R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i do agree that the xray plastic is second to none and that in your hands the car feels like a piece of art. they are tough and drive great from what i have seen. i drive an rc8b and before that an rc8 ft. most of the time the car is not at fault, its the driver! i have finished eight consecutive 30min. mains + two 20min. mains and a 15min. main(that would be 10 a-mains + 1 b-main in a row) with zero issues between my two buggies. i mean one track has a short run up jump all the way against a chain link fence and i have been hung in it a few times with no carnage. i think some people could break any car! the xray might be a tougher car, but i think the rc8 or rc8b will get the job done! i am going to try an 809.5 or 8010 in the future just to test the new platform out. i have owned 2 xray 1/8 scales and have had a few problems with them just like every other brand on the market.
tallyram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirex View Post
Well here is a good comparison for you. My LHS owner bought an XRAY 809. All parts included were good from the factory and the build to my knowledge went without a hitch. I bought an RC8B and had 2 defective parts and stripped 2 screws going into plastic while assembling.

XRAY + 1 AE 0

I called customer service and spoke to Don, and my parts are on the way. No questions, no hassle. Have not heard the same with XRAY (HUDY)

XRAY 0 AE +1

While not nessacarily the same thing I race an RC8T vs everything else at the track. At the end of the day, other then engine problems, I have completed every race. I have seen XRAYs, Losis, Kyosho's, Tamiya, and Mugens break before my RC8T. Only issues I have ever had with the RC8T were the rear hub carriers (fixed with alum ones, no breaks since) and the hinge pins bending (while this has not ended the race, it is annoying, but according to others the new "gold" hinge pins do not bend as easily. And before someone says well those are upgrades, the Factory XRAY blah blah blah... remember the XRAY costs almost $100 more, so factor in a few FT parts and they are even.

So IMHO

XRAY +1 AE +1

Driving impression. I feel this is more of how each driver's style and setup impacts the car. I love how my RC8T handles, and am really not fond of the Losi ( to me it feels like that car with way too much power steering and no road feel) I have not driven an XRAY.

So the reality. All cars break, all cars handle differently for any given driver.

But it comes down to parts costs, parts availabilty, setup support, setup options (because frankly there are cars that no matter what you do will handle a certain way), and if YOU like it, who cares what others think...
you forgot to add. Many parts from the RC8B will work with your RC8T. But no parts from the 808 or 809 will work with the XT8.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #18
Tech Prophet

yes the rc8 usually breaks when there a bad driver or somebody who drives it to hard the rc8b looks tougher and has the upgraded parts on it,but seeing the rc8 did keep be from buying it, there was one guy at my track that had a xray 808 and it looked good it rotated really good and steer really good the thing that kept we away from buying one is cause the hobby stores carry there parts i they dint come out with a new cars so much i know they would carry there parts so i got a losi eight 1.0 and drives good did have to change the setup though it defily does have a whole lot of onpower steering the slo in the steering is what drives me a little crazy ,does the xray drive like the losi eight maybe il get one next year or so
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigedmond View Post
you forgot to add. Many parts from the RC8B will work with your RC8T. But no parts from the 808 or 809 will work with the XT8.

Not true a bunch of parts carry over.
Everything you need for a brushless.........Hyperion, Tekin and RC Monster.........we are stocking all of the best!!!!!!!
jnfweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #20
Tech Prophet

then why dont most hobby stores local ones carry there parts then
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
That is like asking why Pep Boys doesn't carry parts for a Porsche.

Local parts support is severly overrated imho. The nice thing about the xrays is that you rarely ever need that parts support since the car doesn't break very often. I have only one DNF (qualifier) in all of '09 from a broken part on an 808. I had a spare... it had been unopened in my pit box for nearly a year. the only parts I have replaced on the 808 have been front arms since they tend to warp a little instead of break. I didn't have to replace them, but just felt like it - I think the Losi guys call this "slop".

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

one of my friends got a rc8b kit when they came out, it was missing the shock towers, and hinge pin holders, it took over a month to get the parts to him, so basically had a new kit that he couldnt use
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Darn it, since its between the two - I wont suggest "LOSI 2.0" I just wont say it.

