R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Track rights - family vs newbie vs experts - how do you balance it all? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/333129-track-rights-family-vs-newbie-vs-experts-how-do-you-balance-all.html)

orcusomega 10-05-2009 09:29 AM

Track rights - family vs newbie vs experts - how do you balance it all?

OK, I will preface this post with the following caveat - I am NOT an expert, I would love to be one but that is a long time off so I am practicing as best I can. I am also a single father - I have two boys, one of which I am trying to introduce to the hobby, and my g/f's daughter who is also taking an interest. To that end, I would like them to know how to drive a car, how to learn respect not just for the equipment, but for others at the track, how to earn their keep in marshalling, etc.

OK, so here's the dilemma:

On the weekends, the crowd at the track is generally there for fun - they run around the track, not particularly serious, just for having a good time. I try to bring the gang to the track during this time, when there may be other kids there, when the audience is not a bunch of pros, etc.

I have run into a few situations, where I was at the track essentially alone, or with another family, and a driver arrives and gets overtly pissed that they can't do real track racing because the kids are on the track. Since prior to their arrival, the only ones there were kids, so they were running around the track behind their cars (more like jogging - not running like nuts, but keeping pace with their cars behind them so they could see what they were doing).

--EDIT -- THE KIDS ARE ONLY ON THE TRACK WHEN NO ONE ELSE IS!!!

The folks I generally run into who are more seriously track-minded are very cool with the kids, even stopping their serious running and teaching the kids instead of driving their own cars - its an awesome sight! But it really gets under my skin when someone expects us all to get off the track because they want to practice for a race.

Now, I can see all sides of the situation:

1) The RACER wants to use the RACE track to practice for their RACE.
2) The non-racers want to use the track to have a good time - they are not disrespectful or obnoxious, but are driving M/T's on the track (correct diretion, but not fast, etc) which slows the pace of the track potentially.
3) The families want to use the track to teach the kids how to use their cars, how to drive, etc in a respectful manner, but obviously different pace since the drivers are kids.

OK! So here is where I throw rocks at the bee's nest - who wins? :)

My opinion - if you get to the track, and the pace is whatever, you have no right to change it or expect it to change just because you want. If the racers are practicing seriously, and I can't drive without making a serious issue, then we move on. On the other hand, if we are having a fun-run, then the racer's can't expect US to change either :)

Flame on :)

Bob

pickle311 10-05-2009 09:35 AM

Only people that should be on the track are the corner marshals. Anyone letting their kid run behind their car is asking for them to get hurt. I know when I'm driving I can't see everything that's going on. I focus on my car and the next section. Things happen very fast, faster than most people can react to, especially a child following their car. It's a race track and should be treated that way.
Only options I see are for the kids to drive from the stand like they should, or run a split practice where it's kids only for a little while then racers only.

Zerodefect 10-05-2009 09:38 AM

No better race practice than a completley unpredictable meandering Revo.

If you can play keep away with moster trucks than traffic during a race should be cake. Good time to practice looking ahead of your car on the fast sections instead of only at your car.

Any expert racer that can't make it around slow cars isn't much of a "expert", are they.

PERSONALLY, I THINK THE NEWBIES AND KIDS SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY.

Except on race day. There is plenty of time for us to practice on race day when the track is closed to non-racers.

orcusomega 10-05-2009 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by pickle311 (Post 6431178)
Only people that should be on the track are the corner marshals. Anyone letting their kid run behind their car is asking for them to get hurt. I know when I'm driving I can't see everything that's going on. I focus on my car and the next section. Things happen very fast, faster than most people can react to, especially a child following their car. It's a race track and should be treated that way.
Only options I see are for the kids to drive from the stand like they should, or run a split practice where it's kids only for a little while then racers only.

Thanks for the feedback!

In the instance I was referring to, the particulars were it was a weekday evening, and the "kids" are 7-12 - they were pretty much the only folks on the track. To put it in perspective, this particular track is well hidden and NOT particularly busy, so the track volume is typically very low. In this case, two of the kids were mine - and two were someone else's. My two had the 1/16 ERevo out, and where following it to see where it was going, but there was nothing on the track to get hit by - but I totally see your point as well. If there is a lot of traffic on the track, then they don't go on to it AT ALL (unless to flip a car, etc if there is no volunteer marshal).

Bob

Colors_By_Dave 10-05-2009 09:45 AM

If the track owner doesn't control the people on the track, it's a bad situation.

As for racers mixing with beginers, the should look for better opportunities, like when the new folks are taking a break. There should be some level of cooperation between groups, and drivers of like skill level will be on the track at the same time. Drive a tank, marhsall a tank worth of time. Simple.

token 10-05-2009 09:49 AM

Is this a public track like a park, or is this a track where they race?

Are you teaching your kids as a racer or basher - (big difference)?

I’m sorry but regardless of the track one thing I think is important is Safety - if a child is on the track in the lanes jogging, running, walking, skipping behind their car that is not appropriate. If this is a RC track then there should be a drivers stand. That’s where they should learn to drive from, especially if others are coming to practice.
Would you like your kids to get hit by a non-experienced driver. My son for example who run 1/8 buggy. He is not the best driver but hes learning. Are you saying that my son or a beginner needs to wait til the kids to get off the track before they run, just because they were there first. You want to teach them respect, well part of that would be, telling them that others are coming, and to use the drivers stand. And as a racer, I totally disagree with the “if you get to the track, and the pace is whatever, you have no right to change it or expect it to change just because you want.”

If someone is faster than you – they are suppose to wait?

