What really pisses me off about racing offroad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What really pisses me off about racing offroad

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Tech Adept

I usually pay marshalls before the race... so that they follow only my car.

It's incredible how a few hundreds can turn you car in an instant

Last edited by SwisströM; 10-07-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

maybe you should stop racing offroad kits,go get an rc plane,no traffics at all
Old 10-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

the difference between a pro and someone who acts like a pro is this

a pro will drive around
someone who thinks they are a pro will drive through you....

either take the section of the track were you crash the most slower.. or go faster....

sometimes more throttle will keep the car timid in a rough section like a mogel section or something.. or if you cant get the hang of a double double roll them as single single single single.

better luck to you.
our races consist of the slash guys marshaling the buggy for round 2... so dont tell me i have not become a better driver because i have to rely on 5 to 45 year olds to marshal my car at anygivin time... and sometimes the kids get scared of those 1/8 cars that are sometimes bigger then they are.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by PartTime
Traffic is racing. Your supposta be racing the clock but it never turns out like that. If you cant deal with traffic and numb nuts on the track get out now cause there everywhere.

Mostly the golden rule will get you by. If a faster guys comes up on you all you can do is hope they dont take you out b4 you have time or space to let them go. If they dont take you out then the next time they come by you will be more willing to let them go a little sooner. You have to do the same to other guys. If you come up on traffic then be patient and wait for a spot to get by or wait for them to crash and then go by. If you slam in the back of them they will not be so nice next time around.

Slower is faster. Most of the time I just wait for them to let me go or crash. I even go so far as to make sure they cant take me out. If that means I have to slow down to there pace or let a slower guy by then so be it. If there running good and I cant get by I ask if they can let me go. And I dont mean 1 or 2 corners. I will give them a lap or two b4 I get vocal, unless im on tq or leading the race then its " tq coming threw" or somthing to that effect.

Its just club racing. Dont matter. Race clean and have fun.

Marrshals? All I can say is return the favor when there on the track.

DK

Good post.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gearhead racer
The problem I've seen is marshals that walk rite out in front of you, when your laying rite on the throttle down a straightway.
I'm always very alert and ready to TM but i was real sick last week and doped up on cold meds and for whatever reason i walked as fast as a turtle across the lonnnnggg straightaway and my own friend took my foot off, wasn't like i could get mad, hell i didn't barely know where i was. Afterwards he was wondering what i was thinking and even i had to admit i wasn't thinking and it was all good. Big toe hurt for a couple of hours but i was able to remember to look both ways before crossing the street after that.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by petevette
Yes, everyone is right. Don't wreck especially at a slow turnmarshall. However, the race director should be calling these people out if they are asleep on their marshalling duties. Our race director is quick to remind you to watch your corner only right over the PA system. He cracks the whip, but runs a smooth race.

As recommended, try to put as much space between you and the other cars on the first lap. Try starting last right before the 1st car comes around. Also, are you running a sportsman class? If your track has both, maybe you should try and run the pro/expert class which generally, but not always, runs a cleaner race.

So, as for recommendations; start last, talk to the race director about calling people out, and switch to pro/expert if you have separate classes.
I run pro when i can (even though i suck) just because i know they never take me out and never have a problem getting around me.
I'm not going to win sportsman class but i have less fun haveing other bad drivers use me for a corner and causing me to get frustrated.
Losing and having fun is better than losing and being mad
Old 10-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Most of why we race, is for that one prefect weekend, when everything fell into place and we got the coveted win!

Sometimes that can mean a few weeks of poor results and bad luck, sometimes even longer...but eventually it happens again and we remember why we keep spending our hard earned money and coming back ready for another go round'!

If we give up because of a few rough weekends in a row, then we either never had that ultimate weekend yet, or we give up too easily.

I say, when things go bad...

1)try and stay as calm as possible and keep in mind that things you say and do will reflect on you, not the issue at hand. (Most people don't want to hear of your woes, they want to tell you theirs).

2)Become more determined to figure out the traffic.

3)Walk the track before a race, practice also and remember the hardest areas. Keep in mind that the hardest area is usually also the hardest to marshall, making keeping it on the wheels even more important in those spots!

