Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What really pisses me off about racing offroad

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Default What really pisses me off about racing offroad

Sorry, first post but gotta vent. Been racing for a while and have invested a lot of time and $$$ like most of youall. Im taking it seriously and want to finish good but people that don't pay attention when turn marshaling drive me nuts. Yeah, it's my own fault when I wreck but it's gonna happen, I don't need some guy not paying attention adding another 5-10 seconds to my time because he's not paying attention and let my car just sit there. This happened twice by the same guy in one qualifier.

Also, it pisses me off when guys who are obviously slower than me won't allow a pass in qualifiers and seem to think it' the actual race. Then they wreck you. Nothing happens to these guys, nothing is said, it seems to just be part of the sport where I race. Is is kind of accepted that you aren't racing each other in qualifiers and faster guys are given room to pass?

How do you guys handle it? It really makes me want to say screw this hobby and do something that is at least half way fair. People driving like jackasses and lazy turnmarshalls can dramatically change how well you finish. Again, how do you handle it?
Old 10-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

1. Don't crash

2. Pass the slow guys.

Sorry to be so simplistic but that is the bottom line.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I hear ya, but the only thing you can do is talk to the people and be personable to them. Let them know what happened so in hopes that they correct it.

A rule of thumb I usually use during qualifiers is I generally try to make my first qualifier my best qualifier, and I will let the field start 1/2-3/4 a lap ahead of me, because you have 5 minutes or whatever the length is when YOU cross the line, not when the horn goes. This way you generally will stay out of heavy traffic situations, and you can worry about your lines. Plus this way if you run a good first qualifier, you can start dialing in a good race setup your next qualifier(s). But it also depends on the system too. Our state series is switching to a points system for qualifying so this strategy would be null and void, but in general qualifying that is the technique I use. Either way I like to leave a gap from the main pack that likes to be racey.

Hope this helps, it can be frustrating at first, but just remember the more you play in traffic the better you get at reading what the track and the vehicles are going to do, so the better you will react in those situations. Have fun, drive smart, and maintain your vehicles, and the rest will fall into place.

-Brandon
Old 10-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

I don't mean to sound petty here Jeremy.....but everyone else in your race has to deal with the exact same turn marshalls. If they suck....don't crash and you won't get to find out how sucky they really are.....yes that is easier said than done sometimes....but as you get better...you will see the light.

As far as lappers, they are part of every form of racing known to man. Fast guys get around lappers clean. Slow guys get caught up in lappers. It really is that simple. If you want to get faster....learn to drive in traffic. It's all part of the game. If you can anticipate what they will do (or not do), you will have the upper hand. Every once in awhile you will get a lapper that is erratic and unpredictable holding you up.....it is these cases in which we all recite "Rubbin is racing"

Dirty driving is not taken too kindly, but a few bumps here and there is almost expected in tight racing. Use it to your advantage if push comes to shove, just remember....you will have to pass the same guy again in another few laps...so the kinder your pass is...the more likely he is to move out of your way the next time you lap him.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Its a hobby man. Yeah everybody wants to win, take a deep breath and just go out and have fun with it.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Well first if at all possible i try get the marshals attention or give him a really good wake upcall to get his attention( after he flips your back over,if you have a 1/8 scale buggy coming rite at you, i think you'll pay attention a little more often)Dont hit him but get his attention! Then second if they are intently holding you back, i mite say something to the driver like come on man!( in a polite way),if that doesn't work, well i push them out of the way!
Old 10-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

The problem I've seen is marshals that walk rite out in front of you, when your laying rite on the throttle down a straightway.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Anybody who makes a negative rant for their first post should be permanently banned from the forum..
Old 10-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
1. Don't crash

2. Pass the slow guys.

Sorry to be so simplistic but that is the bottom line.
Simple as that.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

try on-road racing... might stay on its wheels longer.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Davidka
Anybody who makes a negative rant for their first post should be permanently banned from the forum..
Take it easy man, just trying to get some opinions on how to handle two tough problems with the hobby.

Thanks everyone else for the replys and advice. At your tracks do you have any rules about qualifying being just that and not a race?
Old 10-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Tech Regular

Don't crash=best advice they gave but to go one further if you try your hardest to not crash make sure you stop crashing there in front of that guy. Keep in mind its not his fault you crashed. But also look at it as if what would you do if he wasn't there at all? You would then be flipped for a good two minutes (time it takes you to go fetch your own car). I went through this in my last race, twice same guy did not get me going as fast as I wished he would have. Part of the incentive to us to try to do better and find new lines if we keep flipping in the ones were running. I try to go out there and be as alaert as I can so I can get that car flipped and keep them in the race. I like good battles and if I screw up I am quick to tell the guy sorry after the race because I don't want anyone butt hurt over something as petty as you didn't flip my car as fast as I wish you would have.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yes, everyone is right. Don't wreck especially at a slow turnmarshall. However, the race director should be calling these people out if they are asleep on their marshalling duties. Our race director is quick to remind you to watch your corner only right over the PA system. He cracks the whip, but runs a smooth race.

As recommended, try to put as much space between you and the other cars on the first lap. Try starting last right before the 1st car comes around. Also, are you running a sportsman class? If your track has both, maybe you should try and run the pro/expert class which generally, but not always, runs a cleaner race.

So, as for recommendations; start last, talk to the race director about calling people out, and switch to pro/expert if you have separate classes.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Yell and swear at them while waving your arms
Old 10-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Quals always turn into races for me. If there is somebody in front of me I'm working on reeling them in. Once I get by them it's on to the next one. Being able to find a different line to get around somebody is what separates the average driver from the expert. If you're tangling up it sounds like you're trying to impose your will around another car. When you get behind somebody, many drivers have a tendency to pay attention to the vehicle in front (use to love taking people into the boards when I could tell they were watching my car ) of them vice finding a line around them or being prepared to capitalize on a mistake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.