R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Questions?? Since we're on the subject of turn marshall's...

It seems that about 50% of racers or TM's have a problem stopping a runaway once they catch it, so my question is...
Would reaching in and ripping the fuel line off be a viable solution?
When i'm TM'ing i don't carry tools or always wear gloves and many tracks are rock free so i use my foot and only once i used my index finger (never again), but depending on my sneaker i may not be able to jam the flywheel.
It just seems like all to often you see 2 guys trying to kill a motor and not having any luck with it.
If you just reached in and violently ripped the fuel line and possibly broke the tank on accident would that be acceptable instead of losing a motor ?
What would you want done to your car that was reaching max rpm's ?
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbelden View Post
It seems that about 50% of racers or TM's have a problem stopping a runaway once they catch it, so my question is...
Would reaching in and ripping the fuel line off be a viable solution?
When i'm TM'ing i don't carry tools or always wear gloves and many tracks are rock free so i use my foot and only once i used my index finger (never again), but depending on my sneaker i may not be able to jam the flywheel.
It just seems like all to often you see 2 guys trying to kill a motor and not having any luck with it.
If you just reached in and violently ripped the fuel line and possibly broke the tank on accident would that be acceptable instead of losing a motor ?
What would you want done to your car that was reaching max rpm's ?
hold the car down on it's tires and blow the clutch..
Old 10-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+1 on that, if you hold the car down on its wheels and put your knee on it the car will engage the clutch and bog. Sometimes the body pushes down over the pipe when you do this but if not you can kill it by covering the pipe and save the clutches too.
matrixmike28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Putting the car on its wheels is a good idea. Just hold it by the wing so the tires still spin while on the ground. That way it doesn't burn up the clutch but the engine doesn't rev freely. Then plug the exhaust to kill the engine.

The biggest problem is that for most people, a runaway buggy or truggy is a scary thing when its in your hands. The tires grow and its very loud. Very overwhelming to someone who isn't very experienced.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've had to do it several times this year. I have not yet had a problem jamming the flywheel with the tip of my shoe. Really, you just have to tap it. I've had it before where plugging the pipe didn't work at all. Presumably because there was a leak in one of the silicone gaskets, maybe?

I think the bigger problem is people needing to get that stuff figured out before they even get on the track. It should be one of the most important things you're taught. The only time it should be possible is if something burns up and the throttle servo gets fried, stuck wide open. Otherwise, failsafe and carb return.

I had it happen to me once this year. I was using a new brand of threadlock on the engine mount. It loosened up during practice, the motor shifted over and the carb was pulled open. Luckily it was right infront of someone who knew what they were doing and killed it within 3 seconds. I threw that threadlock out.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

If I have gloves on I'll plug the pipe, but mostly I'll hold it down till the clutch goes.

I've had one run away this year (dodgy switch), which a turn marshal did a great job of marshalling. The numbskull picked it up and put it down on it's wheels firing it straight down our front straight at full tilt into the marshal at the other end of the straight. Fortunatelly not too much damage was done to car or marshal and we had some good chuckles about it afterwards.

Who the **** is MrMagoo???
MrMagoo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
Tech Master

It should be a standard for all drivers, to have a rubber band around the carburator to the throttle rod. That will reduce those accidents close to 100%.

Hey… Even A. Hara got it on his Hot bodies:

Cheers
I miss you Amy...
Lille-bror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lille-bror View Post
It should be a standard for all drivers, to have a rubber band around the carburator to the throttle rod. That will reduce those accidents close to 100%.

Hey… Even A. Hara got it on his Hot bodies:

Cheers
I just lost a engine - my truck took off after the reciever died, our tracks here all requirer something on the trottle to close it in case this happend, but it did not, those bands do not have the strength to move your high end - high torque digital servos.......... it dont work anymore...

And as far as I catching a run away......... I just use my foot on the fly wheel....... dont, nothings broke......
Old 10-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

i hold the car down on its wheels and cover the exhaust with the side of my shoe till it dies, dont have to worry about burnt fingers, no reason to get hurt its not your emergency
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Hold the vehicle with the wheels down, reach under the body and squeeze the air filter boot to suffocate the engine. If its running WOT stopping the flywheel is killing the rod-i mean 30,000 + rpms to stopped=stressed rod
The 2 runaways that happened while I was on the track both lived to run another day. 1 needed bearings but the rest was OK, The motor had less than half a gallon thru it. Took me a minute to get to it as I am almost crippled (30% disabled) it ran straight to a newbie flipped landed at his feet and he lstood and looked at it with a wtf do I do look on his face. On this motor the servo screw came out a rubber band would have prevented this

Jason
shady3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yes, like most people are saying, the best way is to grab the front and back and slam it on the ground with the tires hitting the dirt. Then use a shirt or shoe and plug the exhaust as fast as possible.

