Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Track rights - family vs newbie vs experts - how do you balance it all? >

Track rights - family vs newbie vs experts - how do you balance it all?

Track rights - family vs newbie vs experts - how do you balance it all?

Old 10-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

People also pay money and travel to go have fun with their kids....
Old 10-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I'll throw in my 2 cents since I'm a newbie to racing and this site.

I would say if your the only one at the track do as you want as long as them being on the track isnt ruining it. As soon as someone else shows up then its time to fall into the regular track rules which would be just marshals on the track I'm sure. If its open practice than anyone can drive on the track, the pros and the newb's. Couldnt think of a better way for the pros to practice than having to dodge the newb's.

I'm getting back into this hobby after being out for several years and I would have to say that the "pros or experts" are a big turn off and not very helpful. Most seem to have the opinion that the rtr and begginner models are bad and get angry when they are around. Its to bad they cant see the benefits these rtr models bring to the hoby as a whole.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Prophet

well u cant have kids running around the track with 1/8 truggys espially i hate it to when guys dont wont u there im talking about the quote pros at local tracks if anything that will really hurt your turnout,at my track if we see u tuneing your car on the parking lot or haveing kids run on the track when people are running or just being on the track goofing around we will sayesomething to u people will sue u even though it was there own fault for hurting them self while turnmashing or other things
Old 10-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

This reminds me of biking at the skate park. If im trying to do a line around the park, and a little kid unknowingly gets in my way, the first time I hope he realizes what's going on.

2nd or 3rd time?

I tend to get kinda serious with there parents (if the parents are even there ) I dont wanna hit the kid most importantly. But to travel 30 minutes to a out of town park, work like heck, then have a little kid ruin the line ive been trying to film all day?

useless.

Its kinda like the track. If your fast, you can get by the kids racing on the track. But I hate little kids running around the track. Its a safety thing!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Obviously I'm not the first to say that kids should not be on the track when there are vehicles present. I should add that kids will be kids and no matter how disciplined they may be, there will be times when they simply don't get off the track when another vehicle is put down. It is best to teach every kid that visits the track that the track is for turn marshals only, AT ALL TIMES, PERIOD.

When it comes to practicing. By all means, go out and practice. Don't let a few fast drivers scare you from putting in your laps. If anything, just watching their car as they drive around you will make you a better driver. There are just a few simple guidelines to follow when you are practicing that many newbies aren't familiar with and aren't always taught properly because its just second nature.

1) Do not stop on the straightaway, ever. Not even for a moment.

2) Do not drive backwards on any part of the track, ever. Not even one corner.

3) Do not stop on the racing line/in the groove, ever.

99.99% of the problems I see when mixing newbies and seasoned vets are issues where seasoned vet A crashed into newbie B while newbie B was driving backwards down the straightaway during practice. Vet A breaks car and is sent home for not having a replacement part. Vet A then breaks newbie B's neck (not really but you know Vet A was thinking it).

Remember at all times, when you are on the track, you are on a RACING CIRCUIT. It should be treated as such. Start the kids off the right way by teaching them to respect the fact that they are on a genuine race track.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

A lot of good ideas on this thread. The best one being that the kids should be driving from the driver's stand and not from the track area. As always safety first.

Have you tried talking to the "expert" driver about the situation? It sounds like you are having a problem with one driver in particular. Perhaps you can work out a schedule with him to share the track? If he is any kind of real expert he is going to want to run one tank/pack then go back and wrench for 30 min or so to get ready for the next run. You guys could run during his wrenching time, and vice versa. It gives him free track time and time to wrench, and the kids some downtime to watch an expert drive and try to pick up some pointers.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gubbs3
Obviously I'm not the first to say that kids should not be on the track when there are vehicles present. I should add that kids will be kids and no matter how disciplined they may be, there will be times when they simply don't get off the track when another vehicle is put down. It is best to teach every kid that visits the track that the track is for turn marshals only, AT ALL TIMES, PERIOD.

When it comes to practicing. By all means, go out and practice. Don't let a few fast drivers scare you from putting in your laps. If anything, just watching their car as they drive around you will make you a better driver. There are just a few simple guidelines to follow when you are practicing that many newbies aren't familiar with and aren't always taught properly because its just second nature.

1) Do not stop on the straightaway, ever. Not even for a moment.

2) Do not drive backwards on any part of the track, ever. Not even one corner.

3) Do not stop on the racing line/in the groove, ever.

99.99% of the problems I see when mixing newbies and seasoned vets are issues where seasoned vet A crashed into newbie B while newbie B was driving backwards down the straightaway during practice. Vet A breaks car and is sent home for not having a replacement part. Vet A then breaks newbie B's neck (not really but you know Vet A was thinking it).

