Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Beginner problem, any help really appriciated. >

Beginner problem, any help really appriciated.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beginner problem, any help really appriciated.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Beginner problem, any help really appriciated.

Right, well I will start by trying to explain the problem - Please anyone who replys please take into account much of the slang/jargon you use is way over my head, please explain in idiot terms, I wont be offended.

Ok so down to my issue, since getting my Kyosho Inferno 7.5, I have only had it running a few times and it wasnt until I started watching videos on the net that I realised mine is slightly different (well actually I noticed the first time I used it that something wasnt right). Basically when I start up the car the wheels start spinning like the trigger is being held down (when its not). Now I understand that this is down to too much fuel in its 'idle' mode. As far as im aware the carb setting for idle is normally the same as when the brakes are applied, now I have fiddled with this to get that right. Now when I pull the trigger and release everything is fine and it sits back into the 'good' idle position, but the opposite affect happens when t he brake is applied, the carb sits half open thus meaning the car keeps on rolling on half speed meaning I'm actually controlling the car by letting off of the brakes (which I know aint right.) - It appears that the arm which pulls and pushes the cylinder inside the carb doesnt quite go back to its neutral position (i.e 1mm from fully closed.

My question really is, if you understand what I mean, How can I solve this (what appears to be a minor) problem?

Thanks again
Old 10-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you can start by checking the trim on your transmiter make sure the servo horn is centered properly then start checking your throttle linkage
Old 10-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If I understand correctly then it sounds like the return spring isnt bringing the carb slide back to idle. Is there a spring connected to the carb slide on one end and connected to the high speed needle on the other end? The throttle servo wont push the carb back to idle, there should be a spring that holds the carb shut and the throtlle servo pulls against it to open the carb.

Is this what you mean?

Originally Posted by biofish
Right, well I will start by trying to explain the problem - Please anyone who replys please take into account much of the slang/jargon you use is way over my head, please explain in idiot terms, I wont be offended.

Ok so down to my issue, since getting my Kyosho Inferno 7.5, I have only had it running a few times and it wasnt until I started watching videos on the net that I realised mine is slightly different (well actually I noticed the first time I used it that something wasnt right). Basically when I start up the car the wheels start spinning like the trigger is being held down (when its not). Now I understand that this is down to too much fuel in its 'idle' mode. As far as im aware the carb setting for idle is normally the same as when the brakes are applied, now I have fiddled with this to get that right. Now when I pull the trigger and release everything is fine and it sits back into the 'good' idle position, but the opposite affect happens when t he brake is applied, the carb sits half open thus meaning the car keeps on rolling on half speed meaning I'm actually controlling the car by letting off of the brakes (which I know aint right.) - It appears that the arm which pulls and pushes the cylinder inside the carb doesnt quite go back to its neutral position (i.e 1mm from fully closed.

My question really is, if you understand what I mean, How can I solve this (what appears to be a minor) problem?

Thanks again
Old 10-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by biofish

Thanks again

Sounds like a throttle trim setting. You need to back the throttle trim off until the throttle linkage holds the carb all the way shut but not too far as to apply the brakes. At this point the brakes might need to be adjusted so the car can coast with no input to the brakes or throttle, yet go when throttled and stop when the brakes are applied.

The engine should idle the same with brakes applied as well as with no trigger input.

If you need further help just PM me or email me at [email protected]

Jimmy
Old 10-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WingWrecker
If I understand correctly then it sounds like the return spring isnt bringing the carb slide back to idle. Is there a spring connected to the carb slide on one end and connected to the high speed needle on the other end? The throttle servo wont push the carb back to idle, there should be a spring that holds the carb shut and the throtlle servo pulls against it to open the carb.

Is this what you mean?
The servo most certainly should be returning the slide back to the closed position; it uses a small spring (similar to something you'd find in a pen) on the throttle arm vice the spring used to prevent runaways.

It sounds like you're setting the idle position while holding the brakes. I'd start by centering your throttle trims, pull the servo horn off, and re-apply so the carb is sitting in the idle position. Adjust the throttle and brake linkage from this point for fine tuning.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Adept

Attached Thumbnails Beginner problem, any help really appriciated.-31277-30l.jpg  
Old 10-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by madweazl
The servo most certainly should be returning the slide back to the closed position; it uses a small spring (similar to something you'd find in a pen) on the throttle arm vice the spring used to prevent runaways.

It sounds like you're setting the idle position while holding the brakes. I'd start by centering your throttle trims, pull the servo horn off, and re-apply so the carb is sitting in the idle position. Adjust the throttle and brake linkage from this point for fine tuning.
What's the point of the return spring?
Old 10-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Tech Adept

So the return spring around the carb is just there in case the arm pops off?
Old 10-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by WingWrecker
There it is!
Old 10-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
There it is!
There what is?

I deleted my post because I second guessed myself and didnt want to provide bad info.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I personally can't exactly pinpoint what your problem might be. If you got it from a local hobby shop possibly bring it in to the shop and see if the owner or someone knowledgeable can help you. Another great option is show up really early at a local track (if one is near you) and show up to race for the day. Talk to some of the local guys because in the RC community there are a TON of helpful people who will take time to help out somebody. Maby even sighn up for racing for the day and see how you like it.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

Your servo is not centering , maybe the plastic arm ( horn) has been off and not centered on the splines in such a position as to let the throttle rest(Clocked).
Old 10-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Regular

Disconnect all linkages, zeroize your servos and place all trim settings to zero. Reconnect your linkages where your servo arm is pushing your carb in and applying the brakes adjust for your driving after. I do this everytime and seems to work. my 2.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Adept

i know this is off subject but i would put a zip tie around filter boot and carb.hope to save u the same mistake i made when i started out
Old 10-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

so you got it fixed then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.