Ive had 1 runaway in which my vehicle hit a jump at full speed and flew across the track. The 2-3 people that were closest grabbed it and knew exactly what they were doing. I don't know their names but I appreciate it and I thank you.

Ive seen a lot of runaways and have only seen 1 motor "pop" from it. I give kudos to anyone who has stopped or help stop a runaway. You risk being injured when you try to stop a runaway but that doesn't stop anyone from helping out. That shows how awesome the rc community really is!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

what if you punt it to somebody with a screw driver or a rock to hit the fly wheel. just joking i usually put it down on all four and use my shirt to plug the exhaust.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #13
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Krawlin Send a message via MSN to Krawlin Send a message via Yahoo to Krawlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady3031 View Post
Hold the vehicle with the wheels down, reach under the body and squeeze the air filter boot to suffocate the engine. If its running WOT stopping the flywheel is killing the rod-i mean 30,000 + rpms to stopped=stressed rod
Only problem I see with trying to squeeze the air filter boot is actually getting your hand in there quickly, even though you have it pushed down on the ground, the vehicle is trying to go forward and probably spinning the wheels and throwing dirt everywhere.

I actually carry a piece of Lexan with me to jam the flywheel of engines when I turn marshal. It's a 1/4inch thick, 4 inch long by 2 inch wide piece of Lexan, fits easily in my pocket, easy to pull out of my pocket, and when there is a runaway, I grab it and flip it over (or just run to it if it's already flipped over) and shove a corner of that piece of Lexan into the flywheel hole in the chassis. It doesn't stop the engine so instantly that it stresses the rod, but rather slows it smoothly and quickly with high friction. I have used it many times and it always works great. I think anyone who turn marshals should make something like this to keep in their pocket when turn marshaling, IMO it's one of the best ways to stop a runaway.

But as a cautionary note, if you flip a runaway RC over to stop the flywheel, the tires often balloon like crazy, so be careful where you put your hands/arms. I have brushed against a ballooning tire of a runaway truggy, and trust me it does not feel good at all!!! So if you do this, don't hold me responsible if you get scratched up by the tires!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawlin View Post
Only problem I see with trying to squeeze the air filter boot is actually getting your hand in there quickly, even though you have it pushed down on the ground, the vehicle is trying to go forward and probably spinning the wheels and throwing dirt everywhere.

I actually carry a piece of Lexan with me to jam the flywheel of engines when I turn marshal. It's a 1/4inch thick, 4 inch long by 2 inch wide piece of Lexan, fits easily in my pocket, easy to pull out of my pocket, and when there is a runaway, I grab it and flip it over (or just run to it if it's already flipped over) and shove a corner of that piece of Lexan into the flywheel hole in the chassis. It doesn't stop the engine so instantly that it stresses the rod, but rather slows it smoothly and quickly with high friction. I have used it many times and it always works great. I think anyone who turn marshals should make something like this to keep in their pocket when turn marshaling, IMO it's one of the best ways to stop a runaway.

But as a cautionary note, if you flip a runaway RC over to stop the flywheel, the tires often balloon like crazy, so be careful where you put your hands/arms. I have brushed against a ballooning tire of a runaway truggy, and trust me it does not feel good at all!!! So if you do this, don't hold me responsible if you get scratched up by the tires!
I may do this, i know they make a screwdriver looking tool but i hate stuff in my pockets when i TM, so the lexan may be ok.
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Grab the car and knock it backwards against the ground with the wheels since the clutch is fully engaged this is like sticking your foot in the fly wheel, but quicker. The sudden grab and opposite force on the car as a whole will shut the engine off by stalling it out.

This has worked for me.

Or on Truggy's since they tend to be a little more open sometimes you can grab the air filter and rip it off and jam a finger in the carb restrictor and choke it.
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 B/Werks B7 Pro/2013/Hitech HV Servos
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 E/Mamba Monster ESC/Xcelorin 2100kv or NEU Castle 2650kv *RIP-LIPO FIRE
RJNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote