Wiki Posts
Search

Standard or turbo plug?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Standard or turbo plug?

I'm not really sure of the difference between a standard and a turbo plug engine. Would anyone be kind enough to fill me in on the differences, pros/cons, or preferences? Thanks.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Tech Adept

A turbo plug has a tapered base which seals into the head, removing the need for the copper washer.
Turbo plugs are said to work 10-15% better than standard plugs.

Taken from the [OS engines site......

Guideline 1: Know what type of engine you have. Is it a standard - or a turbo?

Standard engines (engines with a 1-piece head) are most common. Standard plugs are easily available, inexpensive and fit almost all standard engines. Standard plugs are installed with a washer, which creates a compression seal with the head.

Many new O.S. engines are turbo engines, which feature a special 2-piece turbo head. The biggest benefit of turbo plugs is superior performance. Unlike standard plugs, turbo plugs (identified by a "P" in the description) feature a tapered "seat" that matches perfectly with the head. That creates a superior compression seal and with it, maximum efficiency and power. Turbo plugs are the choice for racers who want - and need - top performance.

A word of caution: you should never install a turbo plug in a standard engine or vice versa. Doing so risks doing serious (and expensive!) damage.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Standard is the standard...

I like standard plugs because their 5 bucks as opposed to 10. It makes life simple to just put a medium mcoy mc 8 in and forget about it. turbo plug guys hunt for the right plug too much. IMO.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Great info, thanks Beddo and Merdith.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

The o'donnel plug is great to use as a turbo plug. They are $5.50. I always use the 1/10th scale one in OS motors they work great.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by awdcameolsx
The o'donnel plug is great to use as a turbo plug. They are $5.50. I always use the 1/10th scale one in OS motors they work great.
The Odonnel 77T?

The OS turbo plugs are great but are for OS&Ninja engines. P3 has to be one of the best plugs out there for shorter tracks and P4 for larger.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
The Odonnel 77T?

The OS turbo plugs are great but are for OS&Ninja engines. P3 has to be one of the best plugs out there for shorter tracks and P4 for larger.
Yes I just checked it the 77t. They lasted me as long as the p3's I used before that. Both my v-spec and speed ran a little better with the O'donnell plug. Can't say that it will be better for all engines but that is what I like to use. And the price just went down by a buck so $4.50 is at standard plug prices. I can't say anything about the p4 plug however I have never used it.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Turbo plugs generally last longer than standards as long as its tuned right