Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Leaking 8ight fuel tank >

Leaking 8ight fuel tank

Leaking 8ight fuel tank

Old 10-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Leaking 8ight fuel tank

I just picked up a used 8ight that is in very good shape... After banging on it all weekend (almost a gallon of fuel in 2 days LOL) i see that there is a leak in the tank, but I cannot find it. I am having a hard time figuring out where the leak is coming from since I cannot tell whether it is the fuel line entering the tank through the hole in the side of the tank or if it is a crack in that general area. Has anyone run into this? I am gonna try replacing the fuel line to see if it fits tighter in the port through the side, but figured I might ask if there is anyone has had this issue and might have figured something out already.

Thanks!

Bob
Old 10-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by orcusomega
I just picked up a used 8ight that is in very good shape... After banging on it all weekend (almost a gallon of fuel in 2 days LOL) i see that there is a leak in the tank, but I cannot find it. I am having a hard time figuring out where the leak is coming from since I cannot tell whether it is the fuel line entering the tank through the hole in the side of the tank or if it is a crack in that general area. Has anyone run into this? I am gonna try replacing the fuel line to see if it fits tighter in the port through the side, but figured I might ask if there is anyone has had this issue and might have figured something out already.

Thanks!

Bob

All BS aside - just get a new tank, yo - problem solved - it could be severl things, but a new tank wil fix the problem
Old 10-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcusomega

Thanks!

Bob

i always take my tank off put it under water and hold the fuel lines out of the water and blow thru the exhaust and plug the other with my thumb and i can usually always find the leak.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

+1 just replace it
Old 10-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 107 (100%+)

mine was leaking where the 2 halves are glued together.

toss it get a new one!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Very common on the Losi's. Throw a couple tanks in your pit bag.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If the new tank does not cure the problem then pay attention to the heat in the carburetor. If the carb is too hot the fuel will boil/bubble backwards from the carb. It will look like air bubbles in the line.

I found this problem when breaking in GRP tuned 21's. When I preheated the engine the carb would get hot enough to boil the fuel as it entered the carb. Had to use a damp rag to cover the carb while preheating. After that the engine fired up and idled perfectly.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am gonna get a new one today and use the old one to see if i can mount it in my TMaxx - i like the extra capacity and the design of the pick-up in the tank - should help me keep it running when ut lands on its lid . If I can make it fit, then i will get another new one for the TMaxx.
Bob
Old 10-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sickboy
Very common on the Losi's. Throw a couple tanks in your pit bag.

Not common at ALL....ive been 3 year's and ive NEVER EVER personally seen a tank fail....NOR has there been a Single pic of these "split" tanks.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:26 PM
8T
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Integra
Not common at ALL....ive been 3 year's and ive NEVER EVER personally seen a tank fail....NOR has there been a Single pic of these "split" tanks.
Funny, i have 4 tanks from an 8, and 3 from an 8t. All are split at the seam. At first i thought that the tanks were hitting the chassis, but that's not the case. Bad sonic welds. At my local track(hotrod hobbies) I have seen quite a few folks with tank issues. I can send some to ya if you want to look at one first hand!
Old 10-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8T
Funny, i have 4 tanks from an 8, and 3 from an 8t. All are split at the seam. At first i thought that the tanks were hitting the chassis, but that's not the case. Bad sonic welds. At my local track(hotrod hobbies) I have seen quite a few folks with tank issues. I can send some to ya if you want to look at one first hand!

