R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default RC8B or XRAY 808

I think I'm going to order a new buggy, not sure yet, but not sure what I want. I currently have an RC8 and really like it. Going for the new B version is by far the cheaper and easier way to go because I already know the car and have a stock pile of spares.
On the other hand, curiosity always get's the best of me and I can't help but to wonder if I'd like something else better. So I'm looking at the XRAY. A couple of local guys have them and they rave about the quality and I've read supporting statements all over the net.
So how do the 2 compare? I know the RC8 doesn't have the cult like following that the Losi has and a lot of people don't like it for some reason. Mine has been very durable and handles great since I got it all setup. I like how it likes to be driven aggressively. I'm not much of a finess driver anymore, I seem to have lost that touch. How does the XRAY handle? What spares are needed for it? Where's the weak points? Are there any must do upgrades or is it good right out the box?

I know I'll get 1000 replys saying Losi or Mugen. I'm not interested in either one. The vast majority of the people at my track run Losi and there's quite a few Mugens too. For some reason, I don't like to follow the masses. I may would consider an MBX6, but doubt it. So what do you think?
pickle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Had both, prefere the Xray 809.

If an 809 and RC8 bump, the 809 is going for a ride. The 809 lacks the planted on the ground like an oak tree feel the Rc8 has. You can make it more stable /planted, but that would ruin the point of haveing one in the first place. Its a small lightweight feeling car. Good in the tight sections. More pop off of jumps better landings. It is a more agressive car. I heard there was a stable setup out there. I ain't trying it.

Demolishin derby between the two. The RC8 deosn't stand a chance.

Not even close in durability. I managed to fly into an immovable object (Whoopie Goldbergs head) and destroyed my 086 pipe. Impacts like that regularly blew my RC8 to pieces. Marshal threw me back on the track and my 809 finished the run.

Every single part on the Xray is higher grade and it shows. Plastic, shocks, diffs, hinge pins, drivetrain, desighn.

The engine sits farther forward on the 809, the front and rear diffs are easier to get to. The center diff is a pain to get back in on the 809, easy to get back in on the RC8.

The chassis braces and engine mount on every Rc8 i've seen stink, did the B fix that?

The RC8 rotors are a nice option to stick on the 809 with hardened pads. (for dry days anyway) The stock 809 steel rotors work better in goo.

You set the amount of play on the suspension to where you want it on the Xray. So the car allways feels new. All you have to do is tighten the hinge pin nuts. Deosn't have the rapid wear and play that the RC8 gets.

Xray has an active diff available.

I prefere the Xray/Mugen style clutch.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle311 View Post
I think I'm going to order a new buggy, not sure yet, but not sure what I want. I currently have an RC8 and really like it. Going for the new B version is by far the cheaper and easier way to go because I already know the car and have a stock pile of spares.
On the other hand, curiosity always get's the best of me and I can't help but to wonder if I'd like something else better. So I'm looking at the XRAY. A couple of local guys have them and they rave about the quality and I've read supporting statements all over the net.
So how do the 2 compare? I know the RC8 doesn't have the cult like following that the Losi has and a lot of people don't like it for some reason. Mine has been very durable and handles great since I got it all setup. I like how it likes to be driven aggressively. I'm not much of a finess driver anymore, I seem to have lost that touch. How does the XRAY handle? What spares are needed for it? Where's the weak points? Are there any must do upgrades or is it good right out the box?

I know I'll get 1000 replys saying Losi or Mugen. I'm not interested in either one. The vast majority of the people at my track run Losi and there's quite a few Mugens too. For some reason, I don't like to follow the masses. I may would consider an MBX6, but doubt it. So what do you think?
I had both. The rc8 is just not in the same league as the Xray when it comes to durability, quality, and finish. It is like night and day. You will be so disgusted with Associated after putting the 808 together it won't even be funny. Xray's do not get sloppy, they are the lightest car on the market, and surprisingly, they do not break. Every 808 owner will tell you they have $200 of unopened spares in their pitbox that they never use. The car doesn't need any upgrades whatsoever. All 808 upgrades are purely for bling and ego, not necessity.

I agree with zerodefect. The xray is a very aggressive car and the steering is unbelievable.

Go with the 808, you will not regret it one bit.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Tech Elite

I use Josh Wheelers Worlds setup as a base setup on the BOB.

The only handleing problem I have is a few traction rolls and an understeer that pops up randomly every once in a while.

I had to increase my rear camber to get the car to slide more to prevent the rolls and under steer. (Never had that problem with the RC8, it never had enough traction to traction roll.)

Droop (-2,-2) and ride ht are critical on the BOB.

The quality of the Xray can really turn you into a snob. Everthing else starts to look like an entry level Duratrax.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 10-06-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

I have always been an associated guy. When the RC8 first came out I was there picking mine up. I am not going to mention all the problems I had with it until the service pack became available. At least at that point I stopped having breakage issues, however, the tank problems progressed deep into our relationship and caused me to burn at least one engine and maybe two. In the RC8 defense, I did like the way it handled but I had a huge inventory of replacement parts and was constantly ordering more.

