R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #31
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by san. View Post
What sig?
I guess at some point they took away signatures..

It used to say EX ARR SEE magazine at the bottom and www.rc411.com
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I would like to see shoot-outs. I really can't believe the mags don't do them.
bphil49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #33
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphil49 View Post
I would like to see shoot-outs. I really can't believe the mags don't do them.

I'll tell you why...they are super hard to get to come together. Cars are coming out all the time and it's hard to cut off a date and get it done. Factor in there are classes with 12 cars...it becomes a man power and logistical nightmare. One of our last shootouts had over $25,000 in gear. And then with 8+ cars it's hard to really give them all the attention they need.

So that's why you see so few...it's not that simple.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #34
Tech Regular

You only really need to do the top three or four cars in say 1/8th buggy and truggy.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #35
Tech Master

Quote:
You only really need to do the top three or four cars in say 1/8th buggy and truggy.

That doesn't work. What are the top 3, and who do we cut out.

Say Buggy.

Kyosho, Losi, Mugen, AE, Hot bodies, OFNA, O'Donnell...and I'm sure I'm missing more, is already 7 buggies. And if we are testing to find the best leaving out some that might be good but just dont' have the best factory drivers is pretty unfair.

The same if for truggy...we have about 7 1/12-scale cars all waiting to see if we go 1S lipo or 4-cell for testing...it's not fair to cut out things based on perception of what is the top buggy.

If that was the case I'd say buy no other buggy than the Hotbodies...which won the worlds and the kit is $380...why would you buy something different.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
But that is subjective to what you think is top 3/4 cars. top selling? Used to be AE and Losi, then add Mugen, them Kyosho then Jammim them Xray, then add Hot bodies then Tamiya......Thats his point, you have to draw the line, go over to Italy or what ever and you'll see so cars we never get over here and it goes on and on. And maybe you can drive a Xray with an Airtronics radio, but when you use a Futaba, I just cant seem to get it right....
Old 10-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #37
Tech Regular

You only did four in your "cage match". That worked out pretty well.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #38
Tech Master

Quote:
You only did four in your "cage match". That worked out pretty well.

No we had about 9 cars and then we started to eliminate them by times...like qualifying.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Amoeba Send a message via MSN to Amoeba Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba

Shoot outs are great since it gives prospective customers a rundown on each car's strengths & weaknesses in comparison to each other (with multiple drivers on each car and their choices/reviews) and is a staple type of review in car mags. As you mentioned, where to draw the line on which ones to include is difficult (as listed in posts above)... but not if you choose a budget parameter. Say a shootout on kit buggies at the $450-$550 price range running all the same engines/electronics or the best RTR buggy under $350...

Do Not Taunt Happy-Fun Ball
Amoeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well i'm a reader of everything i can. I don't pay attention to articles about crawling because it's not my thing but i understand your making a mag for everyone and not just me.
What i don't like at all is (i get my mags mixed up) when on a scale of 1-10 every car is a 9 or 10 with a few 8's. I've driven and seen some 4's but no-one ever says that. And the other one says this car is for everyone or intermediate to pro. That's bull. A $900.00 Kyosho should never be directed towards a newbie who has cash and then finds out he wasted money because he can't drive.
Just because John Force can handle a fast Mustang doesn't mean the kid next door with 2 months behind a pinto can handle the same Mustang.
I would just like more honesty with the ratings of vehicles.
Why doesn't anyone say "Yeah the Losi 8ight RTR is a great car, but the 270servo they give you is JUNK"!
Keep printing and i'll keep reading.
PS. Stop sending me renewals for 24.95 when the insert card that comes with my mag says 19.95.
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #41
Tech Master

While i'm at it... Why is a subscription 12 issues for $20.00, but if i by one at the store every month i'll end up spending $60.00 ? Always thought that seemed odd. If i go out of my way to get the latest issue i pay more than if i just sit home and let you deliver it to my front door.
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #42
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbelden View Post
While i'm at it... Why is a subscription 12 issues for $20.00, but if i by one at the store every month i'll end up spending $60.00 ? Always thought that seemed odd. If i go out of my way to get the latest issue i pay more than if i just sit home and let you deliver it to my front door.
BEcause we want you to subscribe, and it cost 10 times more to have it put on shelves than it does for somebody to get it in the mail. All magazines basically throw out 60-70% of their issues on the newsstand.

But if you want to pay $60 to subscribe for a year I'll bill ya
Old 10-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #43
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbelden View Post
Well i'm a reader of everything i can. I don't pay attention to articles about crawling because it's not my thing but i understand your making a mag for everyone and not just me.
What i don't like at all is (i get my mags mixed up) when on a scale of 1-10 every car is a 9 or 10 with a few 8's. I've driven and seen some 4's but no-one ever says that. And the other one says this car is for everyone or intermediate to pro. That's bull. A $900.00 Kyosho should never be directed towards a newbie who has cash and then finds out he wasted money because he can't drive.
Just because John Force can handle a fast Mustang doesn't mean the kid next door with 2 months behind a pinto can handle the same Mustang.
I would just like more honesty with the ratings of vehicles.
Why doesn't anyone say "Yeah the Losi 8ight RTR is a great car, but the 270servo they give you is JUNK"!
Keep printing and i'll keep reading.
PS. Stop sending me renewals for 24.95 when the insert card that comes with my mag says 19.95.
Who directs a Kyosho toward a new person? All race cars we test are listed as "intermediate to advanced," which ironically most people think they are really good drivers (I've seen most drive and I'd say they are not really that good )

Also we've rated things lower than a 7. And what have you driven that was a "4" in something? Everybody always thinks this but actually when challenged to tell why...they don't. And more so they may be emotional over something they bought didn't perform well for them. But think about it...a 70 is passing is school and average, but when I was a kid that average was much harder to get. Now they give kids more points on their SATs just because...everybody gets Bs and that's really what the average is. So if you can't figure out that 8 is average, 9, is above and 10 is awesome...what does it matter really. That doesn't take into account that if something is terrible we don't need to review it...there are more good kits on the market today than ever...and for cheap.

Also remember, reviews aren't shootouts. THey are not a comparison to another car. It is unfair and wrong to compare cars that aren't on the same track with the same conditions..and why shootouts are so good.

As for your Servo comment, you're getting a full race car for hundreds less than the kit car...that crappy servo is pretty average...I don't think we've ever said "these RTR" electronics are awesome...because all are price point items.

But every time I challenge somebody to defend their statements...they seem to not come up with anything. Dont' forget you can't judge a car intended for bashing to be held to race standards...everything is judged on intended user.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #44
Tech Lord

Send a message via MSN to Integra

Derek why cant i get an acct on your forum...ive Tried MANY of time's.....tried to Email the webmaster multiple time's....but No luck....what's the deal ?
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #45
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Derek why cant i get an acct on your forum...ive Tried MANY of time's.....tried to Email the webmaster multiple time's....but No luck....what's the deal ?
We had such a spam issue i have to approve all members and if your screenname or email looks random I don't notice it. Tell me what the screen name is and i'll approve it if you do it today.