You know I would have picked the "LOSI 2.0"

But since the LOSI 2.0 is not up for debate then I would hands down pick the XRAY (nice car) over the LOSI 2.0
Old 10-07-2009, 10:22 AM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have both and they are both great rides.

The RC8 seems to suit the more aggressive driver and is a fast car. The Plastics on the RC8 seems to wear quickly so if you do not maintain plastics you will develop alot of slop which will lead to breakage. RC8 drivetrain is solid. I never DNF from breakage. Parts Highly Available

The Xray seems smoother to me and you can finesse it around rather than being aggressive with it. Very tough car and you can go gallons without any plastic slop developing. They use the Hudy Spring Steel which is top shelf. Most LHS do not carry the parts because the markup is not as great as other mfgs..

I do not own a Losi buggy but have an L8ight for dirt oval and love it.

You can not go wrong with any of these. Something to consider is parts availability. Especially on a race day.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
As an Xray dealer I can tell you that part sales for Xray suck the car does not break.

As a person who drives Xray cars I love the fact that it does not break.

The most common part sold for the 808 is the driveshaft pins and front arms. Most local shops do not carry parts becasue they want stuff on the wall that moves. They would rather spen $1000 on Traxxas parts because they will sell way more of those. It all comes down to turns on inventor.
Everything you need for a brushless.........Hyperion, Tekin and RC Monster.........we are stocking all of the best!!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #26
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kuruption

I'm guessing the quality of driver has a huge impact on whether parts break or not. In my case, the first couple race weekends after I bought my RC8T, I had all kinds of things break, bend and need to be replaced. Why? Because I spent more time on my lid than on my wheels. As I learned to drive better, I am breaking fewer parts.

In fact, the only thing I've had to replace in the last 4 race weekends has been 2 bearings in my rear diff because I didn't tighten the screws enough, and the diff blew up. Oh, and there was the engine, but that's not related to the kit.

The 808 may be a better kit, in fact, I'm betting it is... but I bet if you had given me an 808 2 months ago when I bought my RC8T, I would have broken it and have had to replace just as many parts.

So I'm betting there is a correlation between how much you're willing to spend on a kit vs how long you've been in the hobby and how good you believe your driving is.

I believe that no matter the kit, a good driver is a good driver... and better drivers break fewer parts.
kuruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #27
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruption View Post
I'm guessing the quality of driver has a huge impact on whether parts break or not. In my case, the first couple race weekends after I bought my RC8T, I had all kinds of things break, bend and need to be replaced. Why? Because I spent more time on my lid than on my wheels. As I learned to drive better, I am breaking fewer parts.

In fact, the only thing I've had to replace in the last 4 race weekends has been 2 bearings in my rear diff because I didn't tighten the screws enough, and the diff blew up. Oh, and there was the engine, but that's not related to the kit.

The 808 may be a better kit, in fact, I'm betting it is... but I bet if you had given me an 808 2 months ago when I bought my RC8T, I would have broken it and have had to replace just as many parts.

So I'm betting there is a correlation between how much you're willing to spend on a kit vs how long you've been in the hobby and how good you believe your driving is.

I believe that no matter the kit, a good driver is a good driver... and better drivers break fewer parts.
Not totaly true because I have hit everything but the pace car and the thing does not break.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Good info here on the Xray. I will say that I have been pretty brutal with my RC8 and have had no real breaks. I did bent the front shock standoffs, the RC8B upgraded these from aluminum to steel. I also bent one of the front CVD shafts but didn't break an arm or anything. It has been a solid car for me. I'm at the point where all of the bearings need to be replaced, want to do all the "B" upgrades, and a new body. By the time I do all that, I might as well buy a new kit.
Sounds like everyone who has touched both the RC8 and XRAY easily prefer the XRAY. Well I guess I'll see how bad my wife is going to freak out when I tell her I'm dropping $1,200 on a new car, radio, and servos.
pickle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Do it the easy way, just don't tell her.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Had a RC8 since it came out. Bought a 808 when it came out. Couldnt get the steering I had with the RC8. Sold the 808 after 3 races and bought a new RC8. Been running it ever since. As they came available I upgraded to all the RC8B parts (big improvement). Planning on getting a new RC8B for 2010.