Sure but you dont need to send em just take some pics please......but every other time ive asked to see these split tank's they all say. " oh i threw it out....or i never took a pic and switched brands already or something to that effect"

Im Not stating it Cant happen....cuz we all know some guys beat the SNOT out of their car's and wonder why they break parts....BUT i was stating it is Not a Common problem....at least not from what ive seen/experienced.....you can see the little white stress marks on the mounts...but i guess like you said bad sonic welds at the seams could definitely lead to a failed tank but for the 10-15 8ight's locally plus the other 100's ive seen at out of town race's ive never seen it happen so thats why im so skeptical of guys saying its a common issue....not trying to argue here just stating it from how i see it.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 8T
I have been running the 8's since they first came out. You ask anyone that knows me or have seen me drive - I break the hell out of my stuff - but since have had the 8's
2 8B
2 8T
1 8B 2.0
2 8T 2.0

I have broken one fuel tank which was my fault. I was holding the truggy by a zip tie attached to the lid of the tank..... I even have one brand new one I brought almost 2.5 years ago and never used it.....it is not a common part, I have not seen many break here and we race between 4 tracks....
Old 10-06-2009, 04:22 PM
8T
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Integra
Sure but you dont need to send em just take some pics please......but every other time ive asked to see these split tank's they all say. " oh i threw it out....or i never took a pic and switched brands already or something to that effect"

Im Not stating it Cant happen....cuz we all know some guys beat the SNOT out of their car's and wonder why they break parts....BUT i was stating it is Not a Common problem....at least not from what ive seen/experienced.....you can see the little white stress marks on the mounts...but i guess like you said bad sonic welds at the seams could definitely lead to a failed tank but for the 10-15 8ight's locally plus the other 100's ive seen at out of town race's ive never seen it happen so thats why im so skeptical of guys saying its a common issue....not trying to argue here just stating it from how i see it.
No worries. Just seen this happen to me(i race expert truggy at Hotrod) and my son(races expert buggy), and a few others. Maybe a local thing. Not sure. What i CAN tell you is that we run V-specs, and when the tune goes wacky, the first thing we do now is replace the tank. 99% of the time, problem solved. When i got home the first time i had this issue, i pressurised the tank underwater and got air bubbles coming from the seam. Next time we had the same tuning issue, replaced tank and again checked when we got home and more bubbles from the seam. I thought that the tank might be hitting the chassis on landing from the bigger jumps, but had no wear marks on the bottom or sides of the tanks. We also had problems with the cap not sealing well. That's why Losi redesigned the tank lids. We get LOTS of pro's that run at Hotrod. They knew about it when i asked what was up with the tanks. Said to send them to Losi and they will replace them.(still sitting in a box) Haven't had a problem for awhile, so maybe they fixed the issue!
Old 10-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8T
No worries. Just seen this happen to me(i race expert truggy at Hotrod) and my son(races expert buggy), and a few others. Maybe a local thing. Not sure. What i CAN tell you is that we run V-specs, and when the tune goes wacky, the first thing we do now is replace the tank. 99% of the time, problem solved. When i got home the first time i had this issue, i pressurised the tank underwater and got air bubbles coming from the seam. Next time we had the same tuning issue, replaced tank and again checked when we got home and more bubbles from the seam. I thought that the tank might be hitting the chassis on landing from the bigger jumps, but had no wear marks on the bottom or sides of the tanks. We also had problems with the cap not sealing well. That's why Losi redesigned the tank lids. We get LOTS of pro's that run at Hotrod. They knew about it when i asked what was up with the tanks. Said to send them to Losi and they will replace them.(still sitting in a box) Haven't had a problem for awhile, so maybe they fixed the issue!

When my 2.0 was new the tank absolutely split down the seam after not much run time. Just this past sunday my tune was goofy,running lean (lean bog) I couldnt get it right after a while of messin with it. Finally I put in my spare tank and new fuel lines and problem was solved instantly. It could have been the cap leaking or something else, because there was know sign of fuel leaking and know visible cracks or holes in the lines. I will always keep an extra tank or two in the box.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I bought a brand new one because my old one split. The first time i pulled the lid up, the whole top of the tank came off cleanly. I have seen the losi team drivers use a solder gun to melt the seam better before they install them.
Its a crap shoot with the tanks, if you get a good one, it will last a long time. However, there are alot of bad tanks out there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.