R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-15-2009, 07:24 AM   #16
Tech Addict

How come every time i have ever seen someone with a caster they are (sponsored by caster)Never seen some one just buy one.Why is that?Dont flame just asking.
BeefHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #17
Tech Regular

It's sort of a discount club at the entry level.Basically if you buy one and show interest in being on the team,have some skills and can behave yourself the owner will hook you up with a discount on parts and pretty much anything Caster USA imports.In exchange they get feedback from drivers of all skill levels.It's a pretty good deal. Thats not to say Caster doesn't have fast drivers.Some of those guys are really fast.It's a marketing strategy.Tamiya and several other companies do the same sort of thing.It gets the word out about there product and generates income for the company.Caster experienced growing pains just like alot of small companies.There products have come a long way in the last two years.If they see a problem they try to fix it....I use there engine in my Mugen.Hella motor for the price....I used to run for them...Good folks.
pete 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I ran a Caster for most of last summer without being a sponsored driver. It was a great vehicle and performed well. The only thing I ever broke was a fuel tank which is amazing given my current skill level.
rstnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #19
Tech Elite

It depends on which market you are in and the environment.

As you probably know, this particular forum is about 90% racers. Therefore it will be pretty rare that you find a basher on these forums. It is also a fact that the guys that are really into racing post a lot more than the ones who do not. It is also a fact that we have catered to the race community for several reasons that have been explained in the past and it is no secret that we asked for help and received it during 2009.

I personally think that the greatest thing that we did, but at the same time was the worst thing we did was to create our own forums. There are a lot of people over there and unfortunately, we lost a lot of internet presence because of it at other big forums.

I also want to mention that at one point we asked everyone to quit posting on this forum because there were several internet fights, etc.... and I felt that it was not good business for us to participate.

At this time, I do not believe anyone is unhappy with the Caster brand and I am happy to say that I am not afraid to sell Caster to anyone and I owe that to the team of last year. I also think that Pete is partially correct in saying that it was sort of a club because it appeared that we would accept anyone during the 2008 season. I had a valid reason for doing it and it was very successful for the purpose of the research I needed done outside of what we were capable of alone.

So, for 2009, we have acomplished what we wanted, we controlled growth, and we have moved the ball forward. 2010 will be a great year for us as the cogs are starting to move into the proper place.

I think that calling the Caster a Pinto is harsh and inaccurate, but it is an opinion.

I believe that when we took over, we were probably an Aveo, moved through Malibu and Impala and are now a solid new Camaro SS with the goal of being a Corvette. As a comparison, Mugen is a Toyota Supra.
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:35 PM   #20
Tech Addict

I know some guys that were sponsored by caster.The guys were and are fast.The guys I know deserved it and reped. your product well.I think its cool that caster has helped some of these racers get there first spons.But I have seen some on forums and at bigger races that perhaps should not have been.I know you have been working on your product quality for a while and that shows.Good luck caster 2010.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:14 AM   #21
Tech Apprentice

Hi,
Both my son and I have been racing just under 2 years, both started out with hyper 7s, my son then went to a Losi 8 and I had a nong nor x1, we race at club level and were having so many DNFs that we were both getting frustrated, alot of them were poor set up and maintenance being relatively new to racing although the Losi had continual rear diff failures, our averages lap times were about 1 minute for me and 55 secs for my son.
We both went to Caster having the zx 1.5 3 months ago, we both love the cars and have started getting both more lap times and finishing races, My sons average is now down to 43 second average and mine is down to 47 second average, although this is about 8 seconds off the best times at the club it is is a continual improvement with the more consistent cars giving more track time.
the only thing we have broken is a lower arm each and my son a pillow ball got bent, these were caused by our setting up the track width incorrectly and a post that wouldn't move, we find the cars easy to work on and easy to set up, the turning is fantastic, overall we are loving the cars and glad we switched to caster,
kevinjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:25 AM   #22
Tech Addict

I would like to see caster come out with a new buggy.There curent buggy is pretty much a mbx5 clone.Wich is not a bad thing.I think they are big enough now to design there own stuff now.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:59 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakmazter View Post
It depends on which market you are in and the environment.

As you probably know, this particular forum is about 90% racers. Therefore it will be pretty rare that you find a basher on these forums. It is also a fact that the guys that are really into racing post a lot more than the ones who do not. It is also a fact that we have catered to the race community for several reasons that have been explained in the past and it is no secret that we asked for help and received it during 2009.

I personally think that the greatest thing that we did, but at the same time was the worst thing we did was to create our own forums. There are a lot of people over there and unfortunately, we lost a lot of internet presence because of it at other big forums.

I also want to mention that at one point we asked everyone to quit posting on this forum because there were several internet fights, etc.... and I felt that it was not good business for us to participate.

At this time, I do not believe anyone is unhappy with the Caster brand and I am happy to say that I am not afraid to sell Caster to anyone and I owe that to the team of last year. I also think that Pete is partially correct in saying that it was sort of a club because it appeared that we would accept anyone during the 2008 season. I had a valid reason for doing it and it was very successful for the purpose of the research I needed done outside of what we were capable of alone.

So, for 2009, we have acomplished what we wanted, we controlled growth, and we have moved the ball forward. 2010 will be a great year for us as the cogs are starting to move into the proper place.

I think that calling the Caster a Pinto is harsh and inaccurate, but it is an opinion.

I believe that when we took over, we were probably an Aveo, moved through Malibu and Impala and are now a solid new Camaro SS with the goal of being a Corvette. As a comparison, Mugen is a Toyota Supra.
Does that mean your electric is like a Smartcar. LOL. Mugen =Lambourgini
Old 10-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete 26 View Post
Both are good platforms.The Mugen offers a little better quality.I have a Caster buggy and have never broken a single part but the driveline parts wear a little quicker than the Mugen.The Mugen will handle slightly better.If your a beginner you will probably not notice.The Mugen offers better front steering geometry and there metals are harder.Caster is currently taking applications for drivers of all skill levels.If you send them an ap they will probably hook you up.Not really a factory sponsorship but more of a discount club at the entry level that will save you lot's of loot.Caster driver support is really good and they constantly upgrade there kits to make them better.They also have a badass engine.....Don't be afraid of the Caster brand as it's better than 90% of whats available.Mugen however is at the top of the foodchain in my opinion.It does come with a heftier price though.Bottom line.If your looking to win the Worlds go with the Mugen.If your looking for a good solid race platform that won't let you down and wont kill your wallet.Get a Caster. Good luck.
+1
AKA, Proline, Hotbodies Rubber
Elite Performance - HORRC.com
j_blaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Soundstream

Well, After researching and thinking about it, I think caster is the way to go for me. Why? Quality wise I believe they are there, from what ive heard cust support is excellent, that means alot in my book, the company is wanting to grow, the correct way, as a previous buisness owner that strikes me well. Maybe there are a couple things that could be improved upon, but they will. The sponsorship thing sounds intreguing also......So where can I get one of these, buggy and truggy? Im gonna give it a try with an open mind.

A new team terribles member
Tamiya 801Xt, Robitronic Mantis, Robitronic Avid, Robitronic Scalpel, Robitronic Protos, Sportwerks Mayhem pro, HPI Nitro RS4 3 EVO+ RS4 Drift, HPI Micro RS4, Sportwerks recoil, Sportwerks Raven BX, Losi Aftershock, Losi NXT, Associated RC10R5, Associated NTC-3, Spektrum DX3R pro, Radiopost module system.
Soundstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefHead View Post
I would like to see caster come out with a new buggy.There curent buggy is pretty much a mbx5 clone.Wich is not a bad thing.I think they are big enough now to design there own stuff now.
It is very similar but you will be very surprised that is drives and handles NOTHING like a Mugen MBX5R. It is also alot lighter than the 5R.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:48 AM   #27
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_blaze14 View Post
+1
Mine is still going strong with the original rod, bearings and p/s.I have a second one for backup but I don't know if I'll ever get to use it.This thing won't quit.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:01 AM   #28
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default Mugen+++ Caster ---

Getting parts is the problem for Caster as for the way it handles i can't say. I have a friend that's was a full ride racer for Caster and when back to Losi with no support he said the car just wasn't race quality. As for Mugen the new six is a great product driver friendly and parts are at every track. The only thing i dislike about a Mugen it is still a true kit not one part is together,but thats ok you know your car when it hits the track.I have looked at stocking Caster at my track but i don,t think my driver's would use it.
Answer RC USA
Werks Racing
323 R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:05 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstnboy View Post
I ran a Caster for most of last summer without being a sponsored driver. It was a great vehicle and performed well. The only thing I ever broke was a fuel tank which is amazing given my current skill level.
You need to call Caster you call get a 35% ride easy and it looks like you can move up fairly fast.
Answer RC USA
Werks Racing
323 R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323 R/C Racing View Post
I have looked at stocking Caster at my track but i don,t think my driver's would use it.
That is the problem with LHS's. They dont want to try anything new. There stuck in the same old boring "horizon hobby" etc catalog like its the bible or something because they carry it. It's not like Caster makes you order a minimum order to sell there product. If you want to get 1 buggy and thats it then fine. How can you lose? You know it will sell. Whether how fast it sells is up to YOU. Keep it behind your counter and not up and easily visible or let customers know then it may take awhile. Do the opposite and it will be faster. A hobby shop is a "SALES" business after all, so SELL IT.

I am in no way taking a stab at you, just trying to open some people's eyes about new products regardless if it is TQ racing, SH Z-car, etc. There is a world OUTSIDE of what Horizon Hobby or other major distributors offer.