R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default D8 & D8T vs. MBX-6 & MBX-6T

Hello all, I'm thinking about getting a nitro buggy, and a little later on down the line getting a nitro truggy. I've narrowed it down to Hot Bodies, or Mugen as of now. I wanna keep both with the same brand however. I'm just curious though, in everyone's opinion what "set" of the buggy and truggy from each manufacturer seem to be rated highest? Mugens MBX-6 and MBX6-T, or HB D8 and D8T? Or is it pretty much just a personal preference and they both perform the same?

I'll be new to nitro, but I do plan on racing them (i'll be new to racing too).

Parts availability isn't a problem as I'd probably order everything on-line anyways.

Thanks everyone!
Mach Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Most replies you get will be one sided. I have driven ofna, x-ray, mugen, hot bodies, and losi. I have not found one that is better in every way. Each has a down fall in different areas and each is better in some way. My advise is to go to the track and check out different rigs, drive a few if they will allow you and pick which one has the cool factor for you. One may say this is so much smoother than that, or this is more forgiving or ect. Most of the time it comes down to setup and setup alone. All this main stream buggies are good and durable. Our track has mugens, losi's, d8's, and x-rays. They all rip......
say it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by say it View Post
Most replies you get will be one sided. I have driven ofna, x-ray, mugen, hot bodies, and losi. I have not found one that is better in every way. Each has a down fall in different areas and each is better in some way. My advise is to go to the track and check out different rigs, drive a few if they will allow you and pick which one has the cool factor for you. One may say this is so much smoother than that, or this is more forgiving or ect. Most of the time it comes down to setup and setup alone. All this main stream buggies are good and durable. Our track has mugens, losi's, d8's, and x-rays. They all rip......
Well said. . . As a user of HB off road vehicles, I like them, but I have to say the Mugen's are really good too. I don't think you can go wrong with either one especially as a new racer. They are both great vehicles and have very common designs. I do have to say that the Mugen seems to me to have a slight edge. It's in the small details of the kit. The ability to easily use Lipo receiver packs without modifications, and is slightly better in design inregards to reliability.
I wish the D8/D8T had a little bigger battery box so that it would accomodate a wider range of LIPO battery packs, the rear drive shaft would be longer without the need of the extention, and the front center drive shaft being more reliable. I also had some issues with the drive shafts in the corners, but HPI/HB took care of them right away. Customer service wise, HPI/HB is hard to beat.
Each vehicle is capable, but it really depends on what you want. Good luck.
HB D8T with BCE Chassis, ACE Shock towers and motor mounts, M2C Rear Suspension system, KH front steering plate and chassis braces, Lunsford Ti-turnbuckles & hinge pins, OS Speed motor, Hitec 5995TG steering, Futaba 9351 throttle/brake, OS 2060 pipe, and J concepts Punisher Body.
HB D8: CEO Mods Novarossi P5K with JP4 tuned pipe, JR 9000T steering, JR 8800T throttle.
gotspeed_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
Tech Master

Pick the set that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. I'm not kidding.
They both run equally well, no matter what people say.

Front center drive shaft is not a problem if you build it right (locktite ) and doesn't wear out any more than the equally extreme angle of the losi.

My D8 has broken a grand total of 4 times since november of last year. Once with a failed back flip

They're both great combos.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Just to throw two more into the mix what about the FT RC8B kit and FT RC8T kit? And the XRay buggy and truggy? Or once again are they all great machines lol?

I know this question is asked too often like "what car to buy?" but I just wanna make sure I dont buy the wrong one for me =/. So sorry this question is being asked yet again haha.

Last edited by Mach Nine; 10-08-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you can go out and look at the car in person. I am still running a 8t 1.0 and have no problems with it. I am gonna be getting a kyosho buggy next week. I have drivin one and liked it so i'm gonna get it. Try different ones see which one you like. Another thing to look at is local parts support.
DezSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

You say you're new to nitro. Are you new to off-road? New to R/C?

