Community
Wiki Posts
Search

D8 & D8T vs. MBX-6 & MBX-6T

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Tech Adept

I could post this in the MBX-6 forums but I'm gonna post it in here instead:

If I were to go with the Mugen, what is the difference between the race roller and just the normal unassembled one? Just that its assembled and comes with tires and a trimmed body?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yup, it's never been better to be racing 1/8th scale buggies or truggies. Remember when the super athlete and the kyosho Mp series were the buggies to have. The kits cost over 500 alone and then you had spend a bunch on upgrades like cvd's for the rear and the center, upgrades to the suspension mounts, etc. You'd spend almost as much on upgrades to get the vehicle really race ready. Nowadays you dont' even have to come close to that cause most race level kits are ready with very few if any required upgrades. This is true for almost all the top level kits made by the different companies.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Mach Nine
I could post this in the MBX-6 forums but I'm gonna post it in here instead:

If I were to go with the Mugen, what is the difference between the race roller and just the normal unassembled one? Just that its assembled and comes with tires and a trimmed body?
I cant answer but you cant go wrong with the mbx6.I raced mugens for 8 years and they very nice cars.If you buy a mbx6 you will not be sorry.They are worth the extra money.Some cars on the market are not.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Tech Adept

I have yet to hear one bad thing about a Mugen so I actually think I'm gonna go for that one. Now to just decide if i want the race roller or to build my own .

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 10-09-2009, 04:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i have run ofna, ae and mugen and the mugen has been the best to drive by far, the ae was fast but not as nice to drive as it was always a bit skitty. the mugen are always planted and the quality is one of the best on the market. i must say but that i have raced against hbt and they hold their own on the track speed wise but can not comment on reliablity, if it was me spend a bit more and get the better quality of the mugen and the building of the kits is the way to go as you learn the truck for when something does go wrong you know exactly how to fix it ...my 2 cents
Old 10-09-2009, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The springs (one step softer) and pre-glued vs unassembled tires are the only difference between the M-spec and standard MBX6 kit. The standard kit usually does come with tires although A-main had some without for a while for less money.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mach Nine
I have yet to hear one bad thing about a Mugen so I actually think I'm gonna go for that one. Now to just decide if i want the race roller or to build my own .

Thanks for your help guys!
Go with the mugen for sure. As for prebuilt or not. I say go with the Kit, this way you know everything about the car and can be sure of the build quality, ie, diff fluids, locktite ect.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Toycar5
You say you're new to nitro. Are you new to off-road? New to R/C?

If you're new to Offroad get the toughest Jammin X2 buggy and truggy. I know Jammins wear well and super tough with crashes but is a very competitve setup you can easily win with. Mugen, Losi, D8 break more easily. The X6 buggy and truggy are awesome since that what I drive but needs a experienced driver that doesn't crash too hard or it'll break. I saw the d8's breaking also. Xrays have crap bearing around the diffs. that makes for a maintenance nightmare. Team associated has the front shocks mount too far out on the front swing arm due to its extreme shock angle making bending shock shafts a regular occurance when you run into things with the front tires. Losi wears real fast. I have had all of the above except Losi within the last 3 years.

If you are not new to offroad get a Mugen. High quality parts, handle well, light weight, wears well, and requires less maintenance. I had the X6 buggy last sept., bought a D8 in Oct. and sold the D8 after I built it. The parts were cheap with lots of stamped Al, didn't like the minimal suspension travel, and it had a 5mm solid chassis making it weigh like 10lbs. I hear it wears fast
ok, just a little fact check on this obviously biased post.

the only pieces that are stamped on the d8 is the chassis and the ackerman plate. shock towers, motor mounts, and pivot blocks are all CNC. long shocks are an option, but i prefer the short shocks unless the track is really blown out. the chassis is only 4mm, and the car doesnt weight 10 pounds. mine in completely stock trim is about 250g heavier than a losi. thats about a half a pound

any major brand car you get is gonna be good. all cars break, all cars have made it to the podium at one time or another. you will be happy with either one.

the only major diffrence between the two besides the price is that the mugen has a pivot ball suspension, and the d8 has a c-hub suspension. personally i hate pivot balls, only cause i suck with them