If everyone is using the drivers stand – then the fast guys will just have to drive around the kids of the Newbs. I like that better because it teaches me patience’s and how to drive.

That’s my thought

toybreaker 10-05-2009 09:57 AM

Awesome you are getting your kids into it. RC racing is a great catalyst for my son and I.

Kids running on the track is generally bad regardless of the traffic. Twisted ankles are as likely as getting whacked in the knee or the head by an 8th scale.

"Experts or Pros" - the expert or pro needs to quit whining, man up, and be an ambassador for the sport not a PITA as so many are. All you pros that DONT act like Drake, Cavalieri, or Maifield need to take some PR lessons from these guys. (obviously a sore spot with me) for the sport to grow the new folks have to feel welcomed.

allan42r 10-05-2009 10:09 AM

walmart doesnt want the kids running around = kids get hurt.
why would someone let their kid run around on a track with some cars that can weigh 7,8 lbs and go, what does the jato do 70? :rolleyes:
sounds like the kids are just having fun, but everyone else should just go home because the parents found a new baby sitter?

orcusomega 10-05-2009 10:14 AM

Based on this situation, that is sort of why I started my older son on the T-MAXX - it is something he can easily see from the driver's stand and get used to remote driving. His current issue is he gets mixed up when the truck is not driving away from him. But that is more easily addressed with a larger truck he can see more clearly.

I really need to put my son in the stand and me as his marshal and get a set of walkie-talkies so I can give him instructions from the track while he is in the driver's stand. Maybe get him a headset so he can hear me while I am talking to him, but not bother other folks on the stand.

Man, I am glad I asked this question - I am getting some good ideas!

Keep 'em coming :)

Bob

rider313 10-05-2009 10:16 AM

the track owner could setup a practice schedule. like a 30 min for racers/experts, then 30 min for beginers/ playdrivers. kinda like a motocross practice were they have differnt classes to keep it safe.

orcusomega 10-05-2009 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by allan42r (Post 6431334)
walmart doesnt want the kids running around = kids get hurt.
why would someone let their kid run around on a track with some cars that can weigh 7,8 lbs and go, what does the jato do 70? :rolleyes:
sounds like the kids are just having fun, but everyone else should just go home because the parents found a new baby sitter?

LOL I was trying to be clear - they are following their cars, and ONLY when there is no one else on the track - the point I was trying to make, and folks have latched onto the "running" on the track part, was understanding general "rules of the road (track)".

Let me add the following: We have been to the track a BUNCH of times where we simply sat and watched because it was not safe or appropriate for us (myself included as a newbie) to be on the track. The explanation was more for explanation than for approval.

Thanks!

Bob

orcusomega 10-05-2009 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by rider313 (Post 6431358)
the track owner could setup a practice schedule. like a 30 min for racers/experts, then 30 min for beginers/ playdrivers. kinda like a motocross practice were they have differnt classes to keep it safe.

Also a good idea! Unfortunately, the track and the LHS are about a mile apart, so that would be difficult to police, but a great idea for general guidelines.

I am going to be stopping by today to get a new tank for my 8, so I will bring it up to them when I am there...

Bob

token 10-05-2009 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by orcusomega (Post 6431354)
Based on this situation, that is sort of why I started my older son on the T-MAXX - it is something he can easily see from the driver's stand and get used to remote driving. His current issue is he gets mixed up when the truck is not driving away from him. But that is more easily addressed with a larger truck he can see more clearly.

I really need to put my son in the stand and me as his marshal and get a set of walkie-talkies so I can give him instructions from the track while he is in the driver's stand. Maybe get him a headset so he can hear me while I am talking to him, but not bother other folks on the stand.

Man, I am glad I asked this question - I am getting some good ideas!

Keep 'em coming :)

Bob

thats how my son learned to drive. I would run a few tanks and have him pit for me, and when Im done, I pit and marshal for him. It took him about 2 tanks to understand the direction from the drivers stand and about a month to understand throttle control.

All in all its a great father and son hobby - but the drivers stand is where they should be regardless. and the pro guys just need to go around.

MotoGod 10-05-2009 10:24 AM

We have a club track, so our volume is medium I would say. We get a mix of people from an older crowd there to just blow some cobwebs off, some younger kids just getting into the hobby, and some serious racers.

We generally share the track very very well on practice days (which are everyday!). The slower guys do their thing...the faster guys do their thing and we all just get along. If I want to go out there and do some race pace laps....I'm going to do them. If there is a slower kid on the track....that just means more lapped traffic practice for me (and I'm not all that serious a racer). If I can't get by a 7 year old driving a Rustler or a Monster Truck....I'm going to be screwed come race day anyway.

If they are truly an obstacle....I will pull off the track and wait for them to need fuel or a battery recharge and then go back out. Heck I'll even go turn marshall for em while I wait. Not typically a big deal either way.

We're all friends....and we all share the same hobby interest. No need to get anyone's panties in a bunch. If I genuinely have a problem with a kid driver, like he keeps taking me out....or he just can't drive at all....I'll either try to help him...or go talk to the adult that he came with and work something out.

Just treat others like you would want to be treated and it all works out. Imagine your own kid being the obstacle out there...and how you would want him or her treated by other drivers...and do the same to someone else's kids.

Just my 02 cents....

RacerScott 10-05-2009 10:26 AM

I agree, kids cannot be running around the track during practice, its just a dangerous situation and a bad idea all together. If a "expert" shows up to run hot laps (more like race simulations), you should respect him and tell your kids to get off the track, its just common sense and respect. People pay money and travel just to practice.