4) This is maybe the biggest thing to remember...Running your car so hard that it feels like a constant crash but you manage to steer thru it lap after lap means you are driving to hard.
Try and drive at 90% of your comfort zone and leave it so you feel like you are "saving a little". Watch how much faster your lap times get if you improve your timing and car control, rather then driving punched, looking to "get away with one good run". If you do this, your consistency will improve, so will your results and some racers will start asking you what set up you are using!

Hope this helps,
Jim
W.E.D.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
Most of why we race, is for that one prefect weekend, when everything fell into place and we got the coveted win!

Sometimes that can mean a few weeks of poor results and bad luck, sometimes even longer...but eventually it happens again and we remember why we keep spending our hard earned money and coming back ready for another go round'!

If we give up because of a few rough weekends in a row, then we either never had that ultimate weekend yet, or we give up too easily.

I say, when things go bad...

1)try and stay as calm as possible and keep in mind that things you say and do will reflect on you, not the issue at hand. (Most people don't want to hear of your woes, they want to tell you theirs).

2)Become more determined to figure out the traffic.

3)Walk the track before a race, practice also and remember the hardest areas. Keep in mind that the hardest area is usually also the hardest to marshall, making keeping it on the wheels even more important in those spots!

4) This is maybe the biggest thing to remember...Running your car so hard that it feels like a constant crash but you manage to steer thru it lap after lap means you are driving to hard.
Try and drive at 90% of your comfort zone and leave it so you feel like you are "saving a little". Watch how much faster your lap times get if you improve your timing and car control, rather then driving punched, looking to "get away with one good run". If you do this, your consistency will improve, so will your results and some racers will start asking you what set up you are using!

Hope this helps,
Jim
W.E.D.
nice post.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I always tell guys that a good racer will always find a way around a slower racer. I never ask anyone to pull over and get out of my way, because 9 times out of 10 I'll get in a wreck when someone tries to pull over and get out of my way. It's easier for me if they just race like they normally would, and when they washout in the corner, or slide out wide, I duck underneath and run away.

I've become very patient this last 2 racing seasons, and it's paid off tremendously.

As for slow turn marshalls, I know I've had times where I would rather jump off the drivers stand and get it myself. but after the race is over, and everyone had the same experience with the same marshall, It all equalizes in the end. Learn from that wreck, and don't do it again!

Or you could volunteer to marshall that slow marshalls race, and do the same thing to him that he did to you. But I suggest you let it go and move on to how you can prevent those kind of wrecks.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The track I race at most often, they do resorts for the 3rd round of quals. They resort it so that the fast guys are all in the same qualifier. It seems to work well.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ginger
maybe you should stop racing offroad kits,go get an rc plane,no traffics at all
No, just the ground!
Old 10-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Tech Adept

Default getting mad

What pisses me off:

People who get mad and yell at turn marshals.

People who get mad at slower drivers

People who forget they're racing little toy cars around a track for fun.

If your not getting paid to drive and you can't handle the inexperienced drivers and marshals on the track without getting you tits in a knot, find a different hobby.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ConciliumDesign
What pisses me off:

If your not getting paid to drive and you can't handle the inexperienced drivers and marshals on the track without getting you tits in a knot, find a different hobby.
Like knitting?
Old 10-08-2009, 03:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ConciliumDesign
What pisses me off:

This.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:19 AM
Tech Champion

What can I say that hasnt been said already?

We all have good days and bad days racing, if the bad outnumber the good you're bound to be feeling rathe flat about going to your next race meeting.

Ive been in the hobby for 15 years and had a year or so gap in there somewhere, considered quitting or changing car at times through the bad times, but i'm still here, still racing sedan

You need a good group of people around you when racing, or you will very quickly loose all mojo for the hobby. Winning, or doing well isn't enough for this hobby to keep most of us with it.

Focus on the good things that come out of your racing and your attitude to it will flourish.

Getting caught up in the bad side of it, wether it be smack, or poor marshalling/racing incidents by others only turns you into a negatively minded person, which in turn will affect your vision on racing. (And probably your results as well).

When the going is not so good for me, i'll take a deep breath, talk with the good guys around me and focus on making sure the car is in good condition.

Ranting and raving about the bad stuff isn't going to get you far, but focusing on what you can change as an individual will.

I've learnt to ignore or stay away from the people who talk smack, and let other good people who you race with know who wants to try and make your blood boil, so they can stay clear of them too.

Bad reputation soon spreads, as long as the facts are there to a given situation. Sometimes it gets sorted out, sometimes it doesnt.

We're all in it for a good time, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.