Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Who uses on road engines for off-road racing??? >

Who uses on road engines for off-road racing???

Who uses on road engines for off-road racing???

Old 10-09-2009, 03:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Who uses on road engines for off-road racing???

Who uses on road engines for off-road racing...mostly on a buggy???
Old 10-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

waiting to here that my self.........

On road engines are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ bucks for 1/8
plue they have no torque...
Old 10-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Why would you ask this question? Plus without custom made stuff, Header Motor Mount Exhaust, you cant an onroad engine in an offroad buggy.

Dumbest Thread Ever.....
Old 10-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Euro Stealth
Why would you ask this question? Plus without custom made stuff, Header Motor Mount Exhaust, you cant an onroad engine in an offroad buggy.

Dumbest Thread Ever.....
Why? I have seen it done......
Old 10-09-2009, 07:33 AM
Tech Addict

Dumbest Thread Ever.....
And yes you can put a on road motor in a buggy they both have a rear exhaust so yes you can but there are only a hand full of people that i seen do it
Old 10-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I use Helicopter Engines in my Buggy, it makes it FLY!!!
Old 10-09-2009, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dumbest Thread Ever.....
Dumbest post ever!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

@ Killa B - hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha +1
Old 10-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Dumbest Thread Ever.....
they both have rear exhaust

A friend of mine does it for his 9-yr old once in a while to help him control the bottom rpm's better. It actually works. It's pointless to purchase an on-road mill to run offroad, but if you have a stack of on-road mills you don't know what do do with, why not.

Paul
Old 10-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I agree with Paul, unless you got a onroad engine now is the only way I would do it, and like said before you would lose a ton of bottom end.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The off-road mills produce more torque than their on-road counterparts? Seems rather backwards to me, on-road vehicles have a ton more traction and could put the power to the ground much better than an off-road vehicle. They typically have tighter turns that could benefit from more torque as well. I've only seen a couple 1/8 on-road tracks but both had a single long back straight with a front straight approximately 1/2 the length of the back so it wouldnt seem top end HP would be the main focus.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
The off-road mills produce more torque than their on-road counterparts? Seems rather backwards to me, on-road vehicles have a ton more traction and could put the power to the ground much better than an off-road vehicle. They typically have tighter turns that could benefit from more torque as well. I've only seen a couple 1/8 on-road tracks but both had a single long back straight with a front straight approximately 1/2 the length of the back so it wouldnt seem top end HP would be the main focus.
Yes but we also have two speeds to keep the RPM's up in onroad. Also the cars are a bit lighter and we have clutches with insanely high stall speeds that hit like a wrecking ball.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I was also told the case and the cooling head would not hold up to the pounding offroad conditions. Not to mention the head is smaller. Mark smith at powerhousercperformance built me a grp tuned 21 that he modified an onroad p/s and put in an offroad case. Can to change the ports up quite a bit to give the motor any bottom at all, also had to use a jp-1 pipe. With all this work done the motor ran great I have since sold it to a guy that races oval and he said it is a rocket on an oval-more power than a C6 and almost as much as a 28.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My post was pretty dumb, I agree, but so is this thread. Most on road motors are 9 port motors, don't need that in a buggy, nor would it be benefitial.

I based my post off of how the motor mounts in on road compared to offroad, but after some comparison it would work just fine, so I retract my statement about needing custom stuff.

Still i do believe it would be pointless to try an run offroad with an on road mill.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Yes but we also have two speeds to keep the RPM's up in onroad. Also the cars are a bit lighter and we have clutches with insanely high stall speeds that hit like a wrecking ball.
I'd like to give it a shot someday. The first track I ever went to (Ranch Pit Shop) had a nice looking 1/8 on-road course; the cars were amazing even back then ('86ish).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.