Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maintenance Question Shocks & Diff Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Maintenance Question Shocks & Diff Oil

If this question has been asked before I apologize. I searched the forum but came up empty.

I'm certain that the questions below are elementary in nature.

Buggy: Losi 8ight 1.0 RTR

How often should the oil in your shocks be changed, if they do not appear to be leaking or low?

How often do shocks typically need to be rebuilt? I'm assuming when they start to leak, but not certain.

I am also assuming that the differential oils should be changed at regular intervals? How do you know when they require changing?

Some friends and I race on a dirt track every 2 to 3 weeks, and average about 1.5 to 2 hours of actual run time each time out.

Thanks for all the information
Old 10-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I usually change out the fluid in the shocks every 3 to 4 races. Diffs maybe every 6 to 8. Actually rebuilding the shock with new pistons, bladders, and o-rings around 3 months or so depending on how you drive and how much you drive. your pistons will develop a small amount of slop in them over time and make the dampening a little less inconsistant.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I rebuild my shocks every Gal and my diffs every 2 gal and new bearings in the hole buggy every 3 gal. And i might rebuild the hole buggy Shocks Diffs and Bearings if we have a big race coming up.

Last edited by thenova70ss; 10-12-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Tech Addict

also depends on the track, if its very rough the oil gets worked much harder and will benefit from changes more often to a degree the same goes for the diffs.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:23 AM
Tech Addict

Im from the UK the track I run on it pritty bumpy.. gives the shocks a real workout.. I normally change them ever 3-4 days of use.. Or before a big event.. But Im a club racer at the moment.. dont have the £ or time to travel far to race. -Yet!..
But I generally change shock oil after 3 or so days use.. or before a big event. Sometimes before a club meet.. if Im bored lol mainly for better piece of mind..
Diffs, I change maybe every 4-5 days use.. or again before a big meet. But generally check them after 2 days use... to see if they need changing, and that there working well.. not leaking.. sometimes top them up.. but thats me. Some change it after ever day.. some gallon or so.. I think alot depends on your budget and time.. Its a bit more £ changing after every day.. but the car will be very consistant.. being fresh oil each day.. but I think generally most change them after 3-4 days... but each to there own.. I guess..
Old 10-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I change the fluid in my shocks every 3 races including some practice run time. Works out to be about 3 hours of run time. I change my diff oils about every month and a half which is about 6 races. Again works out to be about 6 hours of run time. Usually I replace before hand because I got a big race coming up where I replace everything that has some wear. I replace the o-rings, bladders, etc every big race which usually is about every month. I replace bearings all the time. The ones in the carriers after every 1-2 runs. The diff bearings I replace every month usually before a big race. Bearings in the steering assembly can last a long time, I check them everytime I go through the truck and check them.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

I change my Shock Oils every 2 races, and change de Diffs Oils every 5 or 6 races..
Old 10-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the great information.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Tech Addict

I re-oil my shocks every 6 races, and diffs every 6 races...