If you're new to Offroad get the toughest Jammin X2 buggy and truggy. I know Jammins wear well and super tough with crashes but is a very competitve setup you can easily win with. Mugen, Losi, D8 break more easily. The X6 buggy and truggy are awesome since that what I drive but needs a experienced driver that doesn't crash too hard or it'll break. I saw the d8's breaking also. Xrays have crap bearing around the diffs. that makes for a maintenance nightmare. Team associated has the front shocks mount too far out on the front swing arm due to its extreme shock angle making bending shock shafts a regular occurance when you run into things with the front tires. Losi wears real fast. I have had all of the above except Losi within the last 3 years.

If you are not new to offroad get a Mugen. High quality parts, handle well, light weight, wears well, and requires less maintenance. I had the X6 buggy last sept., bought a D8 in Oct. and sold the D8 after I built it. The parts were cheap with lots of stamped Al, didn't like the minimal suspension travel, and it had a 5mm solid chassis making it weigh like 10lbs. I hear it wears fast
Toycar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toycar5 View Post
You say you're new to nitro. Are you new to off-road? New to R/C?

If you're new to Offroad get the toughest Jammin X2 buggy and truggy. I know Jammins wear well and super tough with crashes but is a very competitve setup you can easily win with. Mugen, Losi, D8 break more easily. The X6 buggy and truggy are awesome since that what I drive but needs a experienced driver that doesn't crash too hard or it'll break. I saw the d8's breaking also. Xrays have crap bearing around the diffs. that makes for a maintenance nightmare. Team associated has the front shocks mount too far out on the front swing arm due to its extreme shock angle making bending shock shafts a regular occurance when you run into things with the front tires. Losi wears real fast. I have had all of the above except Losi within the last 3 years.

If you are not new to offroad get a Mugen. High quality parts, handle well, light weight, wears well, and requires less maintenance. I had the X6 buggy last sept., bought a D8 in Oct. and sold the D8 after I built it. The parts were cheap with lots of stamped Al, didn't like the minimal suspension travel, and it had a 5mm solid chassis making it weigh like 10lbs. I hear it wears fast
Dont beleave the bs about the d8 this guy is telln u.The d8 is a good cheap$ car that handles great.Ive been racn a long time and always ran mugen and xray and thought u had to run those high dollar cars to be fast.NOT true!The d8 can and does run with the big money cars.In fact i am faster with this car than i ever have been.This car is a little heaver but it just works out of the box no hopups needed very easy to set up.The lighter cars are harder for noobs to drive.The quality of this car is great.Is it xray or mugen quality no.I have not broke a single part on this all year. But I do maintain my cars.The minimal travel on this does not seem to affect its handling.The chassis on this car is 4mm. BTW.Alot of people think you need a 500$ car and 400$ + engine to hang.I smoke guys all the time with heavy slow crappy quality d8.I love mugen and xray they are the best quality out there thats a fact.Guys flame the d8 all the time cause its cheap.You said you were new to this so save some $ and get a d8.Ive seen lots of people get in this and find out its not for them.Also what are people running at your track.It can be hard for a new person to set up a car that no one else at there track is running.Wish i had the money to build a car and never put it on the track and decide its crap and get rid of it.

Last edited by BeefHead; 10-08-2009 at 11:09 PM.
BeefHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mrbusta Send a message via Skype™ to mrbusta
Default hey

to be honest u really need to drive the truck or buggy and see what ya think ur driving style may not suit what my driving suits losi truggy handle super well but if i push to hard i can get it to sideways but someone that can drive a twitchy car would really like that

RIP BUSTA BB ANGEL
mrbusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:14 PM   #10
Tech Addict

