Wiki Posts
Search

Info on Novarossi M12

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default Info on Novarossi M12

Hey guys, I acquired this engine from someone, I've done some research on it, it doesn't have the groove in the piston, so I'm assuming it's a MT-12? The engine looks new on the inside. It was mounted on a rustler, and I've traded the rustler and now have this. What would this engine be worth if selling it?
Old 10-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by boomgagem
Hey guys, I acquired this engine from someone, I've done some research on it, it doesn't have the groove in the piston, so I'm assuming it's a MT-12? The engine looks new on the inside. It was mounted on a rustler, and I've traded the rustler and now have this. What would this engine be worth if selling it?
if it is an mt 12 on one side of the case it should say nova the other side should have an M and a 12 on it and it will be a rear exhaust. Iv had 6 of them and i have not seen one without an oil groove in the piston.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Yeah it doesn't have that notch. Here is a pic of it. It was on a rustler, I put it in the for sale section for $65, is that a good price?

Old 10-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Tech Adept

you mite but in my neck of the woods 10th scale is about dead and you just about have to give the stuff away. the last one i bought i think i give $130.00 brand new.I dont know about the no oil groove in the piston all of mine has an oil groove it's not very deep. it kind of sounds like that maybe it has been resized a time or 2 and the oil groove may have just worn out of it I dont know.

Last edited by axle; 10-15-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Oh, no there is an oil groove. I was reading somewhere that there is a MT-12 and a MR-12 version, the MR has the slot in the piston, and the MT doesn't. I'm talking about the skirt that is on the intake side of the piston.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

No cut in the skirt = MT12
Cut skirt = MR12

The MR12 was an update on the MT12. They shortened the rod to increase crankcase compression. This required the sleeve to be lowered in the case and piston skirt to be clearanced on the crank side.

They are great motors but no longer competitive for TC onroad. You will have to find someone that still uses the motors for 1/10th offroad or dirt oval. They might pay a few bucks for it for parts.

If you don't sell it, save the carb. That carb works great on the modern Nova .12's which seem to have some carb issues. Except, that doesn't look like the original carb in the photo.