can. Take www.oople.com's car reviews for example. Amazing attention to detail. After reading one of his reviews you feel like you really know all the ins and outs of the car, but to put that review in a magazine it would take up probably 15+ pages, which is way to much space to devote to one car review.

Last edited by WheelNut; 10-20-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

WOW...great thread! My answer to the question of this thread, I buy the all 4 mainstream RC rags, and my numero uno is XRC, followed by R/C Car and RCD, and lastly, RCCA. I enjoy reading them all.

I like the style of XRC, the direct approach, and no-bull feel you get when you read the articles. Each magazine has it's own strengths though ( although R/C Car has lost one of it's best features, Josh Langness's paint articles ). I'm also guilty of getting most of my information from the web, but I still like having the magazines ( ... afterall, I can't take my 24" iMac to the toilet with me for a good read).

Many magazines are bought by new hobbyists, and magazines have to cater to them, not just the experienced racer. Also, I would think that there are much more bashers than racers out there ( don't ask me why ), and they probably read the magazines too, so again, editors have to keep in mind who the majority of the readers will be. When I bashed, I relied more on magazines for info, but when I started racing, I started exploring the web for the information I needed( with my B.S. Filter on full power )

Nid
Old 10-21-2009, 02:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'm in agreeing with that i think that the 2 best mags are XRC and RC Car.

i don't mind reading the British racer mag either.

the Australian racing lines magazine isn't that good it need to be more informative but there is new of another Australasian mag coming out soon.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Derek is correct in what he is saying. Magazines are not all bread and butter as most think and it's full of hard work.
When a new car is released, it's a rush to get the test review out to print ASAP. When this happens, short and long term issues of the test car don't always unfold or present themselves in that short span of time.

Race coverage can depend on the location of the company and where editors are located. While racing deserves coverage, it only represents a small percentage of the RC market. Consider your local hobby store. They stock a little bit of everything and boost sales on trend setting ideas. Magazines are no different.

In this day and age it's most important to come together and represent the hobby to the best of your ability and encourage children and newbies.

Greg B.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Well the problem with new products coming out and infor on those new products are now owned by the internet. Now mags, have alot of smaller and hidden items that I feel they get paid to promote. The pics again IMO are ads. One thing about the mags in general that I like and one of the reasons I subscribe over and over and over is becuase of hidden details. Between batteries and little option parts, pics of rides and parts - the STARTER BOX AND LEARN HOW TO edits are great to learn or to be refreshed on different products that can make your day at the track enjoyable. OH I forgot the best reason GIRLS.......Cover for Aug 09 XRC - OMG I would by the XRAY just because of who holding it.......
Old 10-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg B
Derek is correct in what he is saying. Magazines are not all bread and butter as most think and it's full of hard work.
When a new car is released, it's a rush to get the test review out to print ASAP. When this happens, short and long term issues of the test car don't always unfold or present themselves in that short span of time.

Race coverage can depend on the location of the company and where editors are located. While racing deserves coverage, it only represents a small percentage of the RC market. Consider your local hobby store. They stock a little bit of everything and boost sales on trend setting ideas. Magazines are no different.

In this day and age it's most important to come together and represent the hobby to the best of your ability and encourage children and newbies.

Greg B.
+1

This makes complete sense from a business stand-point, afterall, the magazine doesn't print itself, and the costs, I expect, are quite high in your line of work.

It looks fun from the outside looking in ( and I'm that sure many days are fun) but I'm also aware that it can be quite stressful a majority of the time trying to keep your readers interested..there are so many people that you have to try and cater to, and the majority's interests will likely always come first..this makes complete sense. At the same time, you have to compete with the internet

As I mentioned, when I first started this hobby, I relied heavily on magazine articles, and I'm thankful that those articles were written by people that have some kind of reputation to uphold. It was very helpful to me. Now that I've advanced and started racing a few years ago, I looked for my information on the web. This is mainly because now I look for specific information that I can only track down online. I'm extremely picky of who's advice I follow online, and I've learned a great deal from my fellow racers.

I buy every magazine every month because I enjoy reading them, and I still learn new things from them because I'm not an expert. I will continue to support RC rags as long as I'm in this hobby because they play a vital role in this industry

Nid
Old 10-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo
WOW...great thread! My answer to the question of this thread, I buy the all 4 mainstream RC rags, and my numero uno is XRC, followed by R/C Car and RCD, and lastly, RCCA. I enjoy reading them all.

I like the style of XRC, the direct approach, and no-bull feel you get when you read the articles. Each magazine has it's own strengths though ( although R/C Car has lost one of it's best features, Josh Langness's paint articles ). I'm also guilty of getting most of my information from the web, but I still like having the magazines ( ...

Nid

Thanks man, that means a lot to me

I had to quit painting for a while to tend to some matters at the house. Thankfully, everything is great again and I have resumed airbrush ops again. I did enjoy my time with RC Car and have nothing but respect for the editors there. It was difficult at times because I'm on the East Coast and they're all over on the left coast. Maybe I'll see if they'll take me back in after the New Year

That being said... as far as magazine coverage goes, I prefer RC Car to others because it is intended for a racer (more race-oriented reviews, parts, race coverage, etc.) RC Car, XRC, and RCD all have some pretty funny guys and I enjoy the wit from all 3 of those magazines. However, as a father of young kids that like to read the magazines that Dad has, I don't care for the language, "girls", or innuendoes that are in XRC. I know, it's a grown-up hobby, but I think you should cater to all potential readers, not just the majority.

