Wiki Posts
Search

Pro Driver Seminar

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Pro Driver Seminar

I have a Question. Would you guys pay for a race day with a pro driver to have a seminar on setting up a car,maybe drive his car, him talking about driving the track the whole nine yards. If you would what do you think it would be worth. The track would also have a race day.

Open for suggestions.

Last edited by PUDDIN; 10-08-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by PUDDIN
I have a Question. Would you guys pay for a race day with a pro driver to have a seminar on setting up a car,maybe drive his car, him talking about driving the track the whole nine yards. If you would what do you think it would be worth. The track would also have a race day.

Open for suggestions.

Matthew,

We've done two already. Though "I" was the Pro driver. We are looking to do more starting early next year with a different pro driver at each one. (hopefully)

We've done one for electric on-road and one for nitro off-road.

Jimmy Wright
Old 10-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Tech Addict

email me with some of your details for what you guys do. If your in Cali its a lot easier there. Then in Louisiana
Old 10-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nope. I wouldn't pay for that. My guess is that the current pros did not pay the pros of yesteryear to teach them how to drive. Therefore, it is not a necessary step in becoming that fast. Besides, most of the people that are that fast are almost definitely naturally predisposed to being that fast.

That's my opinion and why I wouldn't. If I were at the track and asked for or was offered advice from a pro, then you're damn right I'm going to take it. But I'm not going to pay for it.

If for instance, I buy several brand X motors, I am effectively assisting in paying the salary and expenses of a brand X driver. I am a customer of brand X. That should be enough for a brand X driver to answer my question or offer me advice, should it not?

Is it not a huge part of a pro driver's job to provide customer service in the field? That is a question, rather than a statement. I don't want to sound smug, I'm honestly curious.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Puddin, although I generally help anyone at a race for nothing I have done days that I am not racing....

In the case I have made about $100. I go to the track with a driver, pit for him(he is racing), mechanic, show him the lines, tune, etc...

I charge because I leave my family for a day, give him my 100% attention, and even play full time pit guy for the day. I take 10 hours out of a day that I may be working or doing family stuff.

It's usually very helpfull for someone new to do this as they see how someone like myself does it, prepares, etc...

Some guys won't pay one cent like mentioned above. Some will. Usually the ones who are eager to learn quick will use something like that once or twice.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ABURTON
Puddin, although I generally help anyone at a race for nothing I have done days that I am not racing....

In the case I have made about $100. I go to the track with a driver, pit for him(he is racing), mechanic, show him the lines, tune, etc...

I charge because I leave my family for a day, give him my 100% attention, and even play full time pit guy for the day. I take 10 hours out of a day that I may be working or doing family stuff.

It's usually very helpfull for someone new to do this as they see how someone like myself does it, prepares, etc...

Some guys won't pay one cent like mentioned above. Some will. Usually the ones who are eager to learn quick will use something like that once or twice.
+100% Alan
Old 10-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

I used to play Paintball for Palm Beach Vipers, and we would hold clinics like this all the time, different fields. We would go over different drills that we would do, go over proper ways to play a certain bunker/position. Go out and play with guys and show them how to communicate properly. Play all day and we would charge 75 a head to attend. Not bad when you consider a day at a paintball park with all day air, and a case of paint will generally run you 50-60 bucks, and our price included the paint and air fees also.

I think it is a great idea, but I dont know how well it will go over. For me I wouldn't because in my state series I have the luxury of racing with JR Mitch, Ryan Eckert, Billy Easton, Jason Ruona, and so on, so I have plenty of pros to reference with. OR if I need too, I'll just bug Jimmy Wright, and Alan Burton for free.

-Brandon
Old 10-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Semple
Nope. I wouldn't pay for that. My guess is that the current pros did not pay the pros of yesteryear to teach them how to drive. Therefore, it is not a necessary step in becoming that fast. Besides, most of the people that are that fast are almost definitely naturally predisposed to being that fast.

That's my opinion and why I wouldn't. If I were at the track and asked for or was offered advice from a pro, then you're damn right I'm going to take it. But I'm not going to pay for it.

If for instance, I buy several brand X motors, I am effectively assisting in paying the salary and expenses of a brand X driver. I am a customer of brand X. That should be enough for a brand X driver to answer my question or offer me advice, should it not?

Is it not a huge part of a pro driver's job to provide customer service in the field? That is a question, rather than a statement. I don't want to sound smug, I'm honestly curious.
No problem with that thinking. My seminars/track days have not been about making money or trying to teach the fast guys how to go faster.

We teach those who are getting into racing or maybe still a sportsamn and not getting faster how to proceed.

Did we charge for it? Yes we did. $20 per entrant (some where Father/son = same $20)

This accomplished a few things; It paid the track owner for use of the track, paid for the lunch (pizza, snacks and sodas) and most importantly weeded out the serious people from the people who "promise" they will be there.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ABURTON

And well worth it in my opinion. A pro can show you how a specific change is going to affect your vehicle in theory and on the track in real time. The chances of you retaining this knowledge is greatly enhanced when coming from a human teacher vice something you read on the net. This person can also watch your style and either tune the vehicle to suit your style or re ommend changes to your driving style (usually the better choice). This saves the customer a lot of frustration in many cases. It will build trust and confidence in the drivers abilities and builds a relationship between the customer and rep from the company.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Euro Stealth
I used to play Paintball for Palm Beach Vipers, and we would hold clinics like this all the time, different fields. We would go over different drills that we would do, go over proper ways to play a certain bunker/position. Go out and play with guys and show them how to communicate properly. Play all day and we would charge 75 a head to attend. Not bad when you consider a day at a paintball park with all day air, and a case of paint will generally run you 50-60 bucks, and our price included the paint and air fees also.

I think it is a great idea, but I dont know how well it will go over. For me I wouldn't because in my state series I have the luxury of racing with JR Mitch, Ryan Eckert, Billy Easton, Jason Ruona, and so on, so I have plenty of pros to reference with. OR if I need too, I'll just bug Jimmy Wright, and Alan Burton for free.

-Brandon
He's all yours Alan!!
Old 10-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by madweazl
And well worth it in my opinion. A pro can show you how a specific change is going to affect your vehicle in theory and on the track in real time. The chances of you retaining this knowledge is greatly enhanced when coming from a human teacher vice something you read on the net. This person can also watch your style and either tune the vehicle to suit your style or re ommend changes to your driving style (usually the better choice). This saves the customer a lot of frustration in many cases. It will build trust and confidence in the drivers abilities and builds a relationship between the customer and rep from the company.
And if I'm not mistaken you received some help from us (Chris Vierra) at ARC no?
Old 10-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
He's all yours Alan!!
BOOOOO! See if I go and tell Garlitts you said hi now!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Euro Stealth
BOOOOO! See if I go and tell Garlitts you said hi now!!!

You know I'm yanking your chain!

I wanna see "Big" run his new Challenger Drag Pak car!
Old 10-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

lol...
Old 10-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Tech Addict

Ok I guess What I was trying to say is if we had a club race and before that club race let's say Adam Drake was there and had a seminar on all areas of racing and then have a race would you pay 40.00 dollars for the day. Starts at 10am til 3 or 4 then we race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.