R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

This race will have 24 hours practice......so plenty of open practice.

Domit, it would be cool to do that much run time. But with 200-350 entries like most large races you run into time issues.

I'm gonna go on a limb and say you don't race much, because I have yet to see many races with 15 minute d-z mains..lol

Never hurts though man...for sure.

Manf. Cup...those guys did a great job. Whats the deal on it? Why did it not come back.I heard rumours that the place was hard to deal with.

We got some different things going on with the shootout as well...
Old 10-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABURTON View Post
I know cheaper is always better. But how would a $70 entry fee look to the average racers if:

Race had tons of sponsors....I mean lots. All of these said sponsor donations go back to the open and sportsman drivers.

Free shirt and track supplied corner marshal with that $70 entry fee. So no cornering for the racers. Just kicking back, hanging out and some racing...

Indoor a super large arena, so event is a given no matter the weather. It's planned in a time of year when temps are low to mid 80's. Same temps inside.

Covered pits with lights and event supplied power and concrete floor. Outside just steps from the driverstand.

same run time for pro/open/and sportsman classes, no cutting the regular guys short

big trophies for top 5 in every class.

$4000 payout minimum for pro class and up to 10k with $325 entries(expected 250-350)

Did I mention huge prize packages for open and sportsman classes with sponsorship contracts good for one year etc?

Factory Drivers at the event

On site custom design tshirts

Proffesional announcer

Liverc.com

RC Car Magazine covering event...

I think this is a great thread and would love to here what you guys think an event of this level is worth on entry fee..

Thanks!

Alan Burton
The Speed Shop
2010 Alabama Manf. Shootout
I'd drive a good distance for a race like that and mind you I live in Texas. In other words if it were in Alabama, no problem. $70 is actually a good deal for an event such as that. No corner marshalling. Are we in heaven???
rfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:26 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Alan, You build it and we'll all come.
My main complaint about big races is that i do pay just as much to race and have fun but because i'm a stinky driver i only get a 7-10 min main.
As for an indoor track distance wouldn't be a factor if the track is the right size, i'm not saying huge but if it could be the size if (Nitro Fever?), then that is well worth it.
I TM my races and both of Coty's entries too so i'm all for the paid TM's, hell i'll even be one.
When this becomes a reality let us know.
One last point about the sponsor swag, i believe tire company products should be handed out before the race (raffle ?) so that you can actually try out the tires and give feedback immediately on there performance. Tires from big races don't tend to work on my local tracks.
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:54 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABURTON View Post
This race will have 24 hours practice......so plenty of open practice.

Domit, it would be cool to do that much run time. But with 200-350 entries like most large races you run into time issues.

I'm gonna go on a limb and say you don't race much, because I have yet to see many races with 15 minute d-z mains..lol

Never hurts though man...for sure.

Manf. Cup...those guys did a great job. Whats the deal on it? Why did it not come back.I heard rumours that the place was hard to deal with.

We got some different things going on with the shootout as well...
Well, I've yet to see big races with 15 minute lower mains either. You asked what I would LIKE, not what I've seen in the past.

How much do I race... hmmm... for "bigger" events I've made all of the RC Pro regional events this year... (in the South region, that is) and will be at the finals. 1 state series race, the "March Meltdown" at Indy and "The Final Lap" at JCG. Club races, once or twice a month. Sometimes none, sometimes every week. It just depends.

Amount of time it adds: Let's take a hypothetical 200-entry cutoff... and say they're only running 4 classes (2 buggy 2 truggy) We're only talking about changing times on roughly 12 mains. 12 x 5 = 60 minutes. Yes, it runs the program an hour later. A couple of the longer mains are usually 45 minutes- why? Granted, I enjoy watching the pros duke it out... but which one sounds more like a legitimate complaint: "Why is my main only 30 minutes instead of 45" or "Why is my main only 10 minutes instead of 15?" There's half the difference.

Want to save the other 30 minutes? Take out the re-sort.

How does this one sound: "You need to run a short main so I don't have to stay late when I run my long one?" (Essentially that is what we're told, right?)

I "suggest" 30 minute A, 20 minute B, 15 minutes C and below. Not everyone is going to agree with this... and I'm not the race organizer, I don't make those decisions. Again, the question was asked, so there are my thoughts on it. Frankly I think a lot of newer racers are discouraged from participating for this reason.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.

Last edited by DOMIT; 10-20-2009 at 04:36 AM.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:57 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfleck View Post
I'd drive a good distance for a race like that and mind you I live in Texas. In other words if it were in Alabama, no problem. $70 is actually a good deal for an event such as that. No corner marshalling. Are we in heaven???
ALABAMA? That's a serious road trip! How about Denver, Kansas City, or St. Louis? (all about the same distance!)
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:02 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Domit, thanks for all the input...it for sure makes some sense

Bren, it's gonna happen. Check out the racing thread for the 2010 Alabama manf. Shootout race. Place is booked and the sponsor list is already very long!
Old 10-20-2009, 05:59 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

I could honestly care less about going to a race just because it pays a good purse. If they're paying great, but I don't go just because of it. Heck even for club races I could care less if I get a plaque or GC or whatever, I just want to not be frustrated by the program and I'm happy. Here is why I chose to go somewhere for a second time (hard to judge a race by the first annual).

1.) Quality of the program. Start when you say you're going to start, if warm up is 3 minutes, obey 3 minutes, not keep giving guys extra time. Just because we are all staying at hotels and not going home, doesn't mean we have to be there all night. Run the race like you have a curfew. It urks me at races when the word "around" is used. No need for "we're going to start around 9:00 or so". No, start AT 9:00. Simple task that makes the show look more professional not like a few guys ust decided to entertain alot of people with a race.
2.) A dedicated hired race director. They don't have to scream and get excited, just call important info, race on the track, how long to go, call LEADERS and times, call traffic for leaders, announce more than just the leaders lap times. I can't stand when I go to a sheet and the top 4 guys were 2 secs from each other, but you would think third place was a lap down because his name was never called. If you are in a close race, you'd like to know.
3.) Quality of the track, was it fun, was it overdone, could you RACE on it or was it a wait for a mistake track. Was the track maintained through the race as advertised. Not everyone has the luxury of bringing $1000 worth of tires, and on site shops at races have dwindled. You need to show up with the right tire. If you say you are running it dry and grooved, run it dry and grooved, if you say you are going to water, water.
4.) No bowling trophies. Sorry but any race I get a "trophy" at goes in the trash. Between little league, and everything else, who needs another brass plastic piece on the mantle?? Give unique prizes, stuff that I could display and people say "that's cool, you don't see that everyday".
Old 10-20-2009, 06:09 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Just found out these are the "trophies" for a race I'm going to this weekend. Once I saw these I had to try and go get one.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you pick what race you will go to?-trophies.jpg