With that said, I good friend of mine gave me a deal on an Xray (he got tired of watching me wrench on my RC8) that I could not pass up. I thought I would give it a go and then make up my mind. Well, remember I am a Associated fan, I quickly realized what all the Xray fuss was all about. It started when I screwed in my first screw into the plastic. Xray's plastic feels more secure then Associated's aluminum. The plastic are on a completely different level. I don't have any Xray replacement parts and quite frankly haven't needed them. The car is rock solid. It is much easier to drive and more forgiving then the RC8. The first weekend out with the Xray I was driving faster then with the RC8. I have done very little maintenance because my diffs and shocks don't leak. That was a big plus for me. I had to check my RC8's diffs and shocks every 2 weeks. The RC8 hardware just couldn't handle the pounding.

You be the judge.
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Everyone is talking about the RC8, the RC8B, is a better car then the 809. Price of parts is huge.

From Amain

Team Associated Front Arms (RC8B) 11.25 These are the updated arms, both upper and lower arms.

XRAY Front Lower Suspension Arm (1) (XB808) 7.49 This is for 1 arm.

The new buggy is far better then the old RC8.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigedmond View Post
Everyone is talking about the RC8, the RC8B, is a better car then the 809. Price of parts is huge.
But the Xrays have extreme durability and hardly ever break. So you won't necessarily need to be buy lots of parts.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

"I already know the car and have a stock pile of spares."

You will not need a stock pile of parts with the Xray product. The car is very quick in the corner, carrying alot of speed. You will not be disappointed in the Xray. I will admit that over the years I was always worried about not having the parts with me at the track, so I would keep a "stock pile of spares" as you say. I did the same when I purchased the Xray. All the parts are still sitting in the packages. I have heard the same thing from many other Xray owners.

You will feel confident when you enter a race knowing that you will not DNF. You also find your self walking the pits and having a great time rather working on your car.
codyfruge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:28 PM   #9
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via Yahoo to JRRobiso
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle311 View Post

I know you mentioned that you're looking only at two brands. But have you ever looked into the Tamiya TRF801x?
TAOB Racing Team (2004) | Team Driver #101
TRF415MSX | TRF415MRE | TRF801X/XT | K V1 RRR Evo WCE | K IGT2 Audi A4 DTM | AE SC10 4X4
AKA | Airtronics M11 | Spektrum Pro | Speed Passion BL | OS Engines | Sidewinder Fuel | Ko Propo/JR HV/Savox Servos | MuchMore Racing | Xenon Racing | Speedmind | Sorex Tires | Twister Tires
JRRobiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRobiso View Post
I know you mentioned that you're looking only at two brands. But have you ever looked into the Tamiya TRF801x?
Ya man where's the love for the best buggy out there?? I drive my buggy nearly everyday at my track, I must have atleast 4 gallons thrue my car n I still havnt had to change anything but a set of tires and clutch springs lol.
jeff alessi 801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via Yahoo to JRRobiso
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff alessi 801 View Post
Ya man where's the love for the best buggy out there?? I drive my buggy nearly everyday at my track, I must have atleast 4 gallons thrue my car n I still havnt had to change anything but a set of tires and clutch springs lol.

TAOB Racing Team (2004) | Team Driver #101
TRF415MSX | TRF415MRE | TRF801X/XT | K V1 RRR Evo WCE | K IGT2 Audi A4 DTM | AE SC10 4X4
AKA | Airtronics M11 | Spektrum Pro | Speed Passion BL | OS Engines | Sidewinder Fuel | Ko Propo/JR HV/Savox Servos | MuchMore Racing | Xenon Racing | Speedmind | Sorex Tires | Twister Tires
JRRobiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Kerber View Post
But the Xrays have extreme durability and hardly ever break. So you won't necessarily need to be buy lots of parts.
All cars break. I had an 808, and it broke. With all cars, parts need to be replaced as they wear, so parts cost does come into play. That is unless you never do basic maintance to your stuff.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Well here is a good comparison for you. My LHS owner bought an XRAY 809. All parts included were good from the factory and the build to my knowledge went without a hitch. I bought an RC8B and had 2 defective parts and stripped 2 screws going into plastic while assembling.

XRAY + 1 AE 0

I called customer service and spoke to Don, and my parts are on the way. No questions, no hassle. Have not heard the same with XRAY (HUDY)

XRAY 0 AE +1

While not nessacarily the same thing I race an RC8T vs everything else at the track. At the end of the day, other then engine problems, I have completed every race. I have seen XRAYs, Losis, Kyosho's, Tamiya, and Mugens break before my RC8T. Only issues I have ever had with the RC8T were the rear hub carriers (fixed with alum ones, no breaks since) and the hinge pins bending (while this has not ended the race, it is annoying, but according to others the new "gold" hinge pins do not bend as easily. And before someone says well those are upgrades, the Factory XRAY blah blah blah... remember the XRAY costs almost $100 more, so factor in a few FT parts and they are even.

So IMHO

XRAY +1 AE +1

Driving impression. I feel this is more of how each driver's style and setup impacts the car. I love how my RC8T handles, and am really not fond of the Losi ( to me it feels like that car with way too much power steering and no road feel) I have not driven an XRAY.

So the reality. All cars break, all cars handle differently for any given driver.

But it comes down to parts costs, parts availabilty, setup support, setup options (because frankly there are cars that no matter what you do will handle a certain way), and if YOU like it, who cares what others think...
Tekno / Dialed RC Hobbies / TKO Competition Development /
Stirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:54 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

No hotbodies love they have a championship before losi
smokinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:18 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinu View Post
No hotbodies love they have a championship before losi
So what? Does the quality and performance majikly improve when you get a trophy?