Remember at all times, when you are on the track, you are on a RACING CIRCUIT. It should be treated as such. Start the kids off the right way by teaching them to respect the fact that they are on a genuine race track.
your three rules - I kinda agree with, but during practice with kids on the track, that aint gonna happend, plus I think it good for those thing to happen stopping in the middle of the track - make for a better driver - when you are racing, there are plenty of stopages in the middle of the track - you just have to go around
Old 10-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i believe this matter can be solved very easily

if you have fast guys racing on the track, let them race with your children (As long as they are on the stand). all you have to do is make sure they are watching out for the other fast guys. if its a very low volume of people, tell your child to take the outside line so he can go by. its only ONE turn and then how long until they show up behind you again? its the same thing if youre going to get lapped by the leader, let them by and then rejoin the groove.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by The Juice
I'll throw in my 2 cents since I'm a newbie to racing and this site. ........I'm getting back into this hobby after being out for several years and I would have to say that the "pros or experts" are a big turn off and not very helpful. Most seem to have the opinion that the rtr and begginner models are bad and get angry when they are around. Its to bad they cant see the benefits these rtr models bring to the hoby as a whole.
That's too bad right there. As a "Pro" driver myself, I really try to make sure that those "RTR" guys have as much help as possible. There is nothing worse for our hobby than some Pro guy who thinks he is too good to help out the beginners. We were all beginners once and if you can help out other beginners it will just make your particular track flourish. I think anyone should be allowed to drive on the track as long is they aren't driving a car that demolishes the track (like a 1/5 scale). There absolutely should not be kids running around the track when others are practicing as that is a recipe for disaster. If they want to drive from the stand...great.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Initiate

some interesting thoughts but here is my thought (not that im telling what to do but have some common sense)its a race track for rc cars not a playground people go there to have fun and race there cars/trucks and some people go to get away from there wife and kids not to be annoyed by yours(i mean running on the track when thats not safe or what it was made for) i think your answer is if you want to take your kids i think thats great but just ask them to respect the track rules and as far as no one being there that should be the perfect time for you to teach them the rules,how to drive,marshal,and pitting if they dont want to then its probally time to find a different hobby to do with your kids and save the track time for just you well hope i gave you the answer you were looking for
Old 10-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

People bring up good points about kids being on the track (or anyone for that matter); and surely the racers wanting to practice get angry because they don't want to hurt the kids by going fast.

But... It's unreasonable to say that no one should be on the track except for marshals. I try to walk new tracks I visit... are you saying I shouldn't be able to walk the track because someone else wants to go all out?

It's also unreasonable for me to spend an hour ditzing around on the track while people are waiting.

How about being mature and discussing the situation w/ the other group of guys? Surely you don't need to spend more than 15 or 20 minutes with a kid walking around a track following their car. And surely the racer won't mind waiting 15 or 20 minutes before being able to get on the track.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

We have a local father son who I am friends with. Noah is often on the track driving his slash or buggy, he is 3-4. Usually this happens before people get there. Once people show up Noah, goes and plays with other things off the track.

Keep in mind that once racers show up to practice or race that they are doing what the track is designed for. So it's time for your little buddy to give way to those who are racing. I have kids and I am also a experienced racer who has done it a long time.

The little ones can play at home and chase them. You could also sign them up to race, put them on the stand and let them crash a ll over the place and have a blast while you corner for them. That way they are off the track and in a safe place, others can also run without fear of hurting a kid.

All it takes is one shot with a truck/buggy, etc to the head and you will regret ever letting them "play" like that.

Good luck Bob and stay at it
Old 10-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kuruption
People bring up good points about kids being on the track (or anyone for that matter); and surely the racers wanting to practice get angry because they don't want to hurt the kids by going fast.

But... It's unreasonable to say that no one should be on the track except for marshals. I try to walk new tracks I visit... are you saying I shouldn't be able to walk the track because someone else wants to go all out?

It's also unreasonable for me to spend an hour ditzing around on the track while people are waiting.

How about being mature and discussing the situation w/ the other group of guys? Surely you don't need to spend more than 15 or 20 minutes with a kid walking around a track following their car. And surely the racer won't mind waiting 15 or 20 minutes before being able to get on the track.
so are you going to walk in a new track while practice is going on? The thing Bob mentioned I think is not the fact that his kids "cars" are on the track, its his KIDS along with the cars on the track walking behind them. If someone has a issue with Bob's kids "CARS" being on the track then they need to get over it....

I have seen a 5 year old get hit because his parents let him do the same very thing. He was hit in the head by a 10 pound truggy, busted his head open, he went went into a seizure and lost vision in one eye(somewhat). It's not a real good thing to see.

A race track is for "all to use". But they make a driverstand for a reason and most tracks have rules and charge entry fees. anyone is free to "walk" the track just not during practice or racing....
Old 10-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MotoGod
People also pay money and travel to go have fun with their kids....
please see my last post. It's ok to spend money to have fun with your kids...

have fun and get them on the driverstand so they are safe...
Old 10-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ABURTON
so are you going to walk in a new track while practice is going on? The thing Bob mentioned I think is not the fact that his kids "cars" are on the track, its his KIDS along with the cars on the track walking behind them. If someone has a issue with Bob's kids "CARS" being on the track then they need to get over it....

I have seen a 5 year old get hit because his parents let him do the same very thing. He was hit in the head by a 10 pound truggy, busted his head open, he went went into a seizure and lost vision in one eye(somewhat). It's not a real good thing to see.

A race track is for "all to use". But they make a driverstand for a reason and most tracks have rules and charge entry fees. anyone is free to "walk" the track just not during practice or racing....
+1 even the pits can get rough. i see alot of pops and the kids running slashes,best thing to come out in this hobby !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.