Wiki Posts
Search

V-Spec Pro Mod or EBMod JX21???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gotspeed_2000
Hows about the stock JX but also purchase the TKO ceramic bearings for installation after break in?
you would want to break the engine in with the bearings.. bearings havta seat and break-in too..
Old 10-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpalessi
you would want to break the engine in with the bearings.. bearings havta seat and break-in too..
I would just want to break it in initially with the stock bearings, then toward the end of the break in put the ceramics in and let them finish off the break in. That way a little less load on the ceramics and hopefully a longer life with those little puppies in there.

I'm in the process of building the hybrid JX/Speed motor and will be initially doing the break in with the stock JX bearings. After a half gallon or so, I'm gonna switch it out to the TKO I have, and then finish off the break in with a few more tanks after the installation.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
Great engine but you will want the eb mods head button and hats 60 bucks so you might as well get the modded version it comes with the head button.
Does the EB mods version also come with TKO's? If so, that sounds pretty darn good.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

I would just want to break it in initially with the stock bearings, then toward the end of the break in put the ceramics in and let them finish off the break in. That way a little less load on the ceramics and hopefully a longer life with those little puppies in there.

I'm in the process of building the hybrid JX/Speed motor and will be initially doing the break in with the stock JX bearings. After a half gallon or so, I'm gonna switch it out to the TKO I have, and then finish off the break in with a few more tanks after the installation.
the engine is good to go after a quart.
Does the EB mods version also come with TKO's? If so, that sounds pretty darn good.
No tko's
Old 10-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

if i was a racer looking at the two, i would go with the EBJX hands down, the promod has no reworking of any of the internal part's, stock button, stock rod, stock block, speed crank with a single slug last time i looked, much more empahisis on creating power than just a milled head and the same crank used in 3 different motor's, the JX is flat out hard to beat.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I had nothing but bad luck with my V-Spec. Some of the posts here illustrate why I am frustrated with the V-Spec. It's a great motor...
  • if your crankcase doesn't crack
  • if your front bearing doesn't leak
  • if your crank pin doesn't go out of round
  • if you replace the head button for another $60
  • if you replace your bearings with ceramics for $50
  • if you replace your conrod after break-in
  • if you don't touch your mid-speed needle

All of these "issues" are quite common.

Yeah, lots of if's. Did I mention that I have seen 5 different "default needle settings" for the 21J carb that currently comes with the V-Spec, no one can seem to agree on the right settings.

Of course, you may have different luck. I know people who love the motor, and those that had nothing but issues.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr. Twister
if i was a racer looking at the two, i would go with the EBJX hands down, the promod has no reworking of any of the internal part's, stock button, stock rod, stock block, speed crank with a single slug last time i looked, much more empahisis on creating power than just a milled head and the same crank used in 3 different motor's, the JX is flat out hard to beat.
There it is spoken from an engine modder himself and hes telling you to buy the competition's engine not "get one of mine". I would take Brian's advice I have seen what he has done for a friend of mine and he knows his stuff. I think you have your answer Ninja.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Frank L
There it is spoken from an engine modder himself and hes telling you to buy the competition's engine not "get one of mine". I would take Brian's advice I have seen what he has done for a friend of mine and he knows his stuff. I think you have your answer Ninja.
+1 Stand up guy that Pro Twister..

really tho he's just tellin you the truth as he has no reason to lie, and I couldn't agree with him more.
If ceramic bearings is your concern just get TKO's they're only like $40 for the set...
Old 10-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

the stock ninja does not need any mods of any kind
Old 10-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony montana
the stock ninja does not need any mods of any kind
Some guys like modded engines some guys don't personally I do. I had mark at powerhouseperformancerc.com mod a couple grp's and they were like completly different engines. So to each his own.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HiVoltg12
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...n-Buggy-Engine

or

http://www.tonysscrews.com/product.s...&categoryId=74

Going in a RC8T. People I race with say to go with the V-Spec Pro Mod. They say it's smoother and easier to tune than a Ninja. I like that the Ninja is modded and broken in for $20 more than the V-Spec. No ceramic rear bearing though...

What do you think...Would the Ninja be better? I race on medium size tracks and I'm looking for good usable power throughout the rev range. I can't decide...
Hi,

Check out the JX21 thread. I'm offering FREE shipping on the EB Mod JX21-B01A engines I have left in stock (US only). If you are outside the US I'll discount the motor $10 USD.

Best regards,