I also like the D8 and haven't had any problems with any real wear issues. The buggy and truggy are built well enough and they perform beyond the price tag. My buggy has held up really well and although I bought two buggy kits, I have yet to replace parts on the buggy. I just rebuilt my truggy with a whole bunch of hopups to increase performance even more. The upgrades for the most part aren't really needed, but I wanted to have them. Either way, the D8's are good vehicles to have.
HB D8T with BCE Chassis, ACE Shock towers and motor mounts, M2C Rear Suspension system, KH front steering plate and chassis braces, Lunsford Ti-turnbuckles & hinge pins, OS Speed motor, Hitec 5995TG steering, Futaba 9351 throttle/brake, OS 2060 pipe, and J concepts Punisher Body.
HB D8: CEO Mods Novarossi P5K with JP4 tuned pipe, JR 9000T steering, JR 8800T throttle.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #11
Tech Adept

I'm not really new to off-road or rc actually, i had a XXX-NT a long time ago but i kinda... Lost it in my basement haha. I didnt really learn about the engine i just tuned it so it ran and left it at that.

That's what makes this so hard haha, I can't test drive any around where I live so i have to just pull the trigger and choose one . The racing season is over for my local track and it's getting kinda cold so if i wanted to test drive any id have to hunt down people with each one and ask them to meet me at the track .
Old 10-08-2009, 11:21 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mrbusta Send a message via Skype™ to mrbusta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach Nine View Post
I'm not really new to off-road or rc actually, i had a XXX-NT a long time ago but i kinda... Lost it in my basement haha. I didnt really learn about the engine i just tuned it so it ran and left it at that.

That's what makes this so hard haha, I can't test drive any around where I live so i have to just pull the trigger and choose one . The racing season is over for my local track and it's getting kinda cold so if i wanted to test drive any id have to hunt down people with each one and ask them to meet me at the track .
yea mate i know its hard i found the mbx6 and 6t bullet proof and the buggy finds it feet well but can be twitchy
the truggy is of the newer breed and u may find it twitchy the losi is twitchy u sought of need good grasp to drive the losi my opion the d8 that i know of are having all soughts of cv pin dramas but im aware they can sought them the truggy sorry dude cant help ya with the d8t only know 1 guy and havent seen any issues but havent really had chance to suss it out to be fair if the seasons over and its cold hold off and wait there maybe newer version wen seasons back on and they maybe better again

RIP BUSTA BB ANGEL
mrbusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:24 PM   #13
Tech Addict

I will add that the d8 is planted and very easy to get fast with.It has less adjustments to get lost in.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:29 PM   #14
Tech Addict

I agree with the issues with some of the drive shafts. I've had two break on me in one weekend of racing. Some people have issue with the shafts, other don't. I haven't had the drive shaft issue with my buggy, so the problem to me seems to be more with the additional stress of the longer shaft and heavier tire. I bit of grease to help lubricate it seems to help though, but I'm not sure that will entirely solve the possible problems. I've seen the losi 2.0's in action and have to say they are awesome vehicles as well as the mugens too.
Without the ability to drive and see which one you like, I'd look at the design features of each and figure for yourself which one you think is better. Everyone is going to have an opinion on which vehicle is better, but it's a matter of personal choice nowadays since so much of the vehicles are close in performance capability. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:50 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotspeed_2000 View Post
I agree with the issues with some of the drive shafts. I've had two break on me in one weekend of racing. Some people have issue with the shafts, other don't. I haven't had the drive shaft issue with my buggy, so the problem to me seems to be more with the additional stress of the longer shaft and heavier tire. I bit of grease to help lubricate it seems to help though, but I'm not sure that will entirely solve the possible problems. I've seen the losi 2.0's in action and have to say they are awesome vehicles as well as the mugens too.
Without the ability to drive and see which one you like, I'd look at the design features of each and figure for yourself which one you think is better. Everyone is going to have an opinion on which vehicle is better, but it's a matter of personal choice nowadays since so much of the vehicles are close in performance capability. Good luck.
+1 So many good cars.Its nice to have so many choices.