-Josh
Old 10-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by WheelNut
Derek, I gotta hand it to you man, you are dedicated to XRC! Anytime there is a magazine discussion your here, in the trenches, gunning down the haters with shots of reality. That's pretty cool. You guys do a good magazine too, and I love the fact you don't put boats or helis in it, because that is just ridiculous.
Having said that, I don't actually buy the mag anymore. After 9 years of reading magazines you eventually get pretty accustomed to the standard format. Not to mention the fact that we've become so spoiled by the internet now. Our hunger for instant gratification just can't be satisfied by magazines. News that is 2 weeks old now is, apparently, way to slow. That thought now, actually, that leads me off on a bit of tangent. Derek, what direction do you think print magazines are going in the future? With competition from the internet growing stronger I've heard that print sales are down, so what can the magazine industry do to bring people back? Or, maybe not so much "the industry", since that would involve suppliers and retailers too, but what kind of innovations can the editors bring to the table?

My take on the magazine situation: The thing is with magazines is that they can't offer the same kind of depth of content that online articles can because of space constraints and the fact that they are constrained by what a very broad and diverse readership demand. It's tough to sell magazines to every country in the world, but every website can be seen from any country in the world. Websites can cater to niche markets a lot easier than print media can. Take www.oople.com's car reviews for example. Amazing attention to detail. After reading one of his reviews you feel like you really know all the ins and outs of the car, but to put that review in a magazine it would take up probably 15+ pages, which is way to much space to devote to one car review.

Thanks man, the thing about the internet is that if people say things suck some how they become the expert.

Oope does an okay job, yes the internet allows you to put more in to things, but I dont' feel it adds as much value. If you only have space for 2,000 words...your words are much more precise and straight to the point. I've meet the oople crew and they are cool, but I read a review that people were raving about..a Tamiya buggy. While his article was anally in depth I couldn't help but reading that he never races off-road and never races nitro. So how is his opinion really valid...or better done? I dont' get that. It looks technical. That's not to say he can't learn.

The internet has changed a few things, but it's not new. We've been existing together for over 10 years. Despite what "the internet says' magazine sales aren't really down. Advertising is because the economy sucks donkey balls, but we still sell lots of magazines.

You don't see in online because the web is free. There can't be the production of websites like there are magazines because the cost/time to do that isn't paid for.

Oople can spend days doing a review because they post what...a review a month? Maybe 2? At our peak we were doing 5 reviews, and 100 pages of content a month. If I only had to do a review a month I could do I step by step overly detailed process...which most people would only read the conclusion and hits and misses...lol.

We offer a complete online version and when the economy comes back we'll redo our website...which is severely neglected because we don't have the staff to change it right now.

I'd also say the internet isn't growing stronger it's become to wide and too spread out...I know you guys love RC, but think of something else in your life and go into those forums. I was looking for a sub woofer for my house and went to some AV forums and it was a nightmare.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

I also post just to give an alternate point of view. It's very easy to get a mob mentality.

Also to address the comment about needing to drive a car for months to give an opinion..I thought of a great counter point to that...if you handed your car to Ryan Cavalieri would you expect him to be able to tell the characteristics of the car in a few laps or would he need a month?
Old 10-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

And just for credibility of my last statement. I've raced with Ryan. Me and a stock Slash in with BL SC10s. Not too bad considering I have a truck with no corner speed and a stock servo/esc... .8 seconds off the lap time.

OCRC Wednesday Night Racing
Timing and Scoring by
Round#
Race# 9
Driver Name Pos Car# Laps Race Time Fast Lap Behind Q#
TQ: Mike McMahon 15/5:15.504
www.RCScoringPro.com
SC 10 (A Main)
Top 5
Average
Sponsor Top 10 Top 20
Josh Anderson 1 8 18 6:06.435 19.923 20.167 20.303 2
Ryan Cavalieri 2 2 18 6:15.434 20.098 8.999 20.254 20.494 5
Mike McMahon 3 5 18 6:21.461 20.333 15.026 20.695 20.920 1
Derek, Buono 4 4 17 6:04.092 20.858 21.000 21.170 4
Bob Stelflue 5 6 17 6:23.794 21.207 19.702 21.376 21.702 6
Chris Jarosz 6 1 16 6:02.214 21.250 21.359 21.749 3
Carl Hyndman 7 9 16 6:18.592 21.160 16.378 21.526 22.397 7
David, Dalzell 8 10 16 6:21.200 21.694 18.986 22.581 22.999 9
Matt Skipple 9 7 16 6:23.931 21.848 21.717 22.195 22.796 8
Roy, Fulk 10 11 16 6:25.281 22.081 23.067 22.430 23.205 10
Ric Fish 11 0 15 6:10.264 22.007 22.685 23.300 12
Aret Elbicer 12 3 15 6:23.630 21.979 13.366 22.957 24.246 11
Dano 13 20 1 0:26.571 13

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.