R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-13-2009, 03:27 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default ZX-1.5R vs MBX-6?

I was planning on buying a MBX-6 but I just stumbled upon casters ZX-1.5R and I was just curious as to what you guys thought about them both performance wise? I've read that people have said they are very similar but I was just wondering how similar and which would be the better bet? I'm thinking Mugen but i'm not quite sure?

Thanks for your help guys. If you've been paying attention this is like my 4th thread on this stuff haha, sorry about all the posts just trying to make sure i can get the most competitive nitro buggy for me to race with.

Thanks!
Mach Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:39 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I have never driven a caster buggy or truggy but I have seen some at the local track. I also see a bunch of DNF's from the caster line of cars. Mugen wont let you down and has better parts support.
awdcameolsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

You asked about performance so I am going to assume you plan to race. Does anyone at the track you plan to race at have a Caster? You should see what they are running at the track so you can get help on setup. Also, do your local hobby shops have parts for Caster? I know you can get it online, but it is always a nice option to be able to go to a hobby store on the way to the track to pick up any last minute items you may have forgotten.

I haven't mentioned Mugen only because they have a pretty good distribution channel. Anyways, make sure you can get local help/support for any car you decide to run. Just a thought.
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

caster=pinto mugen=porsche
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Mugen is a very prestigious brand.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

there's something more exciting about the Mugen compared to the Caster.

The turning radius on the caster is larger than the mugen (the knuckles allow more travel on the MBX6)
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you want to save some $$ and still be just as competitive with the Mugen, Losi, RC8 etc and just as reliable, go with the Caster 1.5R it is a extremely solid buggy and it and the Fusion (electric) version have proven themselves this past year and many races. The Mugen is a awesome buggy too, dont get me wrong, but dont take the cheaper price of the 1.5R as it being cheaper in quality because it is not. If you compared the ZX1-R to the MBX6 then I would say the 6 is definetly better but the 1.5R is truly a race ready buggy.

Also btw the 6 knuckles is NOT what gives it more of a steering radius, it is the lower arms that are thinner where the pillow balls screw in that allow the knuckle to turn more before it hits the lower arm but also can be a weak point being smaller in diameter during a hard hit. Which if your buggy is set up correctly you will not need 100%- 125% trim full steering and is only a 2 minute mod with a dremel on the Caster to achieve the same effect. I run 65% steering trim on my Caster and it will turn the same as any mugen or other brand.

As far as parts support goes, ANY of your LHS can sign up with Caster to be able to stock or order parts for you and they need no minumum order to do so.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to loopedout

I race a 1.5r and have never had a dnf. I love it, its up front everytime I race, but ill say the one or two guys that consistently finish ahead of me are just better drivers, im not lacking because of equipment, then theres the 30-50 drivers/cars that qualify and finish behind me lol. Buy the Caster and spend the money you save on track time
THD Custom R/C Products/Team Holy Rollers/Team Terribles
loopedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:15 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

The MBX-6 front arms do not break out at the end like the 5R did. It may be thinner out there but it is plenty strong with the washer setup on the pillowball. I think your biggest problem with the Caster (never having seen this version of it) will be the ability to get set up help at your local track.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:09 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Both are good platforms.The Mugen offers a little better quality.I have a Caster buggy and have never broken a single part but the driveline parts wear a little quicker than the Mugen.The Mugen will handle slightly better.If your a beginner you will probably not notice.The Mugen offers better front steering geometry and there metals are harder.Caster is currently taking applications for drivers of all skill levels.If you send them an ap they will probably hook you up.Not really a factory sponsorship but more of a discount club at the entry level that will save you lot's of loot.Caster driver support is really good and they constantly upgrade there kits to make them better.They also have a badass engine.....Don't be afraid of the Caster brand as it's better than 90% of whats available.Mugen however is at the top of the foodchain in my opinion.It does come with a heftier price though.Bottom line.If your looking to win the Worlds go with the Mugen.If your looking for a good solid race platform that won't let you down and wont kill your wallet.Get a Caster. Good luck.
pete 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I can't speak for the Caster car, but I can say that the Mugen will not let you down. The quality of the parts is superb and the on track performance is fantastic.

Good Luck,
Chris
Old 10-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have never driven the mbx6 but I have run the mbx5pro and the Caster 1.5r and the Caster seems to turn better and handle better than the Mugen. As far as support for Caster they have an excellent forum andthey will answer any question you have. Parts I have alway's had extra on hand just in case but never really needed to use them. The shipping is cheap and very fast with TO NOTCH Customer Service.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #13
Tech Adept

i think if you are trying to save cash you should look at the d8, if not then purchase the mugen. for the most part you get what you pay for. mugen, along with most of the other top names, is quality.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:08 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

finally getting my caster buggy soon will give a full report it's a 1.5r btw
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:16 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroLuver View Post
finally getting my caster buggy soon will give a full report it's a 1.5r btw
let us all know. I sold my ol' ZX1-R few weeks ago and in the midst of getting a new bug. Just aint sure it it's gonna be another caster (again )
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote