Wiki Posts
Search

Speed / Novarossi Rod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

There are a few reasons Nova rods are expensive:

1. Nearly everything Nova makes is expensive. Yeah they do make some really cheap motors too but their top of the line stuff is all expensive.

2. Exchange rates.

3. I don't know what Italian labor rates are but I bet it's higher than Taiwan and maybe even Japan.

4. If you believe Nova's press, all their rods are checked for cracks and defects before they are shipped. This means you are paying for the expensive equipment to do the check, the labor and for all the defective ones that get thrown out.

5. Since Nova rods are the strongest on the planet (don't believe me, ask another experienced onroad racer) they obviously have some higher quality alloy they are using.

Of course, a lower quality Go rod is so cheap you could afford to replace it every race and still come out ahead.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Tech Lord

Oh, and as for Taiwan vs Italy on quality control believe me, Italy can make some real junk too. Just look at some of the old Fiats.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Not true of Taiwan. Taiwan is capable of manufacturing to as high a standard as anyplace, they make exaclty what their client approves. Similar in China, if you see something here in the US that is "cheap Chinese junk", it was likely designed, approved and purchased by an American.
In some sense you are right, Taiwan or any place in the world are capable of high standard "insert product here" but the reality is their QC sucks, 80% of things made there are copies like Go engines from Novarossi. IF people support these products to each it's own but the truth is that taiwanese products lacks QC and RnD..
Old 10-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wingracer
Oh, and as for Taiwan vs Italy on quality control believe me, Italy can make some real junk too. Just look at some of the old Fiats.
Don't forget the Nova line of off road engines in 2007/2008 (not all but some, flame out kings), Nova off raod 367 plus series of engines $400.00 USD of pure rubbish..
Old 10-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Jesussaves
Don't forget the Nova line of off road engines in 2007/2008 (not all but some, flame out kings), Nova off raod 367 plus series of engines $400.00 USD of pure rubbish..
Fortunately I missed out on those. Every Nova built motor I have ever had has been fantastic except for one garbage JP. And I might have screwed that one up.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Tech Champion

That why I went with RB in '08. Didn't really think about the NR/Rb connection......never had any problems really with the RB after a gallon.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

But ya know, even my little nova B21 is made surprisingly well at its price point.They took solid design, but did no turbo cutting, or porting and put quality parts in it. It would be hard to beat with anything in it range. It truly has nuts, OK not 700 engine nuts but very nice. LMAO and even it has a 54 dollar replacement rod.......
Old 10-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Tech Champion

That last few 1/8th track i've been to were tight and technical. 25-30mph tops. Slipperey to. Just don't need big power. My+4 is collecting dust. Running my N21b with a 9886 and 41020. Deos well enough. Its weird seeing people run OS speeds on a tight track.

I might try a simple Turbo cut on the crank of the N21b (similar to the +4's) and maybe spend some time and cut some "fangs" on the sleeve. Nothing too crazy. Winters long.....................got dremel? I wonder if a WS7III crank would fit? I got one of those..........

Shoot, the Crank alone on a speed costs more than a whole N21b!
Old 10-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
That last few 1/8th track i've been to were tight and technical. 25-30mph tops. Slipperey to. Just don't need big power. My+4 is collecting dust. Running my N21b with a 9886 and 41020. Deos well enough.

I might try a simple Turbo cut on the crank of the N21b (similar to the +4's) and maybe spend some time and cut some "fangs" on the sleeve. Nothing too crazy. Winters long.....................got dremel?

If your looking for more power, raise the exhaust port. That will really open her up on the top end. Just be careful to really de-bur the port and round the top really well to prevent scuffing the piston. A bit more crank timing wouldn't hurt either.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Tech Champion

Just open up bothe sides of the crank inlet? Or is there a side in particular?

I'm going to stay away from the inside of the sleeve until I get better at this.

That, and I kinda what to see what each cut or two deos at a time.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Tech Lord

I've never had a degree wheel on an N21 so I can't say for sure but most likely it could stand to open a bit sooner and stay open for while longer as well. Crank timing is kind of trial and error anyway until you find the combo you like. Just don't go more then 1.5mm or so on either side and you wont kill it but without more exhaust duration to go with it you may not see much of a gain. Then again, it make it SCREAM, haha
Old 10-14-2009, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I see that RB has an Asian factory manufacturing
the Killer9 engine for them. So far it looks like the
engine is getting good reviews.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
That last few 1/8th track i've been to were tight and technical. 25-30mph tops. Slipperey to. Just don't need big power. My+4 is collecting dust. Running my N21b with a 9886 and 41020. Deos well enough. Its weird seeing people run OS speeds on a tight track.

I might try a simple Turbo cut on the crank of the N21b (similar to the +4's) and maybe spend some time and cut some "fangs" on the sleeve. Nothing too crazy. Winters long.....................got dremel? I wonder if a WS7III crank would fit? I got one of those..........

Most Rb cranks are 13mm instead of 14. The crank pin on Rb's are slightly larger also, I have reamed out worn Nova rods to make a nice fit on a Rb.

Rex
Old 10-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks, looks like I'll be learning to mod N21b cranks this winter!
Old 10-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

i know quality is the only issue with motors in opinions os speed is expensive but well made and parts are little cheaper where nova top end motor +4 is cheaper purchase with more expensive parts os rods are good cranks on reg. vspecs is soft but new ones are better also. it is all in the maker anyone who has known nova for extremly tight motors would think os vzb are no good cause do not carry alot of pinch after a gallon but run well if kept up right. the new +4 is the same as nova no super tight pinch but still run very good both are great and any country japan italy tiawan can make good product if paid right prob. is stuff is made in some places to save on laber costs