Wiki Posts
Search

Engine bearing replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Engine bearing replacement question

Is it possible to only change the front engine bearing using the oven treatment method?
I’m pretty sure the rear bearing on the engine is still good.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Yes when you heat it up to put the new front bearing in, just re-insert the old rear one..Kinda silly though, spend the extra $20 and replace both Omar..dont take the chance. Usually both TKO's are $35 for most engines
Old 06-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Yes when you heat it up to put the new front bearing in, just re-insert the old rear one..Kinda silly though, spend the extra $20 and replace both Omar..dont take the chance. Usually both TKO's are $35 for most engines
+1

Even if you "think" the rear bearing is good, it is worth changing it to a ceramic.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ya
i have new front and rear bearings, the rear one thats in there is ceramic and the new rear bearing is also ceramic. I just thought I'd save a few$$ by just replacing the front bearings.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Lord

If you are sure the rear bearing is good then just change the front. the heat wont hurt it..just stay under 300 degrees
Old 06-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

If you heat that engne up in the ovenxhances are that rear bearing will more than likely fall right out. GRP engine tool is all I need to say. If the rear bearing is good then yes just replace the front.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Frank L
If you heat that engne up in the ovenxhances are that rear bearing will more than likely fall right out. GRP engine tool is all I need to say. If the rear bearing is good then yes just replace the front.
you will have to remove the rear bearing in order to get the front one out Frank, so even if it dont fall right out, He would still need to remove it, before he can swap out the front one. the front bearing will not fit through the hole in the rear bearing
Old 06-18-2009, 02:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

you will have to remove the rear bearing in order to get the front one out Frank, so even if it dont fall right out, He would still need to remove it, before he can swap out the front one. the front bearing will not fit through the hole in the rear bearing
what are you talkin about james? you put the front bearing in thru the front, not thru the rear hole.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have used heat to remove the bearings several times and taken the font out without removing the rear. Am I missing something??
Old 06-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Tech Lord

I"ve only had to do it twice, and both times after I heated I tapped the whole case on the counter and both bearings fell out the back.. I never realized you could take the front out only with a heat gun through the front...I learned something today..That's why I love this site! Thanks guys
Old 10-09-2009, 12:32 AM
dlb
Tech Initiate

Is it a bad idea to put some afterrun oil to help the new bearing to fall in place?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Suspended

I"ve only had to do it twice, and both times after I heated I tapped the whole case on the counter and both bearings fell out the back.. I never realized you could take the front out only with a heat gun through the front...I learned something today..That's why I love this site! Thanks guys
That's impossible, you must be joking !.
The front bearing has a O.D. of 19mm,whereas the hole of the cranckcase for the crankshaft to go through from the rear bearing to the front bearing is only 15mm. Therefore, the front bearing can only fall out to the front.