R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJNicholson View Post
Grab the car and knock it backwards against the ground with the wheels since the clutch is fully engaged this is like sticking your foot in the fly wheel, but quicker. The sudden grab and opposite force on the car as a whole will shut the engine off by stalling it out.

This has worked for me.

Or on Truggy's since they tend to be a little more open sometimes you can grab the air filter and rip it off and jam a finger in the carb restrictor and choke it.
then you would be taking the chance of damaging someones motor wouldnt the sudden stop break the rod or crank pin.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

cant tell you how many motors i have saved while tm with the ofna jrl tune stop
In the back pocket...

If you can make it I can break it
chris c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #18
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady3031 View Post
Hold the vehicle with the wheels down, reach under the body and squeeze the air filter boot to suffocate the engine. If its running WOT stopping the flywheel is killing the rod-i mean 30,000 + rpms to stopped=stressed rod
The 2 runaways that happened while I was on the track both lived to run another day. 1 needed bearings but the rest was OK, The motor had less than half a gallon thru it. Took me a minute to get to it as I am almost crippled (30% disabled) it ran straight to a newbie flipped landed at his feet and he lstood and looked at it with a wtf do I do look on his face. On this motor the servo screw came out a rubber band would have prevented this

Jason
...i had a runaway WOT on my ASsociated RC10GT and it was flipped over so i was able to grab it..i put my shoe on the flywheel and the motor stopped allright......because the rod EXPLODED........

i would've been better to burn the clutch...........
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If the car has landed upside down, I stab the fly with the toe of my shoe as I come up on it. If the car is stuck or in motion and I can wrangle it, I push it down on the ground and wrap my shirt around my finger a few times and plug the stinger. If I have gloves on, it's even easier. Clutch shoes or bell is cheaper than motor.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to skeller Send a message via MSN to skeller Send a message via Yahoo to skeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady3031 View Post
Hold the vehicle with the wheels down, reach under the body and squeeze the air filter boot to suffocate the engine. If its running WOT stopping the flywheel is killing the rod-i mean 30,000 + rpms to stopped=stressed rod
The 2 runaways that happened while I was on the track both lived to run another day. 1 needed bearings but the rest was OK, The motor had less than half a gallon thru it. Took me a minute to get to it as I am almost crippled (30% disabled) it ran straight to a newbie flipped landed at his feet and he lstood and looked at it with a wtf do I do look on his face. On this motor the servo screw came out a rubber band would have prevented this

Jason

This way works very well..............you smartass!!
skeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
then you would be taking the chance of damaging someones motor wouldnt the sudden stop break the rod or crank pin.
What do you think using your shoe on the flywheel does. It's not like it slows it down then stops it.
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 B/Werks B7 Pro/2013/Hitech HV Servos
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 E/Mamba Monster ESC/Xcelorin 2100kv or NEU Castle 2650kv *RIP-LIPO FIRE
RJNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJNicholson View Post
What do you think using your shoe on the flywheel does. It's not like it slows it down then stops it.
i didnt mean nothing by it just kind of a question really but you would be going against the motor.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
I just lost a engine - my truck took off after the reciever died, our tracks here all requirer something on the trottle to close it in case this happend, but it did not, those bands do not have the strength to move your high end - high torque digital servos.......... it dont work anymore...

And as far as I catching a run away......... I just use my foot on the fly wheel....... dont, nothings broke......
It all depends on which high torque servo you are using, and how you arrange the bands.

Eg. a 12 kg Sav÷x servo is VERY easy to turn by hand - or rubber band

Cheers
I miss you Amy...
Lille-bror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Digitals are way easier to turn by hand on loss of power unlike analog. I can flick my throttle horn on my JR 9100HVS and move it back and forth like no other. I bet I could blow on it to move it as well.

I know you didn't mean anything by it DPowers. Just pointing out its the same as the flywheel/shoe technique.

I know I wouldn't care how anyone stopped my $300 dollar mill. At $50 con-rod that gets pulled from the sudden stop is better then it going "ping" and causing me to buy a new P/S/R and possibly more.
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 B/Werks B7 Pro/2013/Hitech HV Servos
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 E/Mamba Monster ESC/Xcelorin 2100kv or NEU Castle 2650kv *RIP-LIPO FIRE
RJNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote