R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #31
Tech Elite

No one should be on the track except for marshals......... during practice or races, I have seen way to many people hurt being places they shouldnt.

I once saw a person standing on pitlane driving guess what - he go f'ed up when one of the pro came flying in...........

Bottom line your not suppose to be there - go stand on a go kart track while they are practicing. thats like telling your kids, well if you cant see go stand in the street - you can see better......

C'mon guys use common sense
Old 10-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

In my replies, I was NOT condoning kids walking on the track while cars are running laps by the way. There is no place for a kid on the track....I even cringe when I see kids under 14 or so turn marshalling for the 1/8th Nitros at my local track.

Get on he driver's stand...run your rig as fast or as slow as you want...just be safe. No matter what the age....
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #33
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrace View Post
That's too bad right there. As a "Pro" driver myself, I really try to make sure that those "RTR" guys have as much help as possible. There is nothing worse for our hobby than some Pro guy who thinks he is too good to help out the beginners. We were all beginners once and if you can help out other beginners it will just make your particular track flourish. I think anyone should be allowed to drive on the track as long is they aren't driving a car that demolishes the track (like a 1/5 scale). There absolutely should not be kids running around the track when others are practicing as that is a recipe for disaster. If they want to drive from the stand...great.
I like your attitude please spread it around, your knowledge is so important to the newb's. Thanks.
The Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #34
Tech Addict

Sometimes on our local track, when only Mr. B's there practicing( he is very, very fast) I will turn my 100lb rottwieler loose to chase him and ask him"Are you faster than a rottweiler?" The first time I did it he was scared to death my Rottweiler (DONKEY) was gonna eat his car. It was funny!!! He did not see me and didn't know i even had a dog. Priceless. But I am very much for teaching and sharing. I also respect parents who keep their kids under control.Running on the track behind their cars .... maybe like me running down Mr. B. If nobody else is trying to run... heck yeah let them run and play, if someone else comes around pull em off the track and tell em to share the track. When they get older they'll already know how to share.
Joey Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #35
Tech Elite

I remember that.

Kids love the Donkey show! Funny as ofna. If you go slow enough he won't jump the pipes and he'll actually follow the layout of the track.

Doesn't eat cars, but he did eat that Mugen guy from Japan.

I'm a tad surprized at all the "get your stupid kids off the track" comments. Its an open day in the park. The track isn't groomed anyway so your highspeed practice is completely worthless. Save the hot laps for race day. Get to the track early on race day and you should have plenty of prctice time.

Really friendly places these RC tracks are.

Its up to the driver to realize that running hot is a bit unresponsible with kids and newbs around. But that should be expected at a public track. Keep it under control at 80%.

It seems on practice days it all works out anyway and eventually everyone gets in synch. Usually a bunch of 1/8th will go out for 10min then pull in and the 1/10th gnats and newbs go out.

I think we're getting a bit carried away with our toy car raceing when we complain about newbs on the track WHEN IT ISN'T EVEN A RACE DAY.

Give the kids a break and chill out and share the track. Take your Slash for a spin or something.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

Hey Bob, interesting thread you started. I won't repeat the obvious common sense items that most people have chimed in on but would like to mention something. I know you said several times for clarification that your kids are only on the track chasing their own cars if no one else is using the track. I am not sure how your local area track is constructed, but even that could be a safety hazard.

When I am turnmarshalling, I have seen broken PVC pipes that are used to create the track with sharp angles and edges. Also, sometimes the spikes that are used to hold the pipes into play are pulled out and sticking up. I would hate for a kid to accidentally trip and fall onto a sharp edge of a PVC pipe or spike sticking up. My point is that there are alot of dangers in your kids running around the track besides getting hit by a car.

Now, with that said, I would like to be redundant about one thing many have said. If you are following track rules, then you and your kids have ever right to be on the driver stand regardless of your experience level. Open practice is just that; open practice for everyone. Racers that don't want to run while less experience guys are on the stand can wait until those drivers take a break or practice during closed practice sessions. Your entitled to enjoy the track as much as the next guy as long as it is being used the way it was designed to be used. (insert other drivers recommendations here such as driving the right way, not stopping on the track etc...)

Oh, and by the way, I am a racer but share the stand with everyone.
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:24 AM   #37
Tech Initiate

Quote:
No one should be on the track except for marshals......... during practice or races
So... by the original posters original comment (below), its apparent that it is a slow practice day. Does this mean that on a slow day, like what was originally described... that a pro driver himself is not allow on the track, much like my kid is not allowed on the track?

On a slow day, there aren't going to be marshalls. On a slow day, Every One is going to be walking the track. Is it also assumed that the Pro's who complain (on a slow day) that he will be walking down to the track to flip his own vehicle?

"Allowed on the track" and playing on the track are two totally different things. I think the original poster was somewhat letting his kids play on the track, but for everyone to say that kids are not "allowed on the track" should only be determined by if that kid bought the right to the track by paying the small track fee.

And no, I wouldn't allow my kids to follow behind their vehicles like what everyone is talking about, but if I pay that small track fee... then my kids ARE allowed on the track in the same capacity that a Pro driver is allowed on the track. That is the deciding factor...

Note the original posters comment:

Quote:
On the weekends, the crowd at the track is generally there for fun - they run around the track, not particularly serious, just for having a good time. I try to bring the gang to the track during this time, when there may be other kids there, when the audience is not a bunch of pros, etc.

I have run into a few situations, where I was at the track essentially alone
saki2fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:02 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey Bob

sidenote -
interesting thread you started as it highlights how easily topics go south and points get missed - as you noticed, the first guy actually missed the true substance of your message, which was "how does it work at your track between the noobs and the pros" and picked up on how your kids shouldn't be running on the track... he's got a point, he just missed the core one And then almost everyone started howling with the wolves "no no no your kids should really not run on the track, ever"... again, they're right but they're missing the point, all, together as one man. Gotta love the internet.
- end of sidenote

At the tracks I attend, the schedule kinda works out by itself. The noobs are scared when the pros run and they also understand that they're putting everyone's car at risk, likewise, the pros sure don't want to run at the same time as the noobs (by noobs I mean those who still mistake brake for throttle and left for right sometimes, and by "pros" i mean those who can run 5 laps without making a mistake and within, say, 2s from lap to lap) So there are natural cycles during the day, and when the pros run, the noobs watch and learn, and when the noobs run, the pros typically marshall them or wrench on their own cars...

There's always a jerk that complains "that this is a racetrack for chrissakes, keep the noobs away from it", but it doesn't take long for the audience to naturally group and kindly explain that person that he might want to bring his attitude back at home shall he still want to run here

We all enjoy the same hobby - it's great you take your kids to the track!

Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #39
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kuruption

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABURTON View Post
so are you going to walk in a new track while practice is going on? The thing Bob mentioned I think is not the fact that his kids "cars" are on the track, its his KIDS along with the cars on the track walking behind them. If someone has a issue with Bob's kids "CARS" being on the track then they need to get over it....

I have seen a 5 year old get hit because his parents let him do the same very thing. He was hit in the head by a 10 pound truggy, busted his head open, he went went into a seizure and lost vision in one eye(somewhat). It's not a real good thing to see.

A race track is for "all to use". But they make a driverstand for a reason and most tracks have rules and charge entry fees. anyone is free to "walk" the track just not during practice or racing....
Didn't say it was during practice or racing... I think what Bob was pointing to is not necessary a race day or race weekend, but a random day during the week... who has priority?

I try to get to the track early so I can walk the track... when I know others won't be there (or least, very few others). My point is that if I get to the track early and start walking the track, it doesn't mean that I have to get off the second someone wants to practice.

What it comes down to is two important points most people have seem to lost these days: common courtesy and personal responsibility. I know, tough concepts, but I encourage everyone to work on them.

If you can't give someone 5 minutes, you just may be a jackass.
If you tell someone to f*** off because you think what you're doing is more important, you just may be a jackass.
If you're sitting on a track while a bunch of hard objects are traveling at high rates of speed around you, you just may be a dumbass.
kuruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:54 AM   #40
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruption View Post
Didn't say it was during practice or racing... I think what Bob was pointing to is not necessary a race day or race weekend, but a random day during the week... who has priority?

I try to get to the track early so I can walk the track... when I know others won't be there (or least, very few others). My point is that if I get to the track early and start walking the track, it doesn't mean that I have to get off the second someone wants to practice.

What it comes down to is two important points most people have seem to lost these days: common courtesy and personal responsibility. I know, tough concepts, but I encourage everyone to work on them.

If you can't give someone 5 minutes, you just may be a jackass.
If you tell someone to f*** off because you think what you're doing is more important, you just may be a jackass.
If you're sitting on a track while a bunch of hard objects are traveling at high rates of speed around you, you just may be a dumbass.
Umm...yeah...if you hear me firing up my car I would hope you would get the point that someone is about to start running. Get in a marshal lane or off to the side of the track cuz someone is actually going to start using the track. If Im sitting there waiting 30 minutes for you to do your "walking laps" from the middle of the track, which you could easily do from the other side of the pipe, I'm going to ask if you mind if I go. You might actually learn more about the layout if you see someone using it.

Last edited by midwestcajun; 10-06-2009 at 11:07 AM.
midwestcajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by saki2fifty View Post
So... by the original posters original comment (below), its apparent that it is a slow practice day. Does this mean that on a slow day, like what was originally described... that a pro driver himself is not allow on the track, much like my kid is not allowed on the track?

On a slow day, there aren't going to be marshalls. On a slow day, Every One is going to be walking the track. Is it also assumed that the Pro's who complain (on a slow day) that he will be walking down to the track to flip his own vehicle?

"Allowed on the track" and playing on the track are two totally different things. I think the original poster was somewhat letting his kids play on the track, but for everyone to say that kids are not "allowed on the track" should only be determined by if that kid bought the right to the track by paying the small track fee.

And no, I wouldn't allow my kids to follow behind their vehicles like what everyone is talking about, but if I pay that small track fee... then my kids ARE allowed on the track in the same capacity that a Pro driver is allowed on the track. That is the deciding factor...

Note the original posters comment:
NOt a problem but when that child - gets his head busted or leg broke from being "allowed" on the track, its not the drivers fault.

The "pro" driver that goes on the track to "flip' his car over knows what to look out for - know to watch out for traffic, and will "not" hold up traffic being "allowed" on the track.

I think you are reading to much into the word allow and "missing" the "whole point".

The point "I" think is saftey. People are not allowed on the track for saftey reasons. Kids should not be "allowed" on the track....... I dont care who kids they are. You guys have to realize that when your on the stand driving, your not looking out for kids - people or other cars. You are looking at your car and your car only.

bottom line is: When there is anyother person at a track - stay off the track.................
Old 10-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Kids running on the track is a bad idea regardless of situation (I cant think of any tracks where this permissible actually).

If they're on the drivers standing running around the track (the right direction as stated) they have every right to do so. Open practice is OPEN; good drivers will find a way around them and bad drivers will learn how to get around them.
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
Kids running on the track is a bad idea regardless of situation (I cant think of any tracks where this permissible actually).

If they're on the drivers standing running around the track (the right direction as stated) they have every right to do so. Open practice is OPEN; good drivers will find a way around them and bad drivers will learn how to get around them.
+1
Old 10-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #44
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to orcusomega

WOW - first of all - excuse the forthcoming caps I am not trying to be rude, just make the point I have been trying to make all along

1) I AM NOT LETTING THE KIDS RUN WILLY-NILLY ON THE TRACK.
2) THIS IS NOT A "PRACTICE" DAY - JUST SOME RANDOM DAY WHERE NOTHING IS SCHEDULED
3) FORGET THE KIDS ON THE TRACK - FOCUS ON HOW TO SHARE THE TRACK

Ah! Glad I got that off my chest

I have run into a few other folks over the last few days - one very skilled driver who put his car in the pits and marshalled for me and gave me VERY good pointers.

On a different day, there was a skilled driver who wanted to do fast laps but when he found the family crowd, got pissy because he wanted things to himself.

Anyways, game on

Bob
orcusomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #45
Tech Elite

1. good
2. Does it have to be posted as a practice day for people to come practice?
3. Sharing the track, well run your practice – if the driver is a good as they say, then you will not have a problem, the good driver will just go around…. That’s the best sharing that’s going to happen. Pissy racers suck……… and I would not have my kids move for them, let them throw a tanturm