R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
Nor do I (just through all of mine in the trash when we moved) but if the promoter promisses trophies (or anything for that matter) he better come through.
I got that, but I have help to start a track here.... sunk a good bit of money in it.
you guys have to realize that tracks dont make money - at the end of the day if you can cover the cost of maintance, its a good day.
When anyone holds a race and promises cash or awards -they are basing that off of a certian amount of enitries.
Now what I would have done, was to say that this series did not have the number of people signed up , but i would not have canceled the race........ that sucks..............
Old 10-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
I got that, but I have help to start a track here.... sunk a good bit of money in it.
you guys have to realize that tracks dont make money - at the end of the day if you can cover the cost of maintance, its a good day.
When anyone holds a race and promises cash or awards -they are basing that off of a certian amount of enitries.
Now what I would have done, was to say that this series did not have the number of people signed up , but i would not have canceled the race........ that sucks..............
Tracks dont make money? If that were true, there wouldnt be any. Overhead on the track is minimal. A succesful shop can easily carry track costs.

Anyone that advertises, states, promisses (whatever) should come through. If a statement is made prior to the series starting that a certain number of entrants are needed to make something happen is one thing but if you flake anytime during the series you're just a chump.
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #33
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthinFancy91 View Post

It was early in the morning, I didn't take the tires before I marshaled, because if by some chance something happened and I couldn't marshal, I would have had to taken them back. I stayed up and missed some needed sleep and marshaled, later on I let him know I marshaled and I got a thanks. I wasn't sure how to ask for the tires, so I just sorta hoped he would come up to me later with them, but didn't...

No big deal, it's been months ago. Me and Porty were just talking this morning and I made mention of it. If I got mad after every time I didn't get a set of tires or an e-mail responded to, I'd probably quit racing. But life goes on, and if he offered today I'd take a set of Losi Red or Green Eclipses. lol

Sincerely,
Bo Johnson

I think everyone missed that .....he said he would take a set of Losi tires
x8racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x8racing View Post
I think everyone missed that .....he said he would take a set of Losi tires
Yeah, I saw it. Maybe it's an AE driver and he's just trying to make a point!
jared52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #35
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthinFancy91 View Post

It was early in the morning, I didn't take the tires before I marshaled, because if by some chance something happened and I couldn't marshal, I would have had to taken them back. I stayed up and missed some needed sleep and marshaled, later on I let him know I marshaled and I got a thanks. I wasn't sure how to ask for the tires, so I just sorta hoped he would come up to me later with them, but didn't...

No big deal, it's been months ago. Me and Porty were just talking this morning and I made mention of it. If I got mad after every time I didn't get a set of tires or an e-mail responded to, I'd probably quit racing. But life goes on, and if he offered today I'd take a set of Losi Red or Green Eclipses. lol

Sincerely,
Bo Johnson

i caught that too...
sounds like a losi driver to me........
crawldad91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawldad91 View Post
i caught that too...
sounds like a losi driver to me........
Funny thing is that this "unknown" driver actually autographed his tire for me after the race, took it right off the car and put his name on it and now its on our wall. It's not like my talent will get me to races where he's at so when driver X came to town i was pretty stoked.
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbelden View Post
Funny thing is that this "unknown" driver actually autographed his tire for me after the race, took it right off the car and put his name on it and now its on our wall. It's not like my talent will get me to races where he's at so when driver X came to town i was pretty stoked.
lol Bren PM me, I don't know who you're talking about...
Johnson Racing Team #94
Blue Groove R/C Apparel
Rccna Racing Team
Team Losi
NuthinFancy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:38 AM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

Quote:
Tracks dont make money? If that were true, there wouldnt be any. Overhead on the track is minimal. A succesful shop can easily carry track costs.
Tracks make money eh? Have you ran a track? Have you done accounting for a track? Some do make money but most do not. That is why most do not last more than a few years. The owners get tired of losing money or just breaking even. The only successful long term tracks I have seen pay little or no rent or get large turnouts every week.

It is true that once an outdoor track is up and running the overhead is not large. However you are forgetting the Bobcat rental and cost of the property. On top of that you are leaving out the $4k paid for the timing system, $1.5k paid for computer and scoring software, 5-20k for dirt, 2k+ for a driver's stand, $1k for pipe on a big track and it does wear out, and probably some things I forgot like installing power, water, and lights.

