Wiki Posts
Search

Start Box Motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Start Box Motor

I currently use the Losi box that comes with the 8ight 2.0B RTR to start my motor (Losi 350) and at my last race there was a weird occurance. All weekend the car wouldn't start until the motor was off the box. In other words, you would press down on the car and it would turn the motor over but when you pulled the trigger the motor wouldn't rev until you stopped pushing down on the box. It would fire up and be fine. It seemed that the start box motor wasn't turning fast enough. I use 2 stick packs and they have been fine in the past. I am wondering if the motor might be getting weak (this would happen on fully charged batts). Do you have to replace it with the same motor or would a larger motor fit in the box that might give it more power to turn the motor over faster?

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Does sound wierd. Is there any chance that you may be pushing down harder not allowing the flywheel to outrun the starter wheel.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Prophet

spray motor spray into the motors and hold the box at a angle to get the spray to come out of the motors ,my does that when they get dirty or they start to ark more,after that defiely should work fine,i have the old eight box i though it was my gel cell but it was something else check the connections also in the box
Old 10-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigde2001
Does sound wierd. Is there any chance that you may be pushing down harder not allowing the flywheel to outrun the starter wheel.
I was thinking the same thing.

A well tuned and broken in motor will only take a quick 'bump' on the box to get started. You shouldn't have to hold the flywheel against the box for more than a full second or two at a time.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by WingWrecker
I was thinking the same thing.

A well tuned and broken in motor will only take a quick 'bump' on the box to get started. You shouldn't have to hold the flywheel against the box for more than a full second or two at a time.

+1