R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Clutch Shoe ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/335307-clutch-shoe.html)

Harold R 10-12-2009 10:35 PM

Clutch Shoe ?

I'm new to 1/8th scale. Still trying to learn. I think my clutch shoes are about worn out. I got my buggy used. Actually new/built but never ran. It has two aluminum shoes and two carbon. The aluminum look more worn than the carbon. How do I know for sure I got all I can get out of them. Is there a wear indicator I'm not seeing? Is there a mm measurement you guys go by? I hate to scrape them if I can get more out of them but I don't want to tear anything up by using them too long as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

AssocRacer 10-12-2009 10:39 PM

Go to a 3 shoe, 4 shoes are a BITCH. Plus, if you're new to 1/8th scale you'll wanna use carbon shoes. They make the clutch feel less grabby and the car will feel smoother on acceleration and not want to spin the tires as much, making the car easier to drive.

merdith6 10-12-2009 11:23 PM

Great advice associated guy

Seriously he is right. the three shoe flywheel is better and not too expensive. Depending on what car you have I like the mugen carbon clutch shoes they last a long time and I'm an expert racer and it's just better to run carbon shoes. the clutch bell will love you for it. I use kyosho 1.0 springs too they work great. As for the flywheel and clutch bell It just depends. You prob have a losi. I really don't know what will fit but i would say mugen is what some losi drivers use if I remember correctly, but yes the above guy said it perfectly. He's a smart guy.

inpuressa 10-13-2009 02:12 AM

out of curiosity, are all 3 piece clutch shoes/springs/flywheel/bell universal? Or are there certain combinations that just won't work?

Integra 10-13-2009 06:43 AM

3 shoe better then a 4 shoe...Lol....funny stuff. :lol:

hambone 10-13-2009 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 6467148)

Just what i was thinking. I use the answer-rc shoes on my losi and get great performance plus 3 gallons of hard racing. 4 shoe setup very good clutch as long as good shoes and proper springs are used. Your aluminum shoes are toast cuz they did all the work. If you use a hard shoe and spring it light they will last a long time and perform nicely.

Frank L 10-13-2009 07:01 AM

I like my 4 shoe losi cluch. I run 2 carbon shoes and 2 6061 (med) alum shoes with 4 green springs. It was very smooth. I might even try 2 green and 2 black to make it a little smoother. Basically the alum shoes grab harder and the carbon shoes are less graby. I started with all 4 alum and 2 green and 2 gold springs and the car would snap like a rubber band berry diffcult to control. In the buggy stick with lighter springs .9 or about that if it's a losi clutch then stick with green, gold or black. Black springs are the lightest and will make the clutch engage sooner, gold are the strongest of those and will make the engine spool up faster before it engages. On the losi system you want to get a set of calipers and measure from shoe to opposite shoe. When the measurement is 23.3 mm or less the shoes are down time to replace. I'll look for the picture it's posted on here somewhere. But that measurement is only for the losi syle clutch. I hope that helps

token 10-13-2009 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 6467148)

hahahahahahahaha, I run losi 4 shoe clutch with dyn max life shoes on both, I have ran all summer with the buggy and changed the truggy right before my last race.............

4 shoes more flexible, slip and grab, how hard it grabs or how much it slips can be determind, by shoes and spings

there is no common 3 shoe that does it as well as LOSI

tc5 man 10-13-2009 10:52 AM

frank l i know what u mean about if u use gold on the alum and green on the comps on the losi clutch it does snap like a rubber band and i notice wheelspin but it is smoother then silver and green or silver and gold ,so using green on the alum and black on the comp really smooth it out i run a 3 port nova .21 bf so its quite quick . what hardness is the dynamite alum shoes

Integra 10-13-2009 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by tc5 man (Post 6468103)
frank l i know what u mean about if u use gold on the alum and green on the comps on the losi clutch it does snap like a rubber band and i notice wheelspin but it is smoother then silver and green or silver and gold ,so using green on the alum and black on the comp really smooth it out i run a 3 port nova .21 bf so its quite quick . what hardness is the dynamite alum shoes

Dynamite's are a hard 7075 silicone impregnated aluminum.

crawldad91 10-13-2009 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by token (Post 6467275)
hahahahahahahaha, I run losi 4 shoe clutch with dyn max life shoes on both, I have ran all summer with the buggy and changed the truggy right before my last race.............

4 shoes more flexible, slip and grab, how hard it grabs or how much it slips can be determind, by shoes and spings

there is no common 3 shoe that does it as well as LOSI

enough said........:nod::nod::nod:

Frank L 10-13-2009 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 6468495)
Dynamite's are a hard 7075 silicone impregnated aluminum.

impregnated :weird: should have worn your jimmy hat hahaha

Joey Platinum 10-13-2009 05:14 PM

I have a hard enough time putting 3 shoes and springs on, Are the four shoe set-ups better??? I would probably give it a try if i thought I could actually install them.... BTW I use a sportwerks clutch spring tool and have an rc8 ft with a v-spec speed conv.

NitroOB4You 10-13-2009 05:18 PM

I've been running the M2C 4 shoe system for two full seasons now. No doubt in my mind, Mitch's set up is more easy and pain free to work with than any "normal" style 3 shoe system I have tried. My .02

tc5 man 10-13-2009 05:20 PM

yes the 4 shoe are better than 3 the downside it does cost more to maintain 4 shoes 4 springs, if your running a losi clutch run dynamite shoes with gold springs u could try green i havnt yet though on the 2 alum and on the carbon run green or black , i used silver and gold on the alum way to much punch and hit very hard with the setup inless u like that