If it makes so much money I invite you to build a track and start raking in the dough.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:20 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by windellmc View Post
Tracks make money eh? Have you ran a track? Have you done accounting for a track? Some do make money but most do not. That is why most do not last more than a few years. The owners get tired of losing money or just breaking even. The only successful long term tracks I have seen pay little or no rent or get large turnouts every week.

It is true that once an outdoor track is up and running the overhead is not large. However you are forgetting the Bobcat rental and cost of the property. On top of that you are leaving out the $4k paid for the timing system, $1.5k paid for computer and scoring software, 5-20k for dirt, 2k+ for a driver's stand, $1k for pipe on a big track and it does wear out, and probably some things I forgot like installing power, water, and lights.

If it makes so much money I invite you to build a track and start raking in the dough.
You quoted all that needs to be said. If the track doesnt make money, it closes. I live in a state that has tracks 20 years old, perhaps they just have lots of disposable income.

Businesses die everyday because of poor management, poor location, or demographic.
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:39 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Quote:
You quoted all that needs to be said. If the track doesnt make money, it closes. I live in a state that has tracks 20 years old, perhaps they just have lots of disposable income.

Businesses die everyday because of poor management, poor location, or demographic.
Like you said before - the tracks that last are normally ran by or attached to a LHS. Even the ones that are attached still does not "rake in doe." People that does try to open a track to not do it for the money, they do it because they want to...... most still have full time jobs. Like the other dude said. Unless you have 6 or 7 big races a year, you bearly cover the cost of even maintaing at track...... Do anyone know how much it cost to water a track for one day of racing. Or even renting a Bobcat and or front loader. There is alot of cost to opening a track. And finding the land to build a track on is hard becasue you need the proper dirt......

It would be nice to have all the MX tracks to open RC tracks too..... The two tracks that are built and ran on MX tracks are very nice....... Nitro Pit and Colorado Fast Track.

And again MAD, the promoter should have still had the race....... some one just got lazy...
Old 10-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #41
Tech Champion

Sponsored, or not sponsored, if someone tries to get one up on me in such a way, I don't forget it, it's blatantly uncalled for.

We are in this hobby all as one.

I lent someone a part to finish a race series once, did they return it? (despite reminding them)

No.

They then went on to smack talk me some time later, (something even my 4 year old son wouldnt think of doing!) And even lie about a sponsorship deal they were applying for.

Luckily with the latter, I saw through them and just pretended to agree. Why BS about something? You always get found out, sooner or later...

it's people like this I do have a thought of bad karma for

If people genuinely forget to return their dues though, thats totally different, it's not intentional.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
Sponsored, or not sponsored, if someone tries to get one up on me in such a way, I don't forget it, it's blatantly uncalled for.

We are in this hobby all as one.

I lent someone a part to finish a race series once, did they return it? (despite reminding them)

No.

They then went on to smack talk me some time later, (something even my 4 year old son wouldnt think of doing!) And even lie about a sponsorship deal they were applying for.

Luckily with the latter, I saw through them and just pretended to agree. Why BS about something? You always get found out, sooner or later...

it's people like this I do have a thought of bad karma for

If people genuinely forget to return their dues though, thats totally different, it's not intentional
+1
Old 10-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #43
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Next time you race where the guys racing, walk by his pitspot and grab the tires he is getting ready to put on his truck/buggy and tell him thanks for the tires he owes you. And keep walking....
mracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Two comments on track building needing the right dirt???

Thats where alot of tracks get ahead and cheap out on the dirt. Use the dirt thats there! Can't be done everywhere. Some states don't have dirt. (Florida-sand)

I was surprized at first as I traveled to different tracks. Some use sandy clay, some swampy mud clay, some just peel the grass off and use whats there.

Unique rocky, dusty dirt up here.

After all it is an offroad track. Shouldn't be nice grippy smooth clay like a tennis court.

The hardest part is getting people to show up and deciding who to attract. Do you want to have big events for nitro 1/8th scale or 1/10th?
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote